test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which parts can I copy over?

My hard drive is going to put its' little read/write heads up in the air soon and going to the great PC in the sky so I am going to be installing a new hard drive shortly. Now can I copy the entire folder over from my old drive and have it work? If not what can I copy over to save on patching time from a fresh install?

I know I can do it with some like WOW I am just not sure about STO.
Post edited by decronia on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    decronia wrote: »
    My hard drive is going to put its' little read/write heads up in the air soon and going to the great PC in the sky so I am going to be installing a new hard drive shortly. Now can I copy the entire folder over from my old drive and have it work? If not what can I copy over to save on patching time from a fresh install?

I know I can do it with some like WOW I am just not sure about STO.

Regardless of what you do, you have to run the install program at least once, to get the Windows registry entries, and file directory permissions correct.... Once the STO directory has been created, you can stop the download, and copy in the contents of your previous STO directory into the new location...
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Search for Hiren Boot CD, buy a cheap 4GB usb stick. Search for a tutorial to make this USB stick bootable.

When you boot up, boot as Mini XP, open HBCD and search for Seagate HDD clone & backup agent.

Now select your original HDD and set your new HDD as its destination, make it proportional.

When finished, remove your old HDD. Your computer will work and boot like he's always has done.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I copied mine over with no issues, launcher worked fine and put me straight in with no problems. That was 3 months ago and not a hitch.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thanks everyone. I can build a PC with no problem the part I hate is installing the software, so anything that can speed that up for me is appreciated.

Unfortunately Stoutes I have XP so I am taking the opportunity to install Win7 while I am at it. I have been putting it off because I have a bit of stuff that is going to need reinstalling.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah, STO can simply be copied. No re-installation required. I did that when I restored my laptop to factory settings.

I recommend that you create an image of your C: drive after installing all the baseline software you want so that in the event you get a virus, replace the hard drive, or just want to do a "clean install". By baseline I mean software that you always want to have installed on your PC. For example, before making an image of my laptop's C: drive I installed MS Office, some utilities (like CCleaner, Core Temp, and Macrium Reflect), and some video editing software. Those are programs that will always be installed on my laptop. I also update the OS as much as possible before making an image.

Macrium Reflect is a free drive image software and I recommend using it unless you have another preferred backup software.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Should you ever need to re-install Windows 7 in the future doing this step can save you several hours of your time.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks again. I was thinking of cloning the drive when I have it set up as my local PC parts shop is having a sale on 1TB drives at £25. Just my luck it started two days after I bought mine for £40. Oh well get a couple now for future use.

Now all I have to figure out is if a 32" LCD TV will make a decent monitor before I tell my friend yep or nope on it. He decided he didn't like it so got himself a 46" LED one and offered me the old one as a monitor as it has the needed to attach it to me PC.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Now all I have to figure out is if a 32" LCD TV will make a decent monitor before I tell my friend yep or nope on it. He decided he didn't like it so got himself a 46" LED one and offered me the old one as a monitor as it has the needed to attach it to me PC.

Just be aware that graphic cards (GPUs) can have scaling issues with HDTVs. Even though the HDTV is 1080p and you set your resolution to 1080p, the desktop might be appear smaller (meaning black borders = Under Scan) or the full desktop might be too big and you do not see the entire desktop (Over Scan). The GPU software (Catalyst for AMD Radeon cards, not sure what it is called for nVidia cards) should give you an option to adjust the scanning.

Also, you should be aware that the LCD panels for HDTVs are designed for shapes rather than text. So when looking at text side by side vs a LCD monitor, the text on the HDTV will not look quiet as sharp as on a LCD monitor. It will still be legible, but it is something you should be aware of. A 32" LCD HDTV will make a decent monitor in general... as long as you are not sitting too close to it.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks again. Basically it will do while I save up for a proper monitor that is larger than my current 17in one then. I'll tell him yep then. It can then be passed on to someone else when I do. You'd be surprised what my friends and I just give to each other instead of selling on.

Two things to save up for now a new graphics card to replace my 8600 that has served me well for a long time, when I can figure out which nVidia number to go for, and a new monitor. Thankfully my mum has been hassling my to find out what to get me for my birthday so that's the monitor sorted.
    edited April 2014
    Well one more question from me. Thanks again all for the help and advice you have given me.

A friend has decided to get me a graphics card for my birthday. The problem is I am used to the old numbering system for nVidia and I am a bit lost on the new one. My old one is a 9500GT so I am wondering what to get now. I am looking at these:
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/58960/PALIT-Geforce-GTX-750-StormX-1GB-Overclocked-PCI
    http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/55230/Palit-Geforce-GTX-650-OC-1GB-GDDR5-128Bit-PCI-E

Which one do you think would be best for a general user? I play a few games, Rift, WoW, this game and EVE off and on. Plus I will be upgrading to win7 when I get down to work if that helps.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Which one do you think would be best for a general user? I play a few games, Rift, WoW, this game and EVE off and on. Plus I will be upgrading to win7 when I get down to work if that helps.

You'd probably be better off looking at a hardware enthusiast site for advise then asking around the STO forums... Tom's Hardware would be my go-to site for something like this... http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html