test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boosts on Risa PvP Race

skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User
Does anybody know how they work?

When I jump alone I allways get the buff. When going with someone else at the "same" time I often don't get the buff. At my last race another surfer and me wen't over a speed pad and he got the speed up and I fell behind.
Post edited by skk1701j on

Comments

• jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    The ramps simply have a power that they apply that gives a speed boost while the race is active.

The speed boost arrows turn "on" when the first racer has passed them. Second and subsequent racers get a boost, and the amount of boost is larger the further behind the racer is (with a cap after a certain number of racers).
  • skk1701jskk1701j Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jheinig wrote: »
    The ramps simply have a power that they apply that gives a speed boost while the race is active.

The speed boost arrows turn "on" when the first racer has passed them. Second and subsequent racers get a boost, and the amount of boost is larger the further behind the racer is (with a cap after a certain number of racers).

When im first with superior against rend/green hoverboats, I get the speed on every ramp and arrow. When it comes to close races (1m distance), I often see just one getting the glow. One time with 3 superior, I was first after start with a few meter distance. In the end I was more than 60m away. As first I got every boost, but as told later, the other two didn't got the buff every ramp/arrow. When 2+ player use a ramp at the same time, others and me have the feeling, that just one gets the boost. Probably it's just visual, because not allways they can not get away.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014

I'm afraid I haven't found this to be the case, I regularly run in 2nd or 3rd position and I've had no buff what so ever, sometimes I do but even then I certainly don't notice any scaling in the buffs strength at all.

I take it that shouldn't happen?
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
    edited June 2014
    I'm afraid I haven't found this to be the case, I regularly run in 2nd or 3rd position and I've had no buff what so ever, sometimes I do but even then I certainly don't notice any scaling in the buffs strength at all.

I take it that shouldn't happen?

The only diffence is jumps give 50% and arrow give 100% speed (tooltip on buff)
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2014
    skk1701j wrote: »
    The only diffence is jumps give 50% and arrow give 100% speed (tooltip on buff)

Regardless, still doesn't sound like it's working as intended, I'd just be curious how the dynamics of the race would change if they were working right.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited June 2014

This is simply not the case.

The ramps do give a speed boost, but they seem to also count as "ground" meaning that you slow down as you go over the ramp, and the boost doesn't make up for it. It's why so many people who know the track simply skip a couple of the ramps when it's close. The boost doesn't make up for the length of time the ramp adds to you.

As for the arrows, this is totally not the case. I've won more races by being the first across the red arrows and "stealing" the boost from those behind me. If it's a close race and I'm following someone closely, the moment the first person crosses the arrow, they get a huge boost and I get none, meaning their increase grows. A fleet mate and I race all the time in these races, and we've pretty much gotten to the point where whoever is in first after going under the arcs, they're going to win.

You can kind of change this a bit if you're in 2nd place by slowing down a notch (usually by hitting a ramp) and letting the red arrow recharge then hope that the person in first is going to hit the ramps you skip.

But yeah, the speed boost ALWAYS applys to the first person crossing it, then it goes into recharge mode (usually a second or three) before it pops back up. Ramp speed boost does not offset the speed slow down of jumping a ramp. It comes out about equal or slightly slower then sometimes just skipping the ramp and going around it.
  • gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited June 2014

I've gone over ramps and not received a boost. I've ridden over a boost arrow and not received a boost while I've ridden near boost arrows (and in-between boost arrows) and received a boost. I've also ridden over a boost and ramp, independent of each other, with a competitor and the competitor received a boost and I did not.

I first avoided the ramps as I noticed that my engine stops on it and I seemed to actually catch up to competitors a bit by just going around them. Only recently I started to try out ramps.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • doubleogtrigondoubleogtrigon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I can confirm what other players are reporting here. First across the red arrows does get a boost, 2nd+ across does not give a bigger boost, and there is a slight (~1 second) cooldown/recharge before the ramps/arrows will boost the next player. So if two players go over one neck and neck only the player slightly ahead will receive the boost.

FYI you go slightly slower in Shooter mode than RPG mode, and Frosted Boots seem to work as well.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Boosts suck. If I'm right behind some guy on a ramp HE gets the boost and I get none! Is there some ramp boost cool-down?!?. Add that to the P2W boards and the finish line's stupid grab the flag mechanic and the race is one big SNAFU. :mad:

Yeah, is very very broke, bro. Don't do cute mechanics if you can't make them work right.
    So glad we tested this on Tribble... oh wait... we didn't. Hell, Risa STILL isn't even working on Tribble.
    edited June 2014
    It is not allways the first getting the buff.

Last race I was first with a half boat length advanced infront of 3 others. I didn't get the bonus. One of the others get the glow, but no buff/speed.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Last three races in a row I have come in second or third because of these stupid dodgy boosts, even though my racing is flawless and I know the track now like the back of my hand

Scenario.
    I lead significantly and go over ramps and red tiles, get no boosts, but players behind me get uber boosts and zip effortlessly past me.

Its infuriating. :mad:
  • prrgg1prrgg1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2014

Yeah, having done the race as many times as I have, I can safely say that's not how they're working. It seems like whoever hits the thing first gets a boost, then it has a short cool down, but enough to TRIBBLE over anyone right behind the person that gets the boost.
  • prrgg1prrgg1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    skk1701j wrote: »
    It is not allways the first getting the buff.

Last race I was first with a half boat length advanced infront of 3 others. I didn't get the bonus. One of the others get the glow, but no buff/speed.

Keep lag in mind, being half a length in front probably shows up as slightly behind to the server.