test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Captain Phillips

ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Ten Forward
Okay, so I just watched the film Captain Phillips. I have to say, it is probably the best film I, personally, have ever seen. For those of you who don't know, the film is based on a true story about (SPOILER) a US Maersk Cargo Ship Captain who is abducted by Somali Pirates.

The film does a great job of keeping the tension going for the entire run-time and the ending in particular was incredibly powerful and profound. It almost had me in tears because of how powerful it was. The actor who played Captain Phillips did a spectacular job making you connect with the character and conveying how he felt, and the cast as a whole was great. I would definitely recommend watching this film!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    My only knowledge of this film is that it keeps popping up from Google when I'm trying to search for Captain America :P.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    By the way OP, the name of the actor is Tom Hanks.
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    By the way OP, the name of the actor is Tom Hanks.

p, remembered his name shortly after posting. He was phenomenal, if you ask me.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    My only knowledge of this film is that it keeps popping up from Google when I'm trying to search for Captain America :P.

I'd definitely suggest giving it a watch. Thoroughly enjoyable and definitely emotional. It really did get me engrossed into the situation, watching every single second.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ryan218 wrote: »
    p, remembered his name shortly after posting. He was phenomenal, if you ask me.

Hanks has had a long, phenomenal career. Hell, I still remember when he started out for doing comedic roles both on TV and on the big screen. Look up "Bosom Buddies" and you'll see some of the stuff the man had to do to get his name out.

By the mid-late 80's, many knew who he was, but IMO, he didn't have that big hit to move his career up. In '94, he did "Forrest Gump," a more serious role for him and the film's success and critical acclaim was the role he needed to truly make it big. From that point on, he was starting to get great roles and the recognition.

Very happy for the man. Entertainment business is brutal, but he made it big.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
  • Options
    grace58grace58 Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "I am the captain now" :D
    I thought it was a great movie. I was on the edge of my seat a few times and then when I thought I could breath again there I was like, OH MY GOD! :eek:
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Tom Hanks can make doing a load of laundry interesting, but you're right; it was an excellent movie.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is all.