test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

White/black hair update

crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
We'll have another hair texture update coming soon based on feedback which pointed out that black hair wasn't as black after the recent hair texture update (which was meant to allow whiter hair).

The textures have been modified. White hair won't look as pure white as the most recent update, but is still whiter than originally in most cases.

And black hair will be close to what it was originally with slightly more contrast.
Post edited by crypticjoejing on

Comments

• daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well that's good to hear. My prematurely grey haired toons thank you :D
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Considering your now looking at some hair tweaks, if there is time, can the team please consider fixing how some hairstyles disappear before the full beamin dematerialisation affect kicks in for the whole body. A full pass would be welcome, but I'd like to specifically point out the problem as it pertains to Shaved 01 Thicker.

Here's an old video I made on it, if it helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u89-rRTo90M

What better time to correct this defect than when some time has been scheduled for hairstyles? ;)

Thanks and rock on.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thank you for the update, crypticjoejing. How will the change affect other hair colors besides black and white? Many players have brown, blonde, red, or even blue, green, or purple hair.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh good. My Captain (who is in her 30's) was most displeased. :D

She will be feeling a lot better.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nynik wrote: »
    Considering your now looking at some hair tweaks, if there is time, can the team please consider fixing how some hairstyles disappear before the full beamin dematerialisation affect kicks in for the whole body. A full pass would be welcome, but I'd like to specifically point out the problem as it pertains to Shaved 01 Thicker.

Here's an old video I made on it, if it helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u89-rRTo90M

What better time to correct this defect than when some time has been scheduled for hairstyles? ;)

Thanks and rock on.

My character's eyebrows disappear when she beams out. >_>

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nynik wrote: »

Thanks and rock on.

And skirts beaming out first so everybody can see my thong. That's worse than male transporter pattern baldness. :P
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Thank you for the update, crypticjoejing. How will the change affect other hair colors besides black and white? Many players have brown, blonde, red, or even blue, green, or purple hair.

They will similarly revert close to the what they were before the update.

Insight on how it works is that the color is an overlay onto predominantly grey scale textures. So when you choose a color, you aren't applying a new texture - it's just tinting the texture. That's why if the texture is too dark to begin with, you can't really make it lighter.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    My character's eyebrows disappear when she beams out. >_>
    i have one character, maybe more, whose facial hair vanishes as he's beaming out, every time

and then of course there's the ever-fun beaming-in-naked-for-a-split-second thing that crops up sometimes
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Insight on how it works is that the color is an overlay onto predominantly grey scale textures. So when you choose a color, you aren't applying a new texture - it's just tinting the texture. That's why if the texture is too dark to begin with, you can't really make it lighter.

Forgive the can't-you-just ism here, but can't you just make a toggle in the tailor UI for a light version of the texture and a dark version?
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014

This is true for every thing you can colour in the game. Which is why somethings can't be coloured together. :rolleyes:
  • gpgtxgpgtx Member Posts: 1,579 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    Forgive the can't-you-just ism here, but can't you just make a toggle in the tailor UI for a light version of the texture and a dark version?

or a base texture pallet from dark grey to white? would add more color variations and would allow the current colors to stay and add in white/light color
    victoriasig_zps23c45368.jpg
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We'll have another hair texture update coming soon based on feedback which pointed out that black hair wasn't as black after the recent hair texture update (which was meant to allow whiter hair).

The textures have been modified. White hair won't look as pure white as the most recent update, but is still whiter than originally in most cases.

And black hair will be close to what it was originally with slightly more contrast.

Some of the beards (I can get a list later if needed) are impossible to correctly make a light color. It appears that they are 2 different layers, and while you can change the color of one layer (say to "blonde" or White) the other layer remains a fairly dark brown. If you are looking into hair anyway, I hope you look into this as well.
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014

Forgiven :P But def not a "can't-you-just" situation. Far more set-up, implications, and potential repercussions with the system than you might think.
    Some of the beards (I can get a list later if needed) are impossible to correctly make a light color. It appears that they are 2 different layers, and while you can change the color of one layer (say to "blonde" or White) the other layer remains a fairly dark brown. If you are looking into hair anyway, I hope you look into this as well.

This is a similar issue and it's on a list of things we'd like to improve. But let's see where the hair tweaks settle first.
  • drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I take it a darker blue for alien skin tones (and costumes and so on), like midnight blue or blue-black, is also on that list of "more trouble to implement than you'd think"?
  • yulianhuayulianhua Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    switchngc wrote: »

This is a similar issue and it's on a list of things we'd like to improve. But let's see where the hair tweaks settle first.

I'm glad to hear this, and am looking forward to it. It makes me sad when I see my mid-30s Captain with gray in his black beard. :eek:

Edit:
    drreverend wrote: »
    I take it a darker blue for alien skin tones (and costumes and so on), like midnight blue or blue-black, is also on that list of "more trouble to implement than you'd think"?

To add to this, could we possibly see darker shades of brown eyes? Even the darkest shade currently available is far too light. The eyes of people with ethnically brown eyes (Asians, Blacks, Hispanics, Middle Easterners) have irises that, in most situations, appear near the color of black coffee. Currently, there's a lot of milk in the coffee. :P

Same goes for skin tones. My above-mentioned captain is black, but even the darkest shade is still pretty light.

I once saw a story on TV once about a woman who made makeup for people who have had skin traumas (burns, pigmentation problems, etc.) and she observed that skin colors are generally similar to coffee with varying amounts of milk in them, from very little to a whole lot. In my experience, this seems to be the case, for the most part -- with the exception of people with hints of red in their coloring.

So, to summarize and add to what drreverend said, any chance of more skin tone varieties in general in the future?
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I suspect that this update was never released. Maybe, it was mistakenly left out of a patch. Compare the screenshots I took before crypticjoejing made this thread with the screenshots I took yesterday.

Human female 1
    Tribble 4/8/2014, Tribble 5/4/2014

Human female 2
    Tribble 4/8/2014, Tribble 5/4/2014

Human male
    Tribble 4/11/2014, Tribble 5/4/2014

The screenshots above show no noticeable difference in blonde and brown hair, even though crypticjoejing indicated that those hair colors should have darkened.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=16394921&postcount=8

Below is a screenshot of Admiral T'nae at Starbase 39-Sierra. Her hair still looks grayish. Unfortunately, I don't have a "before" screenshot of someone with black hair.

Admiral T'nae (Tribble 5/4/2014)
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png