test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Do we need to get Rep gear all the time?

uss917019uss917019 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
The question that i ask in the title is that do i need to get all the time gears from the rep each time its updates just so i can survive OR can i just keep one good set and keep my cash for something else better???

Because i seem to see that almost every Rep update i have no choice but to buy stuff from it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by uss917019 on

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, you really don't. This game is so easy you can survive with the most basic equipment. I just buy rep gear to expand my equipment options. I also don't have anything else to do... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, especially not with the Solane set out there. Its almost as good as anything, its generally good for everything, and its free. Rep sets are just for the little extras at this point.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Rep sets usually have an enemy that they are better against like STF sets having instant remodulation, the undine space set having the ability to deal with bubble spam and fly better in fluidic space, and countering the abilities of the specified enemy like the new ground set has psionic resistance, give better procs against the Undine, and CC resistance to deal with the Undine.

Of course, all content is completable by using common gear and the only real benefit that rep gear gives is it becomes easier to deal with certain enemies.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    uss917019 wrote: »
    The question that i ask in the title is that do i need to get all the time gears from the rep each time its updates just so i can survive OR can i just keep one good set and keep my cash for something else better???

Because i seem to see that almost every Rep update i have no choice but to buy stuff from it.

Probably not, I have tons of Rep stuff I never use. I have one toon where I get all the rep gear on it and try it out and then if it's something I don't like skip it on any other. But all in all right now I find the only rep gear I use on a normal basis is The MkXII Borg Assimilated Set, the Borg Adapted Set, the Adapted MACO/KHG space set, the Dyson Ground, the Adapted MACO / KHG set, and the Romulan Singularity Harness set.

I do have my eyes set on Undine weapon set as it has the 360deg disruptor which may do good with my KDF tacs disruptor build, but I have not started leveling that toon on the rep yet as I'm leveling Undine still on my one toon I do everyhing on first and will just wait to start once I get the sponsorship tokens.
  • Options
    uss917019uss917019 Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Rep sets usually have an enemy that they are better against like STF sets having instant remodulation, the undine space set having the ability to deal with bubble spam and fly better in fluidic space, and countering the abilities of the specified enemy like the new ground set has psionic resistance, give better procs against the Undine, and CC resistance to deal with the Undine.

Of course, all content is completable by using common gear and the only real benefit that rep gear gives is it becomes easier to deal with certain enemies.

If your saying that Rep just makes the STF more easier, so you can buy the stuff but aren't you going to not do any more of that specific thing after Tier 5 and your going to move on to another that means all of that is wasted and you would need to buy new stuff.

That is why i am asking if there is going to be a set that will last for a long time???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If your saying that Rep just makes the STF more easier, so you can buy the stuff but aren't you going to not do any more of that specific thing after Tier 5 and your going to move on to another that means all of that is wasted and you would need to buy new stuff.

That is why i am asking if there is going to be a set that will last for a long time???

Just get something you like or go for situational gear like using an STF space set for fighting the Borg and the Undine space set for fighting Undine. A possible choice is go for the Solanae Space set or Jem'Hadar space set or purchase Fleet equipment. Fleet equipment has the best Engineering and Tactical consoles available. If all endgame content can be completed using commons, then there is no real necessity to go for rep gear except for style and aesthetics. I go for rep gear due to aesthetics. Power has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    No, you really don't. This game is so easy you can survive with the most basic equipment. I just buy rep gear to expand my equipment options. I also don't have anything else to do... :rolleyes:

thats a bit generic thinking and somewhat absurd. if it came right to it, people are different and what they use, some people use science based space kit on a pure science ship. other run a tactical space kit on a cruiser. its what helps you survive the most or what suits your style of play and helps you in getting some consistency with it.

there are now enough space kits, rep or otherwise open to you that except the fleet kit unless you join a fleet and chip in your bit enough to make a promotion, get the credits, provisions secured for use.. so on.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Given that you can only use one shield, one deflector, one engine, etc., it's completely pointless to buy ANY rep gear unless you currently have a vacancy in that spot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well...not really.

I think it is a good investment to get 1 of everything so you are set. So a space set that most compliments your play style with set bonuses you will find most useful, and the same for a space weapon/gadget set and a ground set. I guess you could throw a kit in there as well.

It's not strictly required, but once you have them you can see the improvement on performance. And the minimum endgame gear tends to be so cheap on the exchange you can always switch back if you fancy a challenge.
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I levelled 3 toons through the omega rep with the free jem hadar set from the mission rewards and 3 others with cheap gear from the exchange. Take your time, compare the different sets, and get what pieces that generally fit your style and you will be fine. Heck sometimes I kept the exchange gear for a good while after finishing the rep. Once you find a setup that works for you there is no need to change it.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    I think it is a good investment to get 1 of everything so you are set.
    Good investment implies that one derives a return on said investment. This is very much untrue of purchasing rep gear, which provides no return whatsoever on your investment. You will never be able to recoup the value of minerals wasted on unused rep gear. You have simply wasted your money on equipment you cannot use because you are only allowed to equip a single item of a given type. The only reason to buy anything is if you intend to use it: Otherwise, the decision to do so can be postponed indefinitely without cost. Buying it for no reason other than because you can simply results in piles of unused bound gear clogging your storage spaces. It serves no useful purpose, as you could always buy it later if you decided to actually use it.

Alternatively, you could just save your money and not buy things, as anything worth buying will be nerfed until it isn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]