test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are you reading right now?

hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Ten Forward
for me it's...... TNG: Cold Equation: Persistence of Memory

it's not sto canon but the first-person portion in the middle was really well done
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My response to your post.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My response to sander233's post.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Black Company by Glen Cook. Dark fantasy epic told from the perspective of army grunts.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited May 2014
    <<<Mystery novel buff.

I'm reading Search The Dark by Charles Todd, 3rd book in the Ian Rutledge series. Good stuff.

"Charles Todd" is actually the pen name of a mother/son duo. The Ian Rutledge series reflects their interest in the human psyche when damaged. Even their protagonist suffers from a form of PTSD, and does his best to hide the fact that it has given his subconscious a troublesome voice, that of a soldier who died under his command.
  • kuntelkuntel Member Posts: 16,484 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Mage's Blood, pretty good. Dark fantasy, similar to Game of Thrones, but less sex.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A Feast for Crows.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The bottom of this empty milk carton, still can't see where it shows you how to stop the milk from coming out while reading these instructions.

Did you shake? Well before opening?
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am rereading the Sword of Truth series currently.

This will be my second time through it.

Before that I finished up some neat Star Trek Mirror Universe compilation books, three or four stories per.

I definitely dug them, I don't have them near me now so can't give the titles.

And I am always reading Asimov and Piers Anthony. Always. I usually have a P. Anthony in my back pocket, in case of a long road trip for my work.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Brandon Sanderson fantasy epics.

They set my brain on fire with ideas.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The ingredients, and Nutritional value of the "Breakfast Bar" I got out of the vending machine at work.
    It's pretty much a candy bar, with some saw dust tossed in for "fiber".MMMMMMM,Cr@p.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien, a really good read and a lot better than the films
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Clockwork Angels by Neil Peart at home. Various Literary Challenge posts along with Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh on breaks at work.

Resurrection, Inc. By Kevin Anderson is next. I'd like to reread Federation by Judith Reeves-Stevens but I feel I should spend my time on something new. Meh.

:)
    • korfi2go#5083 korfi2go Member Posts: 133 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Currently, I'm reading the STO forums.;)
      wivvEzf.png
      Always welcoming new Members. Check us out here!
    • grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Currently, I'm reading the STO forums.;)

I just finished reading Farenheit 451 and am now reading Star Trek TGN: Grounded. I am also reading the forum.
      say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
    • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Re-reading (for the umpteenth time) Diane Carey's "Final Frontier". I SO would love to see this book made in to a movie! But only if it was done right. It's the story of the very first mission of the USS Enterprise (Constitution class). Before she even had a name or registry. Under the command of Robert April with a shanghaied George Kirk (Jim's father) as the First Officer on a mission of mercy. I truly believe it could resurrect the Trek movie franchise if it was given the proper treatment. :D
      *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
      edited May 2014
      lomax6996 wrote: »
      Re-reading (for the umpteenth time) Diane Carey's "Final Frontier". I SO would love to see this book made in to a movie! But only if it was done right. It's the story of the very first mission of the USS Enterprise (Constitution class). Before she even had a name or registry. Under the command of Robert April with a shanghaied George Kirk (Jim's father) as the First Officer on a mission of mercy. I truly believe it could resurrect the Trek movie franchise if it was given the proper treatment. :D

Agreed, whole heartedly. Though how the villain meets his fate might make moviegoers want to hurl their snack bar food. For not being a horror story, that was pretty gruesome. Seeing Robert April in something other than TAS would be great. His very different style of command is a nice contrast to the Kirks.

Oh, and they'll have to choose a new name to distance themselves from the worst TOS film.
    • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      The Wishsong of Shannara

Joined January 2009
      Finger wrote:
      Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
      edited May 2014
      various fanfics, especially this one Godzilla/Pacific Rim crossover I found.

Might dust off my Battletech books, especially the Twilight of the Clans novels I got. Wish they were easier to find though. Don't have the full set yet.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      A Dance with Dragons (ASOIAF series)
    • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      Barry Hughart's The Story of the Stone, the sequel to Bridge of Birds. (If you don't know them: lyrical and comical fantasies set in a thoroughly unrealistic version of ancient China. Highly recommended, at least by me.)
      8b6YIel.png?1
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      edited May 2014
      I'll be getting part one of the Destiny trilogy later on this week
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        started STO Needs of the Many........ checking out how they revived Data
      • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        The last thing I read was "A Dance With Dragons" of the Song of Ice & Fire line of books.
        XzRTofz.gif
      • generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
        edited May 2014
        I AM READING

My response

to warmaker001b

to hawku001x

to theraven2378

to shevet

to captainrevo1

to rattler2

to mightybobcnc

to steamwright

to lomax6996

to grandnaguszek1

to murphysgesetz

to cmdrscarlet

to theraven2378

to cptjhunter

to worffan101

to sailhung423

to sander233

to kojirhellfire

to crashdragon

to steamwright

to starswordc

to iconians

to sander233

to hawku001x (OP)
      • mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
        edited May 2014
        Currently reading William Shakespeare's Star Wars, yes someone turned the films into a play by the bard himself and it works quite well.

After that it will be Embedded by Dan Abnett, I came across him when reading the WH40K books and really like his style of writing.

After that I'm not sure what I'll be reading but I have a stack of Tom Clancy's to get through.
        hZbIdbh.jpg
        THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
        Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
      • philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
        edited May 2014
        Just finished rereading (for the first time in many months): "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein. Need to dig out "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "I Will Fear No Evil" next. Or, if I get lazy, I'll just grab "Time Enough for Love" and reread that, since I don't have to hunt for it.