test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

State of the Game ... Where's D'Angelo ?

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Not a whole lot to say. . . we're all working hard on Ex2, which we can't talk about.

Romulan Anniversary this weekend.
    The summer event is coming.

What, specifically, would you like to know?

What exactly is it about it you can't talk about?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For anyone who would like to submit Q for A, we have begun a new initiative to give you a chance to directly ask about issues you are concerned with. While I can't answer every question, and I cannot force our Devs or our EP to be more talkative with the community, I will always try to answer what I can.

Check out the forum thread for our weekly Q & A here.

As far as Dev Blogs are concerned, we are definitely in a drought, but Trendy and I are working hard to get more put on the schedule for the coming weeks.

We do have some great info about the Summer Event and it will be coming soon!

~CaptainSmirk

Could you anounce this in the STO Starter that there is an Q&A or in the news Blog ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For anyone who would like to submit Q for A, we have begun a new initiative to give you a chance to directly ask about issues you are concerned with. While I can't answer every question, and I cannot force our Devs or our EP to be more talkative with the community, I will always try to answer what I can.

As far as Dev Blogs are concerned, we are definitely in a drought, but Trendy and I are working hard to get more put on the schedule for the coming weeks.

We do have some great info about the Summer Event and it will be coming soon!

~CaptainSmirk

I also heard you are moving on the PvP boot camp delays. Excellent, this will make many happy and give heart for them to continue with the program.
    Thanks.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    LoL

Something something darkside....

Something something complete...

~CaptainSmirk

This just in: The expansion is a Star Wars episode VII tie-in.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014

The crossover fans have been waiting for!
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited May 2014

9 questions, 3 answers, 6 "good idea, we'll think about it" non-answers. *YAWN* Nothing to see there people, move along. :rolleyes:
  • gooddaytodie39gooddaytodie39 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm not sure it's a D'Angelo thing. It's just no longer a Branflakes world. If you want info coming out about the game, you're SOL. If you want to see mindless posts about bacon, you're probably in heaven.

Quoted for Truth.
  • fourxgamerfourxgamer Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd like to dedicate this whiniest of songs to you...
    Bran, Dan, Geoff, Cap'n etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekzHIouo8Q4

we were too young, too dumb to realize.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Oh, oh...we'll get the Millentumprise Falcon? Event ship, C-Store, Lockbox, Lobi?
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Not a whole lot to say. . . we're all working hard on Ex2, which we can't talk about.

And as a player for 4+ years, I can say the game's environments and Dev to Player communications got a big boost the day they re-assigned you to STO from CO.

That said, I do wish someone higher up could say something more about the Expansion that was announced earlier in the year. Hell over at NeverWinter the Devs are al least dropping a little info on the next NW 'module' -- and that's a little less then two weeks after the previous one was released. Hell, the ONLY thing Gekko let slip about the next STO expansion is what WOULDN'T be in it.:eek::rolleyes:;)

Still, it's kind of said top see Mr. D'Angelo state how happy he was to be back helming STO - and then say not a whole lot else beyond what was mentioned in the PR blurb since then. Dan Stahl did A LOT of communication up to his burn out point (which appeared to be shortly after LoR was released); but I can cut him some slack as he did have a lot of interaction with the community over the previous years.

Mr. D'Angelo (even though he did state he'd talk more this time around); seems to have settled back into his old Pre-Season 5 STO EP routine of 'say little to nothing; and let maeketing do the talking'; and honestly, that disappointing.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Do you have cats?

Nope, I'm allergic. I like cats, and they LOVE me. I assume because they can sense my allergy.
    The entire STO team is transported to a mysterious, deserted island with no hope for escape. Who is most likely to still be alive by the end of the first season? :P

If I had to guess, I'd say Chris Dods. He was in the Navy, and is probably fairly self sufficient.
    Is it almost to a point where you can tease Ex2?

Most of us have guessed it involves the Delta Quadrant though, if not, it would be nice for a tease.

You guys have told us it doesn't include a new faction and that it does include about the same increase in content that LoR has, which means either new missions for the existing three or TONS of shared faction missions. (LoR added 40 episodes to the game.)

The lack of a faction also hints at something new mechanically. I guess the safe bet is space away teams since ship interiors seem so far off Geko's radar.

I imagine you're under NDA and can't tease it but I think we almost have to be getting close enough to an announcement (I expect it during the summer event, when you have lots of people around) that a pre-announcement teaser almost seems due.

I can't really expect you to do that. But something from Geko, D'Angelo or the marketing team at PWE feels due as a pre-announcement tease. It's not that we're owed one but it feels a bit odd that we haven't had anything. No screenshot of a WIP map or UI or Talaxian Captain. No color coded countdown timer. It just feels a bit too quiet.

I can't spoil anything for Ex2. When that happens is all up to marketing/PR. Sorry.
    Did your cat save your son?

I don't have a cat, or a son I know of. So. . . yes?
    bitemepwe wrote: »
    Will PvP boot camp and other fan creations continue to get support from the Devs and crew? That is the main concern I have heard lately.

I'm curious in what respect we have 'supported' them before, and how that has ceased? There is no ill-will or specific action against them to my knowledge. They are fan run things, what am I missing here? How are we not 'supporting' them?
    is there going to be a season 9.2? you mentioned expantion 2- is that the next big update/release?

Expansion 2 is the next major expansion (ala LoR) to STO.
    Whatchoogonnagimme? ::ducks:: :P

:::hands bob a shiny nickel:::
    anazonda wrote: »
    What exactly is it about it you can't talk about?

It.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited May 2014
    I'm curious in what respect we have 'supported' them before, and how that has ceased? There is no ill-will or specific action against them to my knowledge. They are fan run things, what am I missing here? How are we not 'supporting' them?

I think a lot of the support he's talking about was help in publicizing these player run events or efforts, which was all or mostly Branflakes, and wasn't really something the "dev team" has done. Like for our featured foundry series Branflakes promoted it on the site and spotlighted the missions as they came out. I think he helped out some on PvP Bootcamp as well as others.

So whether that will continue is really more a question for Smirk and Trendy.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited May 2014

A general improvement to graphics performance would be nice. The release of season 9 seemed to have artificially increased the graphics requirements for the game. In general, lower FPS across the board. My desktop GPU (Radeon HD 7870) is pretty powerful, however, there are times when my FPS simply plummets after season 9 was released.

A good example is "Another Man's Hell" which is one of the Spotlight Foundry mission. There is a part of the mission where you warp to a map to board a disabled Klingon ship. During season 8.5 it ran pretty smooth. Now it simple chugs along like a slideshow even with a powerful desktop GPU. During season 8.5 I could play it on my laptop using just the integrated Intel HD 4200 graphics core. Now it is a slideshow on my laptop even if I switch to the Radeon HD 8850m mobile GPU.

Perhaps, the dev team should take some time to fix such a glaring issue. As a F2P game, STO needs to be able to run pretty well on a low spec PC or laptop since you need a large player base as a potential source of revenue through micro-transactions. The graphics issue is a barrier for causal players with only integrated graphics.

There are other minor issues like for my Romulan toon. On the load screen, my T3 ship appears as a pair of female legs. I suppose it would be better if it were bare legs rather than clothed legs, but that is something I can live with as opposed to the artificially high graphics requirements.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014

It.

I have preview of things to come.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited May 2014
    D'Angelo = E'genn = Undine.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Its just D'anglo's way I think, he wasn't a very frequent forum poster during his first tenure either as I recall.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I can't spoil anything for Ex2. When that happens is all up to marketing/PR. Sorry.

Yes, you can! Tell us, is it bigger than a bread box?

Does it involve Tribbles?
    Expansion 2 is the next major expansion (ala LoR) to STO.

It's the Epohhs isn't it? They finally take over?
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It's the Epohhs isn't it? They finally take over?

They're Iconians. They took on Epohh form to spy on the races of the Alpha Quadrant, just like those pan dimensional beings disguised themselves as white mice to guide humanity and the Earth as it worked towards the answer to the Ultimate Question. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    diotw wrote: »
    They're Iconians. They took on Epohh form to spy on the races of the Alpha Quadrant, just like those pan dimensional beings disguised themselves as white mice to guide humanity and the Earth as it worked towards the answer to the Ultimate Question. :P

You are right of course, the Alien we saw at the end of "Surface Tension" is an Iconian in a battlesuit. That's how they hide their cuteness when they start killing. :D
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    diotw wrote: »

Actually, Earth was designed and built to calculate The Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything.
    Headlong into mystery
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I imagine that the next expansion will be released about the same time as WOW's and SWTOR's, given that they have done something similar in the past.
  • jengozjengoz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    State of the game? Broken!

Between graphic problems with season 9 and now launching a romulan reputation weekend with half the missions not playable, I would say the state of the game is very broken.

And where is D'Angelo ? Too embarrassed to talk with the players. I would be. Especially since he is Cryptic's Chief Technology Officer. It seems the technical problems in STO have gotten worse and worse since he took the helm. How about his signature loadout system? still bugged and never fixed.

Stephen, this is the quality level you think is acceptable? Embarrassing !

AT this point, I think they should make Tumerboy the EP. He has at least the balls to face the customers and seems to have a higher threshold of what is acceptable work.
    "Star Trek Online is powered by the most abundant resource in the galaxy . . . Gullibility"
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Too Embarassed? If you had listened, you would know he isn't a talkative type of dev member. If anything it should be Captain Geko that relays the information since he prefers to talk to the players. Second off, if you don't like the game because it's "Broken" Stop playing. Easy fix.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I hate to be "that guy", but I honestly believe that part of the reason for the apparent "silence" from the guys upstairs, is due to shifting more focus over to Neverwinter. They recently released their 3rd module, which I suppose could conceivably be considered similar to STO "Seasons", with a 4th Module already announced for August 14 2014. Which means an update within 3 months.

How long do we usually wait between Seasons? 6-9 months, and the first expansion pack (Legacy of Romulus) was released exactly 1 year ago.

So I guess my question is: Where's STO's "rapid release schedule" ? More and more MMOs (especially F2P) are shifting to rapid releases within 30-60 days. I'd expect a large content update every 6-9 months on a paid MMO like "that elephant in the room", but F2P games need to stay relevant, and continuously churn out new content. Why would we want to pay for things, if there's nothing new for 6+ months?
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    Could you anounce this in the STO Starter that there is an Q&A or in the news Blog ?

But, but that's just what they're expecting......

....and just how useful is a bunch of pretty non commital answers on subjects the devs select?

What I'd love to see is Cryptic give interviews to blogs that wont give them soft ball questions.

How about they try to convince the skeptical for once, instead of looking at the fanbois and saying 'amirite'.
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    I hate to be "that guy", but I honestly believe that part of the reason for the apparent "silence" from the guys upstairs, is due to shifting more focus over to Neverwinter. They recently released their 3rd module, which I suppose could conceivably be considered similar to STO "Seasons", with a 4th Module already announced for August 14 2014. Which means an update within 3 months.

How long do we usually wait between Seasons? 6-9 months, and the first expansion pack (Legacy of Romulus) was released exactly 1 year ago.

So I guess my question is: Where's STO's "rapid release schedule" ? More and more MMOs (especially F2P) are shifting to rapid releases within 30-60 days. I'd expect a large content update every 6-9 months on a paid MMO like "that elephant in the room", but F2P games need to stay relevant, and continuously churn out new content. Why would we want to pay for things, if there's nothing new for 6+ months?

I think you're on to something here; I imagine that as NW surpasses STO as PWE's prime money machine, STO will end up in maintenance mode like CO.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think you're on to something here; I imagine that as NW surpasses STO as PWE's prime money machine, STO will end up in maintenance mode like CO.

Oh, my god... you know why it's faster churning out stuff for Neverwinter than it is with STO? Because Neverwinter's fraggin' Dungeons and Dragons. Everything's already there! All you gotta do is whip up a story and BAM!
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh, my god... you know why it's faster churning out stuff for Neverwinter than it is with STO? Because Neverwinter's fraggin' Dungeons and Dragons. Everything's already there! All you gotta do is whip up a story and BAM!

Your logic is astounding.

And I suppose 48 years of Star Trek history, and 5 television shows and 12 movies doesn't make it as simple as "whipping up a story and BAM!" ?
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    Your logic is astounding.

And I suppose 48 years of Star Trek history, and 5 television shows and 12 movies doesn't make it as simple as "whipping up a story and BAM!" ?

Well, to be fair, D'n'D originated specifically to whip up stories with.

Where, I think, NW has it easier than STO is the base system already existed.

STO's IP was never a game system*, more a narrative setting.

*Well, i say that, but i did use to own a table top Star Trek role playing game.......