test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

2,826 DPS? I feel sad

rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Federation Discussion
Just finished Infected Space STF. Someone posted our DPS from their parser. I'm dead last with 1.670.738(2.826 DPS). The one in the lead had 7,409DPS.

I'm using fleet plasma beams with a mkXI rare and mkXI very rare plasma infuser consoles.

I'm open to suggestions for increasing DPS
They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
candle_burning.gif
Plasma Nugget
Rayzee
excellentawesome#4589
torgaddon101
raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
Post edited by rickdanko on

Comments

• rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    FWIW I'm an engineer commanding a fleet galaxy so I know I'm not supposed to be DPS king, but I'd prefer not to be the Joker either.
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • t0xsick2t0xsick2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    a little bit of info about your build/skills would go a long way with us helping you in any effective way :)
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    7.4 dps? that's what I get without using my captain abilities... or even trying...

you need to keep power to your weapons at 125. I use aux2batteries and emerg power to weapons for engineer abilities. I also try to keep weapon batteries on hand.

Also, Attack Pattern Beta reduces their defences, increasing your damage. There's tac team and Fire at will to boost your output.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited May 2014
    Rick -

Post your build here: stoacademy.com. Then reply to us in this thread with a link.

We can start by helping your build, suggesting new tactics, duty officers and skill arrangements.

We'll get you up to 7K easily... perhaps much more ;)

Admiral Thrax
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    there's also making sure your critical are high
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Let us help you bro
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Easiest way to increase damage on a Engineering heavy vessel? Aux2Batt + FAW with 3 Technician DOffs.

That said, it's pretty much a crutch that people use to achieve large amounts of damage in a ship that wasn't supposed to be a massive wtfpwnlolzor DPS ship in the first place.

You're an Engineer, in a Galaxy. Embrace the non-DPS aspect.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That number doesn't look possible... Maybe you're out of range and his parser isn't reading it. You should parse yourself, see what you get.
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Easiest way to increase damage on a Engineering heavy vessel? Aux2Batt + FAW with 3 Technician DOffs.

That said, it's pretty much a crutch that people use to achieve large amounts of damage in a ship that wasn't supposed to be a massive wtfpwnlolzor DPS ship in the first place.

You're an Engineer, in a Galaxy. Embrace the non-DPS aspect.

Depends on a variant Galaxy he is in. Him putting his build at stoacademy will help him and clarify things.

noblet wrote: »
    That number doesn't look possible... Maybe you're out of range and his parser isn't reading it. You should parse yourself, see what you get.

1-2K dps is common for casual players regardless of what ship you are at. If you go to PUGs all the time and group with people you do not know all the time, each hour for one month, you will see there are still more players who parse 5k below than those who parse 5k and up.

Not every player in STO is after dps. Some are RPers, some build their ship that way for the fun of it.
  • intrinsicalintrinsical Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    From the way you're describing it, it looks like you're either shooting at only one target at a time, only using half your weapons (are you broadsiding?), very slow at selecting targets, not using attack patterns, not using beam fire at will or beam overload, or some combination of the above.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    From the way you're describing it, it looks like you're either shooting at only one target at a time, only using half your weapons (are you broadsiding?), very slow at selecting targets, not using attack patterns, not using beam fire at will or beam overload, or some combination of the above.

I don't think that's it. The hangar alone would do more dmg. If he farts at something, it should go above that.:D

He's probably out of range of the guy's parse. Trust your own parse, not someone else's.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rickdanko wrote: »
    FWIW I'm an engineer commanding a fleet galaxy so I know I'm not supposed to be DPS king, but I'd prefer not to be the Joker either.

God bless you hardcore, pure Galaxy jocks :cool:

As the others will point out, there's lots of little tricks to get your ship to do more damage despite being so blatantly Tank oriented. Your Lt TAC station is awful, and the TAC slots aren't ideal, don't get me wrong. But think of the vast ENG BOFF stations as a different means on increasing your damage output as well as your support and survivability skills.

Think of Engineering as that... not only for survival, but enhancing your TAC & SCI aspects of your ship.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited May 2014
    Did you get the Optional?

The rest is pointless to discuss, IMO. DPS is a joke since it favors FAW spam on shields, and not hull killing shots.
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I had assumed that he meant the Galaxy-R, not the Galaxy-X.

Either way.

EMBRACE THE NON-DPS SIDE!!!

Seriously. Embrace it.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited May 2014
    Just finished Infected Space STF. Someone posted our DPS from their parser. I'm dead last with 1.670.738(2.826 DPS). The one in the lead had 7,409DPS.

I'm using fleet plasma beams with a mkXI rare and mkXI very rare plasma infuser consoles.

I'm open to suggestions for increasing DPS

APB
    BFaW
    TT
    EPTW/3
    Aux to Batt 3 purple Technician's there free at B'tran nebula Gamma Orionus doff recruitment missions and 1 free one at level 4 engineering

plasmonic leach(Suks to be Fed here ) or Maco shield

make sure you have space doffs slotted and traits slotted

make sure your power setting say 125 power to weapons

make sure your Tac consoles match to energy weapons...No torp tac consoles....nothing in a tac console slot other than a tac energy console that matchs your weapons

All energy weapons of the same type

Elite fleet warp core with +15 to weapons power and AMP or thoran infused
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    He's probably out of range of the guy's parse. Trust your own parse, not someone else's.

Nope, number seems right. Most PUG at ISE (you need to go to the end of map to get out parse range ~75km) deal 1,2-5k DPS. If he is doing KASE or CSE and is most the time on the other site of map than parser he can add ~1k to his DPS. Question is how the parser had his program set (DPS channel setting or default for CombatLogReader) as there can be some reading with default setting.

First I would get rid of those Fleet weapons, [DMG] is the worst mod you can get for weapon. Change it for something with [CrtD] or [CrtH] (Romulan plasma would be probably the best if you want to stay with plasma)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Think of it as a challenge to out DPS guys with the Galaxy. It's fun and hilarious when people see the parse and a 2 TAC Console / Lt TAC ship outdps's more TAC oriented ships :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • b4k4nib4k4ni Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Something most ppl tend to forget ...

It also depends on how you play. If you fly around more, try to get some drones, help other ppl you have a lower dps then others. It also depends if you do single target dmg or AOE. If you do starbase 24 in mids of enemies with faw/a2b and all nice dps traits + rom rep consoles for plasma proc etc. you get a ****load of dps.

You don't need to rock the dps charts. Keep it in an ok range and try to balance between survivability and dps. Makes the most fun :)
  • ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dkratasco wrote: »
    Nope, number seems right. Most PUG at ISE (you need to go to the end of map to get out parse range ~75km) deal 1,2-5k DPS. If he is doing KASE or CSE and is most the time on the other site of map than parser he can add ~1k to his DPS. Question is how the parser had his program set (DPS channel setting or default for CombatLogReader) as there can be some reading with default setting.

First I would get rid of those Fleet weapons, [DMG] is the worst mod you can get for weapon. Change it for something with [CrtD] or [CrtH] (Romulan plasma would be probably the best if you want to stay with plasma)

That log reader is no good.
    It shows 20% more dps than it should.

I agree about the statement, 1-5k dps is usually pug group, while better of them do 7-8k.
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OK. Here's my build. Constructive criticism welcomed.

This Wheel's On Fire!
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OK. Here's my build. Constructive criticism welcomed.

This Wheel's On Fire!

RickDanko:

Here's my initial thoughts on your build.

First, I'm making some assumptions here:

1. Since you are flying a fleet Gal-R, I'm assuming your fleet is at Tier IV.
    2. I'm assuming your fleet has made at least some progress on its holdings.
    3. I'm assuming you have access to training resources so no skills are "off limits" to you.

Bridge Office Stations

Before I get into my individual recommendations, you should make sure that all your seated boffs are giving you passive bonuses. That generally means a Blue (not Purple) Male (not Female) Romulan Tactical Officer from the Embassy for Superior Romulan Operative, a Naussicaan (if you are at the right level of Diplomacy) for Pirate, and Humans in the other slots. I find that at endgame, Efficient boffs don't make a meaningful difference in performance, so save your EC (Saurians) or Zen (Lib. Borgs).

Tactical: As a Gal-R driver, you have very limited tactical resources open to you. I'd recommend you think about totally changing your layout. In particular, I would recommend you go with Tactical Team I and Beam Fire at Will II. This will strengthen your tank by giving you auto-redistribution for your shields and will take maximum advantage of your weapons fit. BFAW II adds a 5th cycle to your beam attacks, lets you attack two (admittedly random) targets per cycle, and gives a flaw 6% damage boost to your beams. In the long run, this is going to be much more potent damage-wise than BOL I or BTW II.

Engineering: You're killing yourself with shared cooldowns here. First, if you have Marion Francis Dulmar, he should be on your active list and you should have at least one (ideally two) instances of Directed Energy Modulation on your list.

Second, I would recommend dumping your two instances of APSIF and adding a second A2B. You don't want anything interfering with your ability to continuously cycle A2B, shortening all of your cooldowns by way of your technicians.

Eject Warp Plasma III is a cool ability. Personally, I think Reverse Shield Polarity III is a better choice, but since you have RSP II already I'd say that part is fine as is. If you want a strong hull heal, replace your APSIF II with Engineering Team III. Otherwise, replace it with EPTS III or (if you have Marion) DEM II.

Consider dropping one ET I (both if you use ET III as I described above) and adding more emergency power abilities. With the right duty officers, you can get a strong global power boost (plus I assume you have the global power boost trait on your engineer) and the intrinsic abilities are good.

Science: Polarize Hull is the right choice here, but instead of science team I'd use Hazard Emitters. It's continuous-cleanse ability is valuable, even if your aux is low from A2B. That's doubly true if you have to deal with undine bubbles and the way they can "slime" you.

I'd also switch the positions, so you have PH I and HE II.

So to summarize, here is my recommendation:

Tactical Lieutenant: TT I, BFAW II
    Engineer Commander: EPTW I, A2B I, ET III or EPTS III or DEM II, EWP III
    Engineer Lt. Cdr: EPTE I, A2B I, RSP II
    Engineer Ens.: EPTS I or ET I (based on choices for commander)
    Science Lieutenant: PH I, HE II

Equipment
    You're heading in the right direction here. I'd drop the dual beam bank for another beam array, and also dump the turret for a beam array. You want to get the maximum bang for your BFAW buck.

Trico is a fun toy to play with. However, trico can also be a liablity. It's slow, easily shot down, and can hurt you if it detonates at close range. You may want to consider a Romulan Hyper-Plasma Launcher instead. Here's why:

1. It fires multiple shots, so enemy defensive fire is less likely to neutralize all your damage.
    2. It has a "built-in" special attack, since it first three shots without needing a BOFF ability.
    3. It synergizes with the Romulan Experimental Plasma Beam and the Zero-Point Energy Converter to buff your plasma damage and to generally be awesome.

And on that point... you want the experimental romulan plasma beam array and the zero point energy converter. These give you power, crit chance, and importantly a zero-power energy weapons. Together, they also give you a beam overload-like attack without having to commit a boff slot.

I love mines, so I won't tell you to get rid of your mines, but you should bear in mind that if you equip a romulan experimental plasma array, you could load on a 7th beam array without actually hitting the 'energy weapons point of diminishing returns' that normally occurs above 60 energy load.

You should upgrade your armor, your emitter array, and your tactical consoles to fleet versions. Even if you only go with mk X or mk XI, it'll be a huge improvement over your current equipment. Consider also replacing your field generator with a purple Dyson Rep version and then in turn replacing your blue Dyson console with the Embassy equivalent.

I see you use saucer separation. You may want to consider picking up the C-Store Tier IV Galaxy. The antimatter spread console now gives a set bonus with saucer sep that increases the value of the saucer pet considerably.

Skills

I see a lot of red here. I also see no points in engine power or aux power. I see no points in impulse thrusters or subsystem repair or in batteries. If you find yourself in the mood to do a respec, consider trimming back some of those red bars to get your 0-point skills at least to the top of the green zone. You get many more points bar-for-bar in the green that in the red.

Anyway, that's my feedback. Hope it helps!
  • ashtakuashtaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Coincidentally, I was just talking about A2B builds earlier today with one of my fleeties and I plugged my GalX into StoAcademy for him to look at. If you are interested, here's what I run (note that this is an alt who hasn't done most of the reps, which is why - for example - he isn't using an 8472 photon to go with his multi-energy conduit).

TankZilla
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Mother of god....
    You "do" need help.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=uogardeyourswlf_0
    3 technicians, rsp doff, marion, warp core cleanser

Try to strive for this build man...you can start pushing 10k on the way there. maybe top off at 20k with practice...good luck
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    When I see low DPS numbers, the first thing I think is power management. What is your weapons power when you fire all your beams? If it is below 100, then there is your first hurdle to tackle. Damage scales heavily with weapon power, and anything in 2 figures means you're firing duds.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    That log reader is no good.
    It shows 20% more dps than it should.

I agree about the statement, 1-5k dps is usually pug group, while better of them do 7-8k.

It's use by most of DPS channels, if it's not good than what other log reader is good in your opinion?
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ashtaku wrote: »
    Tactical Lieutenant: TT I, BFAW II
    Engineer Commander: EPTW I, A2B I, ET III or EPTS III or DEM II, EWP III
    Engineer Lt. Cdr: EPTE I, A2B I, RSP II
    Engineer Ens.: EPTS I or ET I (based on choices for commander)
    Science Lieutenant: PH I, HE II
    My analysis of this: Firstly, having 3 EPTxen is a fail, since two of them will lock the entire EPT system down and not permit the use of any others. For a Gal-R, this pretty much limits you to EPTS1, EPTW1, and ET1, since attempting to use higher level EPTXen will leave you with a dead Ensign slot.

Therefore:
    Lt Tac: FAW1, Beta 1
    Cdr Eng: EPTS1, A2B, RSP2, DEM3
    LtC Eng: EPTW1, A2B, EWP1 (can swap position with DEM if you prefer) or Extend Shields
    Ens Eng: ET1
    Lt Sci: Sci Team 1, HE2.

You will note that I have omitted Tactical Team: Your ship lacks the minimum required number of Tac powers, and something has to give. Given that this will always be a PvE boat, getting it to deal damage is more important...why would you need Tac Team if you can't ever pull aggro anyway?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • intrinsicalintrinsical Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Looking at your build, it seems I was right on several fronts.
    only using half your weapons

The galaxy isn't fast or maneuverable. Which means the dual beam bank, mine launcher and possibly that torpedo will have limited impact. To get higher dps, all 8 of your weapons should be constantly firing. Or in the least 6-7 weapons should be firing. I would suggest dropping the dual beam bank, mine layer and turret in favor of beam arrays.

You can get all the beam arrays to fire constantly if you can position the ship so enemies are on the left or right side of the ship.
    not using attack patterns
    shooting at only one target at a time
    not using beam fire at will

You can't really use attack patterns on the Galaxy as you only have two tactical boff abilities to choose from. I concur with one of the above posters. You should be using Tactical Team I and Beam Fire At Will.
  • paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You will note that I have omitted Tactical Team: Your ship lacks the minimum required number of Tac powers, and something has to give. Given that this will always be a PvE boat, getting it to deal damage is more important...why would you need Tac Team if you can't ever pull aggro anyway?

I got to note that this is season 9. gone are the days when only dps can get aggro. With the right build and playstyle, a 10kdps threat build will always take aggro from a pure dps 30k dps ship and build.

tac team will depend on what mission he is playing. VS borg it is recommended that one plays with tac team.

Galaxy R is a decent pvp boat. It is actually one of the hardest ships to kill in pvp on the right build, player and/or grouping. Mistakes that failed Galaxy R build/players is that they try to play and build it like an assault cruiser, an escort or a sci ship.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You can't really use attack patterns on the Galaxy as you only have two tactical boff abilities to choose from. I concur with one of the above posters. You should be using Tactical Team I and Beam Fire At Will.
    That's the rub, isn't it? You need 3, and must pick 2...given that you're playing DPS Online, the ability which contributes the least DPS here gets sacrificed when you're forced to choose. Thus, Beta, and FAW. While Tactical Team is often seen as essential, and in PvP, it certainly is, in this case, you're down to "slap on a big Covalent Shield and tough it out". Without an attack pattern, your damage falls by half, you're even more useless to the team, and the ship will just plain suck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]