test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can we flesh out the Tholians more?

jmaster29jmaster29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Please? And I mean, not just as the generic bad guy 2.0, but as something interesting. as in, diplomacy, possibly some battles and not just making them "xenophobic nuts". Pwetty pweese?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by jmaster29 on

Comments

• Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've been wanting a Tholian episode since ages. Doesn't have to be special, but right now, all story that exists is: they are on Nukara, we are on Nukara, now fight.

And Temporal Ambassador doesn't count since it is another timeline.
  • Options
    flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm in full support of this.

Someone speculated in another post the other day (or it might have been a couple of weeks ago) that the Tholians could have been part of the force that defeated the Iconians back when. Would be awesome if Cryptic turned the Tholians into your more antihero role; having them protect the quadrant (and galaxy as a whole) but causing a bit of mayhem in the process.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I agree. The Tholians aren't really your generic "bad guy cannon fodder". They are xenophobic, but that does usually not mean that they go out of their way to fight anyone. They tend to keep to themselves but we know from canon they have Ambassadors, they chose to talk to the Enterprise first before engaging in combat although Kirk & Crew violated their territory AND they were willing to negotiate/make a deal even though they didn't need to. Plus they are a non-humanoid race, which is a bonus :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Tholian rep and the tholian "story" needs to be better fleshed out
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Tholians are supposed to have a plan. Why they are on New Romulus searching for Iconians/Dewans/Romulan artifacts. Related to Sharien's sword.
    Also, for Nukara.
    We just know it's related to Iconians. We don't even know if they are with them, or against them.

Unfortunately, Cryptic moved on another villain of the month before ending the Tholian plot. To be honest, I would have been suprised if we had the end of that part of the story, considering Cryptic never really end their stories. Remember, we are still waiting to know what happened to Sela, what happen to the Undine we freed in the infamous Divide et Empera, we are still waiting for the Romulan Academy to replace the temporary reliance on allied academy, and we are still waiting to walk on New Romulus (the city). Remember how they said they would advance the construction of the city bit by bit, following the plot and all that, and how we would be able to see it growing and all that.

As for having the missing part, I guess it will come only if they find a way to make money from it, somehow. Unfortunately, the Tholian gamblebox is already released.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yes, the THolians are in the game, but I have no idea what they are doing or what we are doing with them ,other than fighting. Seems almost like an aborted arc, considering that we already got lockboxes and a reputation around it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    just because they are against the federation, doesn't mean they arent the good guys. too much pandering to federation hegemony in the game all together.

though i doubt that applies to the tholians. pretty sure their the type to steal ships from all around including parallel time-lines to recycle the tech and eat the crew.

They don't eat anyone, they're silicon based and have a volcanic body temperature, it's also why they need prisoners to do work for them, they'd shatter otherwise.
  • Options
    gurugeorgegurugeorge Member Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'd like to see them fleshed out a bit more too. Any non-humanoid alien that requires more than a plastic forehead prosthetic to be realized can only be a good thing in Star Trek.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    I've been wanting a Tholian episode since ages. Doesn't have to be special, but right now, all story that exists is: they are on Nukara, we are on Nukara, now fight.

And Temporal Ambassador doesn't count since it is another timeline.

romulan rep has a few missions with tholians and what they were doing at dewa.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Need some good STFs with stories for them.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I found Nukara confusing. So, Tholians wanted it, since it's a Class Y planet. Then, the Feds come along to tell them "GTFO". But why did the feds do that? They can't colonise it, but the Tholians definetely can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Cryptic moved on another villain of the month before ending the Tholian plot. To be honest, I would have been suprised if we had the end of that part of the story, considering Cryptic never really end their stories. Remember, we are still waiting to know what happened to Sela, what happen to the Undine we freed in the infamous Divide et Empera, we are still waiting for the Romulan Academy to replace the temporary reliance on allied academy, and we are still waiting to walk on New Romulus (the city). Remember how they said they would advance the construction of the city bit by bit, following the plot and all that, and how we would be able to see it growing and all that.

Yeah this is something I'm picking up on, only the earliest stories actually have conclusions, everything is just seems to get forgotten.
    jmaster29 wrote: »
    I found Nukara confusing. So, Tholians wanted it, since it's a Class Y planet. Then, the Feds come along to tell them "GTFO". But why did the feds do that? They can't colonise it, but the Tholians definetely can.

The Tholians were opening rifts to the Mirror universe and stealing Terran ships for...some reason. That will likely never be explained.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Tholians were opening rifts to the Mirror universe and stealing Terran ships for...some reason. That will likely never be explained.

There's also some noise that Nukara Prime has some native life that the Tholians want gone.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    gurugeorge wrote: »
    I'd like to see them fleshed out a bit more too. Any non-humanoid alien that requires more than a plastic forehead prosthetic to be realized can only be a good thing in Star Trek.

Oh so much this. I want to see aliens. Not rubber masks.
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The Tholians are one of my favourite races in STO. I agree that the "story" content we have for them is pretty lame, Nukara is just a PITA and they have no real missions other than the New Romulus one and Temporal Ambassador. Give us some cool story lines, more Tholians!
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    There's not a lot to draw from in the canon regarding the Tholians. They're somewhat xenophobic, but have been known to post ambassadors to the major powers of the quadrant. They seem to be interested in time travel and parallel universes, which is the role that STO has them playing.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of them and having that fleshed out.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    th3xr34p3rth3xr34p3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It would not surprise me if we see more tholian plots coming as we get further into the main Iconian side of things seeing whats happened at the end of the latest FE.
    [SIGPIC]Click to visit Subspace-Radio[/SIGPIC]
    Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
    The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
  • Options
    emarosa26emarosa26 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who really likes the Tholians. They're some of my favourite Star Trek things in one package:
    -Time Travel
    -Alternate realities
    -No humanoid aliens that are far and few between (Star Trek series need to invest in animatronics like Farscape did)

One of the best FEs is related to Tholians, so it shows they have potential.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    emarosa26 wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who really likes the Tholians. They're some of my favourite Star Trek things in one package:
    -Time Travel
    -Alternate realities
    -No humanoid aliens that are far and few between (Star Trek series need to invest in animatronics like Farscape did)

One of the best FEs is related to Tholians, so it shows they have potential.

Agreed. So much could be done with 'em. Time travel, diplomacy, explaining of why they're on NR and Nukara.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The 5th FE-Series was supposed to be Tholian (afaik) ... sadly it never happened ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    zysalianzysalian Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A race as distinctive as Tholians could definitely use more attention. What we currently have regarding them feels like "half a season" worth of material and story. Besides, they are one of the "old classic" Trek races, perhaps not as iconic as (say) Klingons or Romulans but still.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i + 1 this thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If I had to guess, I would say they are STOs Vorlons to the Iconian's Shadows....

Well, they might share that honor with the Undine.

Their technology scavenging from the future and paralell universes could be a desperate attempt to counter what the iconians can throw at us/them.

They are so alien that it might not even occur to them to team up with us, or they might not have enough confidence in us to do so.

They probably think that no one in the known universe is advanced enough to fight them and they might not even care about anyone else as long as they themselve survive the looming invasion.

They might be almost as old as the Iconians who themselves do not look like carbon based lifeforms.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    caasicamcaasicam Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Have to agree with the general sentiment of this thread. The Tholians really are one of those unique species in Trek, a non-humanoid one whose motives and reasoning are so far apart and utterly alien compared to our own, and I love it. Not to mention being a "classic" species. Having some more content to flesh them out would definitely be a plus for me.

That, and having the Tholians go in and unintentionally save us from the Iconians when stuff starts going down would be amazing. I don't see them as becoming allies, or even agnolaging that the Federation/KDF/Romulan Republic could help, more of the uncomfortable "We won't attack you until this threat is dealt with" alliance.
  • Options
    adorenkoadorenko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A good way to do this IMO is to create a temporal story line where we might interact with the Tholians of Kirk's time and the mirror universe. Where the Tholians keep trying to steal ships.
    Looking for more info on Dilithium Rising? Click on the link below:

[SIGPIC]Click here to visit my STO YouTube channel[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They could be a really interesting and unexpected ally against the Iconians, especially as they seem to be one of the older races and are extremely xenophobic (maybe for a good reason?).

As for their obsession with time well I would guess that it is something to do with the temporal cold war as according to ENT they were involved somehow.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    zipagat wrote: »
    As for their obsession with time well I would guess that it is something to do with the temporal cold war as according to ENT they were involved somehow.

If I never have to hear the phrase "temporal cold war" again I'll be a happy Bajoran.

In fact, frak every time travel suggestion and the targ they rode in on. I want somebody to write a time travel story where they go back in time to shoot the first person to come up with a time travel story. Repeatedly. In the foot. And maybe once in the TRIBBLE for good measure.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I don't think Tholians have flesh... In fact, I don't even think they have blood.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    I don't think Tholians have flesh... In fact, I don't even think they have blood.
    Can we stone them out, then?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.