test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stargate Hail Ba'al Rambling

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    (Like Rose said, K-13 is trying to keep a low profile. Not sure if the station's weapons are fully restored. Also do we really have to go through a long court martial? Its kind of an open and shut case of AWOL. I'm kinda wondering why the fight over the legal issues.)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nickkyana#2794 nickkyana Member Posts: 16,152 Arc User
    (Weapons should be up. We also have defensive platforms. And for keeping a low profile... we do have one of the largest ships right there. So much for low profile with a terran universe class right there. The problem isn't that Its an open and shut case. The problem is that Raneson wants legal counsel of her choosing and it's being denied to her which is a big red flag.

Just throw her a bone and give her a lawyer of her choosing or it may be used in the future as a mistrial with rights withheld. Basically looks like a kangaroo court. Even if we all know she did it, just saying "hey, were not going to follow regulations on this cause its faster" makes everyone else involved look really bad. Just because we know she did it doesnt mean we sacrifice her rights just to make this faster. This is the federation, not a fascist Germany)
    "We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future. In our struggle to survive the present, we push the future farther away. Will I see it in my lifetime? Probably not. Which means there's no time to waste. Someday the world will no longer need us. No need for the gun, or the hand to pull the trigger." -Punished Snake
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    (Three things: first, it's an arraignment hearing. It's established Starfleet protocol that if a qualified lawyer or JAG advocate isn't available, the slot can be filled with command-rank officers (TNG: The Measure of a Man). Secondly, this is a major military base, isn't it? Low profile or not, are we really saying this station doesn't have a JAG's staff on board? Third, desertion/absence without leave in the US UCMJ is considered a summary offence except in severe or repeat cases; as is insubordination: in other words, Raneson wouldn't necessarily face a court martial - her CO would be within her rights to penalise her summarily.

P.S. I hate to be nitpicky, but Starfleet has it's own version of the UCMJ - it's referred to in ST:2009 as the 'Starfleet Code'. Aside from that, Starfleet Regulations in general seems to cover a great deal of legal concerns.)
  • Options
    (There is also the grand theft spacecraft and destruction of property. Also I hate to be nitpicky too but that is a completely different timeline and probably shouldn't apply here)
    "We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future. In our struggle to survive the present, we push the future farther away. Will I see it in my lifetime? Probably not. Which means there's no time to waste. Someday the world will no longer need us. No need for the gun, or the hand to pull the trigger." -Punished Snake
  • Options
    (Considering it branched off in 2233... I don't see how it would be that different from Prime Timeline regs. Both versions of Starfleet seem to function the same, although obvious technological differences from Narada scan data are present.)

Gaia: Yea... been sleeping a lot lately.
    Krystal: *stirs a bit*
    Ezri: *comes out and gets breakfast*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    (There is also the grand theft spacecraft and destruction of property. Also I hate to be nitpicky too but that is a completely different timeline and probably shouldn't apply here)

(That would constitute barratry in maritime law, but I can't find reference to how it would be dealt with under military law. I would agree that it would constitute a Court Martial offence, though.

Kelvin only branches off from Prime 20 years before the fact canonically, and still doesn't change the fact that many Prime regulations deal with legal matters.)
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    Jessica: I'll be there shortly. *She ends the call and hugs her kids* Don't worry... I'll be back soon to make up for it.

(I was just planning on having us set up the trial and skip over it to the punishment since it's an open and shut case)
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Nick: Its understandable in your condition, love. I'm just glad I'm able to be here with you. and since you didn't ask... the mission was a success... we brought Renia back... she should be with Krystal, I'd imagine.

(Y'know, I'm going through all these regulations and I'm not seeing any that would apply here, Ryan.

And if its just gonna be an open and shut cause. just give Raneson her lawyer. no issue there. Tickle her funny bone. not gonna matter in the long run. )
  • Options
    Nick: Its understandable in your condition, love. I'm just glad I'm able to be here with you. and since you didn't ask... the mission was a success... we brought Renia back... she should be with Krystal, I'd imagine.

(Y'know, I'm going through all these regulations and I'm not seeing any that would apply here, Ryan)

(None specifically to this case, but there are tons dealing with legal matters more broadly, including several references to the regulations when dealing with legal matters, rather than a UCMJ (which implies that the laws codified in the UCMJ are instead part of Starfleet Regulations, which wouldn't be surprising - military law in the UK is enshrined in the Armed Forces Act (2006), rather than a military code.)
  • Options
    (We've also seen on screen how they go. Spock was aware of his right to a counsel of his choice in TOS: The Menagerie part 1. He waived it and chose to represent himself. in TOS: Court Martial. Kirk was also allowed to chose his counsel, which he took advantage of. Why shouldn't Raneson be allowed the same?

and this is a whole other thing but memory alpha says; "No fewer than three officers of command or flag rank comprised the court. The senior officer of the court martial acted as the President of the Court." and jessica seemingly being the only one judging raises another issue of this being a kangaroo court. but that's a whole other issue.)
  • Options
    (We've also seen on screen how they go. Spock was aware of his right to a counsel of his choice in TOS: The Menagerie part 1. He waived it and chose to represent himself. in TOS: Court Martial. Kirk was also allowed to chose his counsel, which he took advantage of. Why shouldn't Raneson be allowed the same?

and this is a whole other thing but memory alpha says; "No fewer than three officers of command or flag rank comprised the court. The senior officer of the court martial acted as the President of the Court." and jessica seemingly being the only one judging raises another issue of this being a kangaroo court. but that's a whole other issue.)

(Except it's not a Court Martial - it's an arraignment. The Court Martial following the arraignment would require three command officers (which, given there's a Federation Task Force parked outside, shouldn't be difficult). If Raneson really wants a JAG or civilian advocate of her choice, that may well preclude the trial taking place on K-17 if an appropriate qualified advocate can't be found (which brings us back to the point that K-17 is a major base: it should have a JAG staff on board already.))
  • Options
    (Memory alpha also says: "A member of the service who stood accused was presumed innocent until proven guilty, and the service member was entitled to counsel at the preliminary hearing as well as the general court martial." In TOS: The Menagerie part 1, Spock was offered counsel and he waved it himself. this was at the arraignment stage and he requested it immediately go to court martial. also i think you mean K-13, not 17. I only brought up the court martial things since It likely would go that way and jessica seemed to want to do it herself)
  • Options
    (Jessica doesn't have to do it herself there's really no reason to make such a big deal about it the evidence is overwhelmingly against Raneson, she's going to be found guilty and punished we don't have to go that in depth about it. Its physically impossible for her to not be found guilty because she is actually guilty and an entire starbase is aware of what she did. Its just a matter of fast forwarding through the trial so she can be given her punishment and so Seven can finally do stuff with Raneson again)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    (Yes. she is guilty. she will most likely plea guilty. but memory alpha also says "After finding of guilt was entered, or if the accused had pleaded guilty, the defendant was allowed to introduce evidence that either mitigated or explained guilt" Which in Raneson's case could be done. Hell, spock got to after he plead guilty and an entire ship knew what he did. he was able to get off not guilty. not saying it's the same here but Where is the justice?)
  • Options
    (Yes and we can explain that over the skip. Raneson can say that she had a decent defense explaining her guilt or something, this isn't something we have to go all out on and was supposed to be skipped over in the background)
  • Options
    (Then just let her pick her lawyer instead of forcing rose on her)
  • Options
    (Memory alpha also says: "A member of the service who stood accused was presumed innocent until proven guilty, and the service member was entitled to counsel at the preliminary hearing as well as the general court martial." In TOS: The Menagerie part 1, Spock was offered counsel and he waved it himself. this was at the arraignment stage and he requested it immediately go to court martial. also i think you mean K-13, not 17. I only brought up the court martial things since It likely would go that way and jessica seemed to want to do it herself)

(Yes, and Spock's arraignment stage was only conducted with a single Command officer presiding.

On the matter of Grand Theft Starship, etc, I found some laws in the UK Armed Forces Act that applies.

Section 24: Damage to, or loss of, public or service property. This is subject to summary hearing, with a max sentence of 2-10 years at court martial (max of two for negligent/reckless damage, max of 10 for intentional).

However, Section 31: Hazarding a ship (Intentionally, without lawful excuse, or recklessly damaging, stranding or causing the loss of a military ship; or negligently hazarding a military ship). In both cases, the penalty is mandatory court martial, with a max sentence of 2 years to life (again, two years for negligent, life for intentional).

There isn't a law about theft of service property, but I would imagine this falls under section 24. So, under UK military law, Raneson could be charged under Section 24 for the theft of the fighter and Section 31 for hazarding the ship itself. The section 24 offence was deliberate, so a max possible sentence of 10 years, plus another 2 under Section 31.

Now, we've already agreed that Raneson will get off lightly because Starfleet needs officers of her calibre, but the main point is that assuming Starfleet has an equivalent to Sections 24 and 31 of the Armed Forces Act (which we know it does from Kirk's Court Martial), Raneson would face a Court Martial under Section 31 offences at least (and given the Section 24 offence is related, she'd probably be Court-Martialled for that too), so my point on summary judgement can be ignored. Also, she'd probably also be open to trial under Sections 2 and 3 as well as Section 12.

If anyone's interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offences_against_military_law_in_the_United_Kingdom)
  • Options
    (Then can we just give her the lawyer she wants and proceed? )
  • Options
    (Then can we just give her the lawyer she wants and proceed? )

(When Rose and Seven get back and make that happen in-character, yes. I don't see why not.)
  • Options
    (Good, cause that was the main issue. Wasn't worried too much about the command officer thing at this point, I was just Mentioning that in case anyone tried and how it could come back to bite)
  • Options
    icerose20icerose20 Member Posts: 18,379 Arc User
    (who the hell is going to over turn the proceddings? McManus? Eight? Charlie Brown?)
    Ancient Griffon insult

That one is so stupid, he lost a Rock/Paper/Scissors game to a Pony.
  • Options
    Gaia: I hope so. Don't know what I'd do in her shoes. I may be a lot like her but... I'm not her.
  • Options
    (Maybe someone who lived through or studied the Post-atomic horror on earth and the state of near-barbarism that followed the credo "Kill all the lawyers," and "Guilty until proven innocent." maybe someone who actually will care about justice instead of throwing things to the wind without care. maybe someone that realizes they are a starfleet officer, not someone who thinks they're a drill sergeant in a bootcamp that could care less.)

Nick: Gaia.... I know you're not her... I don't think you are her. You are you and i love you for who you are... you mean everything to me... and... I don't know what I'd do either in that situation... Something like hopefully never will happen in regards to us... So i don't want to be paralyzed by fear of things that likely will never happen... *Kisses her cheek* I think Krystal and Renia will need time to recover... I think you and I should help any way we can... Even if they just want you because I'm just... barely anyone important to them. I will support that if it comes to it. she is your sister after all... *Takes Gaia's hand, looking at her with caring eyes*
  • Options
    Gaia: *nods* Funny thing is... I wonder if she would have done the things I've done had she not been in Starfleet. I'm no angel. I've done some pretty bad things. But the War... I turned things around because of the War. And... having a family became very important to me after my... my husband disappeared.

Being a Pirate Queen wasn't easy when you're alone.
  • Options
    Nick: I understand.... I know you may never forget him... But I'm here for you and i love you... I've been alone for a long, long time... but since... meeting you... I feel like I've forgotten that... I don't want to remember how it felt to be that alone... Look at where we are... where we started... we're a family now... Every second with you is another second to add to the best times of my life... I may have been alive a long time before meeting you, but... Now it feels more than anything that life has truly begun since You came into my life... I sound like a gibbering, lovestruck idiot, don't I? *Grins goofily before kissing Gaia*
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    (jesus christ, what is it with you people and massive overuse of trailing periods?! once or twice per paragraph is enough

and you know raneson can only be charged with the theft of that fighter if it didn't belong to her personally...like when alex ran off with the conundrum, HE owned that ship, not starfleet)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    icerose20icerose20 Member Posts: 18,379 Arc User
    (You.....Mean......Like.......THIS........)
    Ancient Griffon insult

That one is so stupid, he lost a Rock/Paper/Scissors game to a Pony.
  • Options
    (There's still the damage to K-13 as well.)

Gaia: Yea... you kinda did.
  • Options
    Nick: I mean what i said though. I love you and we are a family... at least the start of it... i mean in.. like... a closer spectrum not the whole wider kind involving your sisters and everyone else... You get what i mean i hope. You're important to me, I know I'm important to you. and we're making a life together. a life I'm happy with and can be proud of. I hope you feel the same way about that part but i don't wanna assume or speak for you.
  • Options
    (jesus christ, what is it with you people and massive overuse of trailing periods?! once or twice per paragraph is enough

and you know raneson can only be charged with the theft of that fighter if it didn't belong to her personally...like when alex ran off with the conundrum, HE owned that ship, not starfleet)​​
    rattler2 wrote: »
    (There's still the damage to K-13 as well.)

Gaia: Yea... you kinda did.

(Which...would...still...fall...under...section...31...(Hazarding...a...Ship)...so...

*Sarcasm mode disengaging*)