test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How can you justify...

nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Reputation System
...taking away powers from the reputation system? Is this the solution to power creep? Seriously, I worked for that $#!+. ALL of it, not just the half (or less) you've left us. You've made this game like a job with all the grinding, then you remove the fruits of long hours of labor. Fleets- endless rep - events - all of these things become an investment in our characters. They have value based on the time players have invested into making them the best they can each according to their desire & commitment. Then, once they can blow through an elite STF mission in under 5 minutes, you decide to reboot. Well, we played along with the game, but I'm thinking it's time for a break. This isn't a Dooom thread; it's just me. Lots of folks in my fleet were still happily distracted by the shiny new things they saw, so I'm sure you won't suffer any. It's just "some" of your players that will. I'll probably come back, but for now, I'll be on something else a whole lot more.

Cheers.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I don't think lumping every trait you could ever get together will work, but it's pretty bad as it is now, too. 4 is just not enough to make any meaningful choices with traits.

Double trait slots to 8 for all categories, make the restrictions on changing traits equivalent to those of changing ships and builds, add active traits to the saved loadout system, and it would be perfect.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They weren't taken away; just limited (yes for power creep reasons).

And you can still change them (almost) any time you wish
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    trek21 wrote: »

That's the party line . . . But we know better.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    shmojoshmojo Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Just do what everyone else will do. Throw on the 4 best damage boosting powers and never look at them again.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shmojo wrote: »
    Just do what everyone else will do. Throw on the 4 best damage boosting powers and never look at them again.

Until you want to do Summat more interesting than chuck out damage like a volcano. Yeah, I find that fun as well. Just not all the time.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That's the party line . . . But we know better.
    It's still true, no matter how much we wish we had them all all-the-time (and we all do)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    mscowboymscowboy Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I used to like have some defensive traits though. And also looking forward to new traits from new reputations. That was really nice.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    shmojo wrote: »
    Not everyone else. I don't care what other players do with their stuff, I'm doing my own thing. so saying "everyone else" is false, since not everyone is going to follow the lemming builds.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like the ability of swapping traits on the fly depending on what I'm doing.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    After the novelty wears off, how often will players be changing their traits? I am sure they will create load outs for us . . . For a fee.
  • Options
    kargisterkargister Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As I suspected when I first heard about this, what they've done is give me reason to avoid rep grinds like the plague. Good thing for me. Possibly not the best thing for the Cryptic business model.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    kargister wrote: »
    As I suspected when I first heard about this, what they've done is give me reason to avoid rep grinds like the plague. Good thing for me. Possibly not the best thing for the Cryptic business model.

It's almost like they had two teams working on the rep system. One told to use 8.5 season as a template. The other team's goal was to reduce player's involvement.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ya know what. I AM GLAD this is happening. No more mindless grinidng for the same old buffs from reps and just heaping more and more. Now players actually have to stop and THINK about what they are doing.

Wow, so terrible, you can't now have it all and just super build into what you want, you actually have to pick and choose to max a SPECIFIC build.

I think that leads to more builds and more customization, not less. Now people actually have to try out powers they get from grinding and find what suits them.

This was a GOOD move, not a bad one. If you're crying about losing it, you were relying on it too much.

Adapt or die.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    waaa waaaa why can't I have all the things waa waaa
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014

What power creep? It's been tried and tested and the changes dont do ****!
    It's just another half arsed idea by craptic because noob went crying to a dev about having to grind out what everyone else has!
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    edited April 2014
    sqwished wrote: »
    What power creep? It's been tried and tested and the changes dont do ****!
    It's just another half arsed idea by craptic because noob went crying to a dev about having to grind out what everyone else has!

Sounds like somebody who can't handle and or deal with change. Again goes into destroying the one build to rule them all. Frankly it's going to make battling better because now you have to make strategic choices on what to bring to the fight instead of just having them all there. Frankly, nothing but good.

Again, adapt and overcome or sit there screaming like a child with a broken toy stamping your feet and crying crocodile tears.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Again, adapt and overcome or sit there screaming like a child with a broken toy stamping your feet and crying crocodile tears.

Was that a Specist remark about the Gorn? :P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    coffeemikecoffeemike Member Posts: 942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As a Vesta captain, I really like slotting both AUX Offensive & Defensive rep traits. Its... really nice.

The other two rep trait slots are a crapshoot for me for space.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    After the novelty wears off, how often will players be changing their traits? I am sure they will create load outs for us . . . For a fee.

What the hell you talking about.. you want another broken loadout system?? for god sake.. :mad:
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Was that a Specist remark about the Gorn? :P

Hey I never promised to be politically correct, just correct. Like ralphie may :cool:
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I like the idea as it gives you more flexible options for the game. Depending on what mission your doing.

I don't see this as bad, I see it being more a challenge. As you have to pick your choices wisely. And it kinda helps other players as well. Where they don't have all the reps unlocked.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Rarely, if at all. I'm not changing traits before every match. Gotta be kidding me. However, a loadout system, say, with two tabs on the hud: one for space and one for ground, would be an easy way to make a big difference.
  • Options
    nakedcrooknakedcrook Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Lets call a spade a spade here...the reputation nerf was done NOT because of power creep. It was done because Cryptic wants to keep dishing out reputations without consequence. They want a copy and paste solution to new content...and reps are the lazy way of doing it.

We got our passives caped and we paid the price for Cryptic's lack of creativity and their short sightedness. The worst part is they have tricked about half of the player base into thinking that the power creep was caused by the passives...all while silently pushing the Dilithium/Money sinkholes behind a curtain where we would not see them (I am looking at you Starbase Fleet Gear)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you oppose the Reputation nerf, feel free to use my signature
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nakedcrook wrote: »
    Lets call a spade a spade here...the reputation nerf was done NOT because of power creep. It was done because Cryptic wants to keep dishing out reputations without consequence. They want a copy and paste solution to new content...and reps are the lazy way of doing it.

We got our passives caped and we paid the price for Cryptic's lack of creativity and their short sightedness. The worst part is they have tricked about half of the player base into thinking that the power creep was caused by the passives...all while silently pushing the Dilithium/Money sinkholes behind a curtain where we would not see them (I am looking at you Starbase Fleet Gear)

You can't faceroll the stupid NPCs in PvE missions and say power creep isn't a huge problem (anyone else remember ISE's 10% rule?).
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    I like the idea as it gives you more flexible options for the game. Depending on what mission your doing.

I don't see this as bad, I see it being more a challenge. As you have to pick your choices wisely. And it kinda helps other players as well. Where they don't have all the reps unlocked.

Its the opposite lol. Now you can activate any trait you want at any time, and you have ALL your traits available to use, is that more challenge for you?? serioulsy?? lol....

Its more challengin to be able to select only a few traits and thats your choice that will last for your entire career. That is challenging, because in that case, yes you need to select your traits wisely, as you said, but not in the other case lol. And thats the way it should be, in STO , in any mmorpg.

STO stop being a mmorpg time ago, but now with these changes on the trait system, is nothing but a pew pew game.But now, our characters are superman, they can be a damage dealer, a rock in the ground, or watever they want lol. Just in a couple of seconds it takes to disable and activate other trait. Ridiculous.

But when cryptic did things wisely?? hmm, let me think...

still thinking...

hmm...
  • Options
    groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I get your frustration OP. I saw allot of angry chatter today ingame.
    I am also gutted to lose my rep loadout as I had it just how I liked it with both offensive and defensive skills which really rounded off my builds. I'm going to have to heavily rebuild most of my ships to even get something close to what I had and it won't be nearly the same.
    I get the powercreep argument as that is an ingame issue, but nerfing everyone who bust their nuts (or otherwise) to finish all the reps kind of sucks.
    Its just added a whole world of potential messing around with traits before every mission which let's face it most of us won't bother doing all the time.
    Some have suggested that it will increase diversity in the game. I do not see this as the case. Quite the opposite in fact.
    I risk losing some very efficient fleet members as they rage (and understandably so) about this.
    Sadly though I fear we are stuck with it now.
    There's a guy on the forums with an amusing stormtrooper "hignsight" sig, had I known the rep was going to go this way when I started grinding it over my four toons then I definately would not have prioritised the rep as much as I did in terms of my time ingame.
    I'm usually pretty easy going about these sorts of things, and I will adapt and continue playing. That doesn't however detract from the fact that it sucks, and I understand why some people are angry about it.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Sounds like somebody who can't handle and or deal with change. Again goes into destroying the one build to rule them all. Frankly it's going to make battling better because now you have to make strategic choices on what to bring to the fight instead of just having them all there. Frankly, nothing but good.

Haha for the record I've run KAGE 2 man with the new system and guess what it didn't make the slightest bit of difference! In fact we completed the optional almost a minute faster than we did using the old system.

But the plus side its allowed me to swap a few items around on the Romulan rep with out using zen.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    getafix101getafix101 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In reply to origional quote poster.

I must state that I agree all those hours used to gain extra things... now in a short list of 4 slots.

But....

THe way I see it now they have freed up all the rest of my game play in STO now as I never need to conduct missions to grind for REP. THis because I know they are not worth grinding for. Only need to get one or two and your set. I will choose the 4 or so TRAiTs I need and now play aspects of the game that I enjoy instead of relentless borring grinds.

So thank you STO for this, but no thanks for hours waisted in the past.

My Gripe: Wheres our free stuff!!!! For all that waisted time???? Guess I will have to grind for that free stuff durring some lame 14 day special grind event that I will never finish leaving me more unfinished quests. I Once read in a post long ago this game was made for the unemployed as peolpe that cant play more than 12hr /day every day 365 days a year are the one that are punnished. Now it seams that I've been punished even more than that. Time will tell. But my game time will also be far less.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ya know what. I AM GLAD this is happening. No more mindless grinidng for the same old buffs from reps and just heaping more and more. Now players actually have to stop and THINK about what they are doing.

Wow, so terrible, you can't now have it all and just super build into what you want, you actually have to pick and choose to max a SPECIFIC build.

I think that leads to more builds and more customization, not less. Now people actually have to try out powers they get from grinding and find what suits them.

This was a GOOD move, not a bad one. If you're crying about losing it, you were relying on it too much.

Adapt or die.

Absolutely agreed. Took the words right out of my mouth. Players whining about how this is a terrible idea are only doing so because it reduces their power in-game. They can no longer have the best of both worlds or max out in 1 area. Now they have to think more strategically about their ship build and what traits and will be best suited for it.

I have seen many complaints about more cookie cutter builds coming around because of this change, yet I have yet to see an exanation as to why this will happen. In fact, this is because there is none, because its simply not true. There will certainly be more diversity as a result, not less. Of course, dps players will refuse to see it that way because they can't overload their ships damage output anymore. What this change has done is allow non-dps focused players to build around their setup to either counter dps with defense, or add a little more damage to their defensive setup.

To all of you whining about how there will be more cookie cutter builds, this k about this; when we had the rep traits all available, what was happening? Everyone was using the same traits to get the same results on very similar ship builds. This is almost the definition of cookie cutter. Without all those traits available, ship builds differ quite a bit now. Before, since everyone had the same traits, they just canceled each other out, and you might as well have not had them in the first place. I really hope some of this is getting through to the more stubborn players, because I would hate to see this game become similar to what BSGO is, a tired game based on 2 different factions with ships and gear that are exact mirror images of each other in terms of stats. Don't kill this game just because you can't handle minute changes.
  • Options
    dratrampageddratrampaged Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I worked hard to get my toons T5 in all reps. 20 usable traits now cut to 12. With the Undine it would have been 25 reduced to 12. So what about power creep. Make the missions harder. Nobody likes to have stuff taken away.

Since now I have to pick and choose which traits I can USE, I want to be able to pick and choose which traits I EARN. Where's the incentive to go through the rep system if I can't use the traits? Why spend the time and resources to go through T1 and T2 if I may only want to use the traits from T3 or T4? As they add reputations it will only add to traits I can't use. The percentage of usable traits goes down with each additional rep (was 100%, currently 60%, assuming T5 in Undine rep drops it to 48%). More work for diminishing returns.

I was going to buy keys for the many lockboxes I have. Now the lockboxes are discarded - frees up inventory slots. To be honest I may discontinue my subscription and go free to play.