test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The water reflections on Risa don't make a lot of sense

kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
http://starbaseugc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/036.jpg

I don't understand what I am seeing here. Where is this reflection coming from?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by kirksplat on

Comments

• somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    "Don't you know anything about science!?"

(no, the reflections, while looking cool, don't make much sense at all)
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The resort is clearly an illusion created by the fairy who lives in the mountain.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    The resort is clearly an illusion created by the fairy who lives in the mountain.

Clearly the resort was handcrafted from fine vampire bones.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

STO handles reflections via the use of something called a "Sphere map"... I think. It's like a backwards skyfile that gets used for reflections.

Anyways, reflections are only a vague approximation of what's being reflected. In that case, I think it's simply offset. on the left side I can see what looks like a building... a distant building.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014

You are seeing what's called a Cubemap. It's a method to fake reflections. (Real time reflections are still very expensive, and not something we do).

All of our reflections in game use cubemaps. It's essentially a texture of everything around a certain point in the map. The problem is that that cubemap is only perfectly accurate when you are standing in the point it was taken from. It becomes less and less accurate the farther you get from that point.

In general, this works well for small maps, interiors, etc. because you're not generally too far away from that point. However, the distortion occurs on every map.

The issue here, is that we have one cubemap for the entire Risa Island map, and since that is only accurate for a single point on the island, everywhere else will technically be wrong.

Still, overall, it's better now, than when Risa's water was reflecting the Golden Gate Bridge. . .
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

The issue here, is that we have one cubemap for the entire Risa Island map, and since that is only accurate for a single point on the island, everywhere else will technically be wrong.

Still, overall, it's better now, than when Risa's water was reflecting the Golden Gate Bridge. . .

Perhaps it's a problem that the cubemap is most inaccurate at the most populated spot on the island world. It seems like no reflection would be preferable to a reflection that is always disorienting and inaccurate. I will search for a spot where the reflection makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    I'm going to guess that it's the spawn point.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited June 2014
    How do reflections work on those water volumes you just put in the Foundry? I noticed there seems to be some kind of reflection on it, even if it doesn't reflect any actual geometry.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    How do reflections work on those water volumes you just put in the Foundry? I noticed there seems to be some kind of reflection on it, even if it doesn't reflect any actual geometry.

They're based on the lighting scheme you select for the map.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2014
    Perhaps it's a problem that the cubemap is most inaccurate at the most populated spot on the island world. It seems like no reflection would be preferable to a reflection that is always disorienting and inaccurate. I will search for a spot where the reflection makes sense.

In general, the cubemap is taken from a central location, so as to be most equidistant from everything. I don't know where this one was taken, but given it's an island, it's a fair bet that the center would be under the island, and unusable. We could have taken it from in front of the resort, but it seems to me that it would be just as distracting (if not more so) if you saw the resort reflected in the water around the rest of the island, even on the far side, no where near the resort. Again, I'm guessing, but I'd say the image was taken somewhere with few buildings in view, because 90% of the island is plants and hills and rocks, and so, even if you're near a building, there are still plants and hills and rocks around.

drogyn1701 wrote: »

There is a default cubemap, set by the system, so that there is always SOMETHING to reflect, even if we environment artists don't manually set a cubemap for a given map. That default cubemap (if I recall) is mostly sky, and vague, blurry shapes. So it *kind of* works wherever. However, it's also fairly bright, and can be more noticeable on darker maps.

We (Env Artists) set which cubemap to use, within the skyfile. I'd guess that some of your backgrounds (which call on our skyfiles) will have non-default cubemaps assigned to them.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
    edited June 2014
    well, I just spent a few minutes looking around... it seems to be a part of the shoreline, but I'm not sure which shore. It might be the hotel area without the hotel.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We (Env Artists) set which cubemap to use, within the skyfile. I'd guess that some of your backgrounds (which call on our skyfiles) will have non-default cubemaps assigned to them.

It's too bad that you guys are stuck with cubemaps instead of proper reflection tech.

You guys do such beautiful things with what you have; I'd LOVE to see what you could do with a proper engine that's not rooted in 15 years ago.

(This is more of a complement and a wistful "*sigh* if only" than a knock on the game. Like I said, you do beautiful work.)
  • cavaleriuscavalerius Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    adwynyth wrote: »
    It's too bad that you guys are stuck with cubemaps instead of proper reflection tech.

You guys do such beautiful things with what you have; I'd LOVE to see what you could do with a proper engine that's not rooted in 15 years ago.

(This is more of a complement and a wistful "*sigh* if only" than a knock on the game. Like I said, you do beautiful work.)

Have to agree. For all the badmouthing I do on the forums about the devs, they do release some beautiful work. Just imagine what they could do if given a million or two in funding to upgrade their engine.

*Sighs*
    Go away imagination...
    Beta Antares Shipyards advanced Starship development project.
    CLASSIFIED
    [SIGPIC]the_forseeable_future_by_jetfreak_7-d3dvsud.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    SUPPORT LOGICAL FEDERATION STARSHIP DESIGNS!
    edited June 2014
    adwynyth wrote: »

While it would probably look pretty... I shudder to think about what it'd do to framerates....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd guess that the OP"s reflection is...well it's definitely the volcano, maybe at the grotto?
    You are seeing what's called a Cubemap. It's a method to fake reflections. (Real time reflections are still very expensive, and not something we do).

All of our reflections in game use cubemaps. It's essentially a texture of everything around a certain point in the map. The problem is that that cubemap is only perfectly accurate when you are standing in the point it was taken from. It becomes less and less accurate the farther you get from that point.

In general, this works well for small maps, interiors, etc. because you're not generally too far away from that point. However, the distortion occurs on every map.

Yes, I'd say that's a substantial improvement over Golden Gate.

I find it odd, I was doing some high flying heading to build a sand castle and I had this beautiful shot (wish I'd taken a picture) of the moon reflecting off of the water and it looked real time and amazing.

And as always thanks for the educational since I had no clue what cube mapping was.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"