test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A quick thank you to Cryptic/PWE

starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
Without naming the culprit, I tried out another f2p game recently, and while it was fun at first, I started running into one restriction after another. I was really enjoying it and was probably going to sub, but after seeing just how harsh those restrictions are, I changed my mind. I can't even post on their forums without paying, and that's just stupid.

Before anyone flips out and starts throwing the word "entitlement" around, I don't expect to have everything without paying, but no message board? No bank space AT ALL? Huge pauses between typing messages in general chat? You have to pay to unlock toolbars? Give me a break.

Thanks to Cryptic/PWE for not being such hardasses when it comes to their f2p model.
Post edited by starmada1 on

Comments

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And people wonder why I like Cryptic/PWE so much. :rolleyes:
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But... You can't play STO without paying real cash? You HAVE to buy at LEAST 5 items from the C-Store to be compeditive... No character can survive with the stock items...

(Disclaimer: Sarcasm and ridicule of people who actually belives the above may occour).
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    yes it is still one of the best F2P systems I have had the luxury of playing without starving their F2P player's, while other MMO's I have played take even longer grind to get any of the content, and that is provided they even offer you that capability, oh and let's not forget about those RNG's for 99% of all the loot in the game.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starmada1 wrote: »
    Without naming the culprit, I tried out another f2p game recently, and while it was fun at first, I started running into one restriction after another. I was really enjoying it and was probably going to sub, but after seeing just how harsh those restrictions are, I changed my mind. I can't even post on their forums without paying, and that's just stupid.

Before anyone flips out and starts throwing the word "entitlement" around, I don't expect to have everything without paying, but no message board? No bank space AT ALL? Huge pauses between typing messages in general chat? You have to pay to unlock toolbars? Give me a break.

Thanks to Cryptic/PWE for not being such hardasses when it comes to their f2p model.

Was it the other Star **** Game? ;-) I tried that and found much the same, that I couldn't play any serious amount without hitting a pay wall.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Agreed. STO has the best F2P model I have found to date (well, it is beaten by this other MMORPG called Realm of the Mad God, but that game is, well, made out of pixels...... :P). Everybody can get competitive with the level 40 ship and good gear you grind for. You can even get the Zen ships by grinding for them. STO offers so much options for those who don't want to spend a dime, while still rewarding the subscribers.

And anazonda, you underestimate the power of the da- Rahm side
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • starmada1starmada1 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tobar26th wrote: »
    Was it the other Star **** Game? ;-) I tried that and found much the same, that I couldn't play any serious amount without hitting a pay wall.

Yea.. I mean it has some things I think are superior, and it runs nice and smooth aside from atrocious loading times, but yea.. every time I turn around it's "unlock this by subbing."
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Agreed. STO has the best F2P model I have found to date (well, it is beaten by this other MMORPG called Realm of the Mad God, but that game is, well, made out of pixels...... :P). Everybody can get competitive with the level 40 ship and good gear you grind for. You can even get the Zen ships by grinding for them. STO offers so much options for those who don't want to spend a dime, while still rewarding the subscribers.

And anazonda, you underestimate the power of the da- Rahm side

That means you haven't played any PW games. They release "packs" or "lockboxes" at ripoff values, inducing a few ppl to pay obscene amount of money, instead of trying to make everyone pay a little each. In their first game, "Perfect World," you pay $50 for a feather pack, containing random amount of feathers, it takes around $500 worth to exchange for an elite pheonix or herc pet. Both of which are excellent, but neither are needed for gameplay. Every one of PW's games are f2p, and every one follows this model.

Oh, and they're all grindy.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Compared to the MMO i played before (Need for Speed World), STO is amazing.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    But... You can't play STO without paying real cash? You HAVE to buy at LEAST 5 items from the C-Store to be compeditive... No character can survive with the stock items...

(Disclaimer: Sarcasm and ridicule of people who actually belives the above may occour).

That's assuming you are focusing on PvP.

Excluding PvP altogether, it is very possible to play the PvE content without buying anything from the C-Store.

In fact, my Fed Toon has not even finished the Klingon War main story so I don't even have a lot of the "good equipment" the game provides through the main story missions. The last mission I completed was "The Doomsday Device". That means I still have the Wasteland, Romulan Mystery, Cardassian Struggle, Borg Collective, Breen Invasion, Undine Advance and Solonae Dyson Sphere story arcs to complete. I am able to do elite STFs with very basic equipment. The most advanced weapon I have are phaser beam array Mk XI. The best equipment I have is probably a deflector dish and shields array from "A Step Between Stars" mission. All other equipment I have are either loot drops or things I bought off the exchange for no more than 100k EC a piece.

My KDF toon is basically the same as well I have not progressed any further than the "Fek'lhri Return" story arc so again, I have very basic equipment. The main reason why I generally die 2 - 4 times in every Elite STF I play is because I am only flying a T5 Hegh'ta Heavy BoP. I think a box of tissue paper has more hull strength than all the BoPs put together in STO.
  • catliketypingcatliketyping Member Posts: 611
    edited April 2014
    STO is the best Star Trek MMO on the market today, if not the best ever.
    :cool:
    Nessia (KDF Sci)
    IKS Korrasami (Fleet B'rel Bird of Prey Retrofit T5-U)
  • tyranthraxisiityranthraxisii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

It was SWTOR. That game is very good when you pay a subscription, but the F2P Matrix is GARBAGE! You can't even run instances, you get no money, so you have to farm the same low level TRIBBLE tediously just to get money. can't use a lot of special items. It sucks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=TREQGl54BU8&feature=endscreen
    I thought WoW's forums had angry elitist snobs, but I never could have imagined the level STO forums has.:confused:
    edited April 2014
    At this point it's simply unlocked at a later level, along with the mounts.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    At this point it's simply unlocked at a later level, along with the mounts.

Are you serious....?
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    I should not need to remind you the EVA Suits that were put in the C-Store were at character and not account as they did tried that to see if it stuck, it didnt ...

Which I must admit, I was happy to discover I could claim them for free as a veteran reward.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
    edited April 2014
    Are you serious....?

Yea, I forget the levels for sprinting, but a subber can use ground mounts at level 15, and a f2per can use them at level 25.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally when I decided to try out a non console game for the first time in a while I tried STO and SWTOR at the same time, and sto won hands down within hours because of the much more open features.
    Sure some things are sub and lifer only but most things can be paid for in time.
    Since I've become a terminal sto addict I have stopped playing other games and I'm happy to spend the money I don't spend buying other games keeping my interest in the game with little perks and saving grind time.
    Were my income more solid I would happliy pay a sub or lifer.
    I love the way they set the game up for free players. Its made me at least happy to give them my money when I have to enhance the experience they give me for free.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And people wonder why I like Cryptic/PWE so much. :rolleyes:

Because you work for em lol. I am pretty sure.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Its not about the f2p model. The problem with cryptic is that they never care anymore about the QUALITY of the game. So, yes they have a good f2p model, but it doesnt matter since year after they brake more things than the last year, and they dont fix em, because they dont want. And you will realize when you play several months in STO, that the f2p model doesnt have any value if the company behind it is a money eater. Because people always forget that "f2p" doesnt mean that the company will get less money, its the opossite. In fact, is the classic strategy to stabilish a definitive system to keep gaining money from the loyal customers. They gain more money than before, by far. And it happens with every mmorpg with a little of success.
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    While it is true that STO has a very appealing f2p model, it is also true that you get what you pay for.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 6,007 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    PWE's f2p model is really the only positive thing about them
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      Yea, I forget the levels for sprinting, but a subber can use ground mounts at level 15, and a f2per can use them at level 25.

You unlocked grount mounts at level 25 before the F2P transition so that part of the F2P matrix is not TRIBBLE you over.
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      starkaos wrote: »
      You unlocked grount mounts at level 25 before the F2P transition so that part of the F2P matrix is not TRIBBLE you over.
      I think Hiei's point was that it's annoying for the game to basically go "neener neener, subs can do this but you can't".
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      Haven't logged in there in a while, do they still make f2pers pay to unlock the sprint power if they want to move faster than a walk?

Sprinting is unlocked at Lvl 10 now. Also, if you make a purchase of 4.99 or more from their shop, your account becomes a "Preferred Account" and a few extra features are opened up for you including one extra character slot per server, bank access, full general chat access, sprint from level one. There are a few other "perks" as well.
    • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      scififan78 wrote: »
      Sprinting is unlocked at Lvl 10 now. Also, if you make a purchase of 4.99 or more from their shop, your account becomes a "Preferred Account" and a few extra features are opened up for you including one extra character slot per server, bank access, full general chat access, sprint from level one. There are a few other "perks" as well.

it 4 more slots.

also one they people always forget is well swtor you have to pay for end game gear, the unlock is about 10 dollars for account unlock compared to 20 per fleet ship each time you want it is actually alot cheaper, and everything from the cash shop is buyable from from the gtn compare to the few things on the exchange. that being said for pure free to pay cryptic is better for the reasons listed in this thread but if you can pay even a little swtor is cheaper.

in any case I'm going to enjoy both till they close.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      its not only the cost of playing compared to the ftp restrictions that you should look at it is also the grind/rewards that you have in game.
      granted there is a certain amount of what some players refer to as grind though personally I don't find it a grind at all but that's neither here nor there, a few other mmos I have played naming no names are set up so the grind is so hard to do for most casual(free) players to attain that it makes it virtually impossible to do so only the best ardent(subbers who get bonus points) players are ever likely to grind out enough of the required points to get the reward and to add insult to injury if you haven't received the required points by the end of the day for daily grind week for weekly grind all your points you have earned are lost, no holding points over till the next time they run the event or even the next day sometimes.
      at least with sto the challenge is quick and easy for all players regardless of player ability , amount of time you can play and if you are ftp or pay a sub.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      its not only the cost of playing compared to the ftp restrictions that you should look at it is also the grind/rewards that you have in game.
      granted there is a certain amount of what some players refer to as grind though personally I don't find it a grind at all but that's neither here nor there, a few other mmos I have played naming no names are set up so the grind is so hard to do for most casual(free) players to attain that it makes it virtually impossible to do so only the best ardent(subbers who get bonus points) players are ever likely to grind out enough of the required points to get the reward and to add insult to injury if you haven't received the required points by the end of the day for daily grind week for weekly grind all your points you have earned are lost, no holding points over till the next time they run the event or even the next day sometimes.
      at least with sto the challenge is quick and easy for all players regardless of player ability , amount of time you can play and if you are ftp or pay a sub.

Have to agree. I dont get it either why lots of ppl find STO grindy. In fact its the opossite. Is the least grindy. In alot of mmos you have to grind for 6-8 months to get a good set, here after 1-2 months you have it becouse of the rep system. Ppl may hate it, but its actually a good system. Allmost all other mmos have a reward system like the old STF one, but worse. Imagine that after beatting Magus or Armek of Borg, it would only have a smal chance to drop 1 single prototype that had to be later given to only 1 team member, not a chance for each player like the old system had.

Also as the OP said, this is the best f2p model out there atm.

And speaking of game quality and bugs, its not all that bad. The devs keep the bugs at a reasonable lvls. And no bots and very few EC sellers, like I get maybe 3-4 mail spams at every 3-4 months. In other games, even p2p, devs even made a special button to report bots lol
      And there arent major gamebreaking bugs, and when they occur, they get fixed fairly fast.
    • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
      edited April 2014
      I play SWTOR for lore and story, and STO for mind numbing space pew pew.

I have a happy medium, and while TOR has a truely horrible f2p system, it is actually worth the sub. ;)
      Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
      Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
      What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
      3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited April 2014
      mosul33 wrote: »
      Have to agree. I dont get it either why lots of ppl find STO grindy. In fact its the opossite. Is the least grindy. In alot of mmos you have to grind for 6-8 months to get a good set, here after 1-2 months you have it becouse of the rep system. Ppl may hate it, but its actually a good system. Allmost all other mmos have a reward system like the old STF one, but worse. Imagine that after beatting Magus or Armek of Borg, it would only have a smal chance to drop 1 single prototype that had to be later given to only 1 team member, not a chance for each player like the old system had.

Also as the OP said, this is the best f2p model out there atm.

And speaking of game quality and bugs, its not all that bad. The devs keep the bugs at a reasonable lvls. And no bots and very few EC sellers, like I get maybe 3-4 mail spams at every 3-4 months. In other games, even p2p, devs even made a special button to report bots lol
      And there arent major gamebreaking bugs, and when they occur, they get fixed fairly fast.

one particular game I played just the other day as a free player, the special event was you had to collect 10k experience points to earn a prize of equivalent value to aprox 30zen ( that's about 30 cents I believe ( hardly a fortune )), sounds easy I thought, I`ll give it a try.
      for a start as a free player you don't get as much exp as subbers secondly it turns out that you only get your exp added if you are in the top 10 players in your team so only the best players score most of the time I played for a good 4 hours and got to about 7300 exp before calling it a night, when I started the next day my running total had been put back to zero as it turned out all uncompleted scores were wiped at 06:00.
      what a world of fun that was!
      I didn't bother trying again.

edited April 2014
      all mmo`s have their good and bad points, no game is perfect and I am sure the devs would admit that themselves.
      none can be said to be 100% bug free, I have sampled many of the ftp mmo`s and have seen some minor and major bugs in all of them.
      they are all out to earn money for the company's that run them and that is only natural, at the end of the day they need to make money to stay alive.
      they all have repetitive content in one form or another, it is impossible to produce new content at the rate we can play through it.
      for some reason I find myself playing sto much more then any other, in truth this in part has a lot to do with the fact I am a trekie but that doesn't mean I will play a rubbish game just because its star trek.
      mostly the reason I play sto more then any other is the gameplay is good, there is a fair amount of new content added regularly, I don't find the grind a grind, I don't find the bugs too bad, the ftp model is the best I have seen, there are lots of special events that are easy to complete even for the poorest of players, they are fair to all players and above all its fun.