test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CPU usage increase with s9

I've noticed that with the s9 update I've had a pretty wild increase in CPU usage from s8 (aka just yesterday, the 21st of April 2014). Now I will admit that my CPU is rather old (an old q9550), but yesterday it was idling in esd at around 55% usage on all cores. Now I can go anywhere and see it idling at at least 75%, with brief but regular spikes up to max for around a second every 15-20 seconds.

I had noticed this behaviour on tribble as well, but I'd put it down to extra debug code running in the background. Is it just a case of this code being left running on holodeck for the time being, or is this going to be a regular thing?
I need a beer.

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The graphic/video settings have been reset in options, try to tweak them
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The graphic/video settings have been reset in options, try to tweak them

I noticed that and reset them to what I had them at before. No effect at all on cpu usage.
    In fact, most of those settings have (in my experience) done very little for cpu usage, even on the old e8400 cpu I used before.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    I've been watching my cpu usage charts on the task manager. While I doubt it's the best way of getting info on cpu usage, I have noticed a strange pattern;
    Shortly before the usage spikes, there is a massive drop in cpu usage. After the spike cpu usage stabilizes, repeating every 15-20 seconds.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    ridddickxxxridddickxxx Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I had similar problem.
    Try disable post processing and/or dynamic lighting, also shadows take lot of CPU and anti-aliasing
    2nhfgxf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I had similar problem.
    Try disable post processing and/or dynamic lighting, also shadows take lot of CPU and anti-aliasing

Done, no effect. I wouldn't really expect those to as in my experience they are more to do with gpu..

My guess, is that there's some debug code from tribble that's been left running by cryptic for whatever reason. (Is holodeck the new tribble? lol)

EDIT

Also, as far as we know Post processing, dynamic lighting, shadows and AA haven't had any work done on them which imo rules them out as the culprits. It ran absolutely fine yesterday pre s9 and I've made no changes to my system since then.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Another double post;

I have an idea on what this might be. I have "limit cpu usage when inactive" enabled (and have done so for a long while now). Now it seems that when I alt-tab out, the limiter kicks in as it should, but when I alt-tab back to STO the limiter doesn't seem to disengage properly. I have a feeling that the limiter not disengaging is making the game momentarily think it should wait causing the near total drop in cpu usage, but then realise that it shouldn't be waiting and it then scrambles to catch up again causing the cpu spike.

Maybe.
    I need a beer.

• Options
    irishxpirishxp Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hi!
    I wrote a post in the "S9 CTD" Topic, I'll copy / paste here :)

About your problem, I can't help you but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
    My girlfriend has the same problem.
    There is something you can do, it's not a fix but it will let you to play: when you are in game just Ctrl + Alt + Canc and go to task manager; find the right process e right click on it.
    There should be something like "Set Affinity" (mine is in Italian so it's just an educated guess), untick one of the cpu listed.
    There you go, it won't be fluid but it won't just freeze every copule of secs.

Let me know if it helps you and more importantly if you find a real fix :D
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    irishxp wrote: »
    Hi!
    I wrote a post in the "S9 CTD" Topic, I'll copy / paste here :)

About your problem, I can't help you but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
    My girlfriend has the same problem.
    There is something you can do, it's not a fix but it will let you to play: when you are in game just Ctrl + Alt + Canc and go to task manager; find the right process e right click on it.
    There should be something like "Set Affinity" (mine is in Italian so it's just an educated guess), untick one of the cpu listed.
    There you go, it won't be fluid but it won't just freeze every copule of secs.

Let me know if it helps you and more importantly if you find a real fix :D

I read your post in the other thread and to be honest this problem is not about a CTD.
    The cpu affinity didn't help either. If anything, it just made the problem worse by forcing the other cores to work a lot harder. Thank you anyway.
    I need a beer.