Install Arc

kdf is a joke

12346»

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    He's in night of the comet.

Yes but, you don't know him from the present as a Klingon war mongerer who wants nothing more than endless war. Back then he's simply a KDF officer.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Too bad that if you start with a KDF char in STO from the get-go, you wouldn't even know that a person with such name exists, let alone understand who he is.

The thing here is the sloppy writing that's all over the place and that Cryptic has the attention span of a goldfish. The PC killing B'Vat doesn't grind the war to a halt, it's just what Cryptic does with every story arc in this game - they pick it up, let it fall flat on it's face without any substantial conclusion and then forget about it, jumping to the next thing that grabs their attention.
    For example, on the KDF side the war grinds to a halt right after you stage a bold attack on Utopia Planetia - you strike the heart of the Federation and then nothing happens, that's it. The end.

For a story that had the game revolving around it for 4 years, Cryptic sure did a TRIBBLE poor job in presenting the war and doing a substantial and logical storyline that would accompany it.

Completely true.

You can take what you said about B'vat (we don't know anything about him via KDF missions) and the Federation-Klingon War, and apply that to the original take of Species 8472 (they were dropped from any attention like a person newly found to be a leper), the Borg, the Elachi (LOL, the Elachi... Only the Roms were really dealing with them with any significance. KDF & Feds barely knew about them), the Voth, and after some more time, 8472 again.

The general trend Cryptic has is they don't follow through on the story. 8472 has been the ONLY thing they've come back to, and it took them 3.5 years since the release of STO to do that.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The general trend Cryptic has is they don't follow through on the story. 8472 has been the ONLY thing they've come back to, and it took them 3.5 years since the release of STO to do that.

Guess we will just have to wait that for any other enemy. Eventually we'll get back around full circle to others like Tholians, Borg, etc.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Yes but, you don't know him from the present as a Klingon war mongerer who wants nothing more than endless war. Back then he's simply a KDF officer.

Though at least in the early days an NPC for the Klingon faction did mention the guy as being important.
    apply that to the original take of Species 8472 (they were dropped from any attention like a person newly found to be a leper)

Though with the Borg front revamp I'm wondering if that may be becuase they were off screen exterminating the Borg, which may explain why the Borg started a war with the Voth all of a sudden.

So getting into the Delta Quadrant might get the Borg and Voth back into focus.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    There are a lot of conflicts that are (at least for the moment) over, or at least on a low simmer.

Of the top of my head, we've dealt with the Tholians (kept them from steeling the Mirror Oddy), Breen (The archive they wanted was useless), Tal Shiar (Sela vanished, plans to destroy Vulcan ended, Borg upgrade project halted, Empire in disarray), True Way (Gul Muldred is in prison), Fed/Kling (War's over), Borg (destroyed the Borg Queen again, halted their advance, cured their nanite plague), Elachi (Destroyed the base they were attacking the Republic from), Fek'lhiri (slew Fel'lhir and discovered they may have been created by science) and Mirror Universe (returned the Orb).

Most of these threats are still around, but aren't a major threat at the moment. Some of them may come back in the future, some were isolated threats that one ship (your's) has dealt with. The progression may be maked by the ability to redo content, but it does exist, and it does not neccessarily indicate that we're fighting sixteen simultaneous World Wars.

The Undine were always around, but were not waging open war. They were manipulating the Federation and Klingon Empire from the inside. Others may return as well . . . I'll be surprised if we go into the Delta Quadrant and never go on the offensive against the Borg Collective.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The Elachi to should stay a RR only thing tbh, they may of been a threat to the Romulans at the time as they were in disarray, but if they irked the KDF or Starfleet they would of been blown to bits in short order by either of their fleets.
  • shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    The Elachi to should stay a RR only thing tbh, they may of been a threat to the Romulans at the time as they were in disarray, but if they irked the KDF or Starfleet they would of been blown to bits in short order by either of their fleets.

As far as I can tell, unlike a lot of species in this game, the Elachi are direct servants of the Iconians, and therefore have access to some pretty terrible technology and an unknown (but likely vast) amount of resources, with a heavy interest in drone warfare to augment their (admitting weak) infantry.

We've never seen where they're from, but it does take Starfleet, the KDF, and the Republic Navy to fight them off at New Romulus, so I doubt that they are pushovers by anyone's measure.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    zipagat wrote: »

The Rom Republic is in the alliance now though. So the Elachi problem is an alliance problem.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Right now the threat focus is from these alien races;

Undine, Voth, Elachi, an Iconians

Dyson Sphere as the on going Undine (battle-zone: space) and Voth (battle-zone: space and ground)

Beyond the sphere, more story line missions on these alien races. Starting with going to their home world would be good starting point. I sure there are more threats we all just don't know about yet to face with?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    give this guy an unlimited vacation package in Rura Penthe
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Scantily-clad women? Who would have thought imaginative people would do such a thing in an MMO? The tools for such things are out there, no doubt. Since that seems to be making money for Cryptic (Costume sales), they're not going to say much about that. I'm assuming, though, that CBS had a hand in the decision that swimwear would only be allowed on Risa, and not allowed off-world. Evidently there is a line somewhere that Cryptic doesn't want, or is not allowed to cross when it comes to clothing (at least some types) in STO.

The only reason the KDF would appear to be a joke (and it's not a joke at all to me. Personally, I love playing KDF side) is the fact that the KDF side of this game is treated as nothing more than a TRIBBLE stepchild.

Remember back at the beginning of the game? We couldn't even roll a KDF toon until Level 20, and even then, KDF was supposedly to be pretty much only PvP. The missions we did get were added later because of a (at least a long time ago) massive interest in making the KDF side more of a playable faction and not just a side to choose for PvP.

Sadly, in the beginning, the missions the KDF did get were merely copy/pasted Federation content with some different imagery and the devs didn't even take the time to even change the mission text for a bunch of them. It wasn't until much later that the KDF got any individual attention, and even then, it was only as an afterthought. Granted, the KDF tutorial and the redesign of several KDF only missions several months ago was much needed. These were well done and believeable, but in a large part, what the devs consider as content for the KDF is also the same content enjoyed by the Fed side as well.

Look at the number of ships, the number of "working" and "complete" uniforms, This game is so Federation-biased, it's sickening.

The developers have catered to the Fed side of this game to the point that they are seriously running out of plausible ideas for the future of the Federation. Dinosaurs with laser helmets, anyone? Reminds me of the time when they added zombies to SWG. Yes, I know the Voth were introduced in Voyager, but c'mon, really? We get the deal with diet Godzillas? And with Season 9, we get to be attacked by the Killer Blob? That is so 1960s...

The KDF side of Star Trek is rich in lore, yet, STO hasn't even scratched the surface, nor have they even made any real effort to breath new life into that side. Most of the recent KDF side "stuff" is simply the same things the Federation gets, but they simply slap a Klingon-sounding name to it and some Klingonesque imagery to go with it. Yes, what ships they have been able to get are rehashes of Federation ships (essentially), slap a cloak on it, and there ya go!

If the developers had any foresight, they would make something for the KDF by introducing something along the lines of unique content... interation with races on the other side of their Empire, opposite of Federation and Romulan space on the map. It doesn't have to be anything major in the beginning, but at least something that shows the playerbase that there is something worthwhile to do in the Klingon Empire.

As it appears to me, the KDF is effectively in maintenance mode... such a waste! And no, cutscenes with Klingons in them does not count!

Yes, I said maintenance mode.

I dare a developer to prove that is not the case.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We've never seen where they're from, but it does take Starfleet, the KDF, and the Republic Navy to fight them off at New Romulus, so I doubt that they are pushovers by anyone's measure.
    Technically, it only takes all 3 of them because they're there as part of an alliance. The Elachi themselves were never a major threat to anyone but the Romulans. This is quite evident in the "Elachi Survivor" doffpack, which consists of survivors of all races, yet there is nothing in the stories of anyone else indicating that the Federation and the Klingon Empire really notice the issue, suggesting that the number of people who have been abducted does not represent a statistically significant deviation from the rate at which people normally go missing in the Federation and Empire.

Starfleet and the KDF are thus only present because at that point in the story, the Romulans only have about 2 Scimitars instead of the approximately 9001 that are normally present, each of which would be singlehandedly capable of laying waste to the entire attacking Elachi fleet on Elite.

There's no kill like overkill, apparently. I'm thinking those guys were just there grinding Romulan rep when the Elachi attacked, and that's why they showed up.
    As it appears to me, the KDF is effectively in maintenance mode... such a waste! And no, cutscenes with Klingons in them does not count!

Yes, I said maintenance mode.

I dare a developer to prove that is not the case.
    I'm not a developer, but I dispute this notion completely. The KDF is NOT in maintenance mode, because this would require that maintenance be performed, of which none has presently been done. Maintenance Mode would represent a significant upgrade!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tremere12 wrote: »
    Seriously, what is it with these naked orion toons everywhere in Qonos? Is this is still a video game? Is the "mighty" klingon empire reduced to some cheap brothel? If it's even a klingon empire anymore.

I don't mind a few here and there for the diversity factor, and also considering the fact that kdf is supposed to represent the most "evil" side of the 3 factions, it nevertheless becomes a less believable experience if every silly teenager boy has to infest the whole game with these toons.

What's worse is that a lot of these players stare at and customize their pixelated green women all day without actually doing much of, let's say, stf's. Which adds up more for the already horrid waiting time on kdf exclusive stf's.

Make a fourth faction, for the Orions, outside of the klingon sphere, and the game actually becomes believable again. Otherwise I just won't take The Empire seriously anymore :)

There should be an option for Orion women to wear high heels and Tholian silk stockings. Now that's a brothel!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    goodscotch wrote: »
    There should be an option for Orion women to wear high heels and Tholian silk stockings. Now that's a brothel!

Just a smile and a come hither look, that makes a brothel.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    notapwefan wrote: »
    give this guy an unlimited vacation package in Rura Penthe

Quick fun fact question. Where was Rura Penthe first mentioned.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I came back after a little while to check how long this thread would be, and my... 17 pages, how hilarious.

Fact is, some of the guys suspected right. I've been trolling like a boss. Frankly I could care less about the whole thing, and just wanted to see how sad star trek geeks are. Thanks for the laughs. :D
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    tremere12 wrote: »
    I came back after a little while to check how long this thread would be, and my... 17 pages, how hilarious.

Fact is, some some of the guys suspected right. I've been trolling like like a boss. Frankly I could care less about the whole thing, and just wanted to see how sad star trek geeks are. Thanks for the laughs. :D

Trolling like a boss? Yeah, right.

With this post, you just entered fail troll territory.

Protip: One of the rules of a properly executed troll attempt is to never reveal that you are trolling. That is a cardinal sin among expert trolls everywhere.

You just outted yourself. Thus, you failed in the end for not properly seeing the troll through.

Whether it was because of troll's remorse or whatever, it's irrelevant.

Trolling truly is a lost art.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Trolling like a boss? Yeah, right.

With this post, you just entered fail troll territory.

Protip: One of the rules of a properly executed troll attempt is to never reveal that you are trolling. That is a cardinal sin among expert trolls everywhere.

You just outted yourself. Thus, you failed in the end for not properly seeing the troll through.

Whether it was because of troll's remorse or whatever, it's irrelevant.

Trolling truly is a lost art.

Cardinal Sin? So shoot me. A troll within a troll is an endless possibility. Nevertheless I still wanna keep posting in these forums, especially in regards with bug reports and all that, and we all know that sto is never short on bugs.

Mission accomplished for me: 17 pages. I'm satisfied for now.
  • askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And also got a warning for doing it.

Trolling isn't allowed on the forums. Thread closed.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

This discussion has been closed.