test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

prepatch question

philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
the last two patches i predownloaded i ended up download again on patch day. i'm on satelite internet with only 40gigs to play with a month. So i'm torn between prepatching or waiting. I need of my bonus time download wildstar. So i guess im asking what others think.

PS just curiousity does kknow the size of wildstar?
Post edited by philchap on

Comments

• Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Holy hell, the only time I download 40 gigs in a month is when my wallet's full of money and all the games I wanted were on sale.

That didn't happen since....2012?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Holy hell, the only time I download 40 gigs in a month is when my wallet's full of money and all the games I wanted were on sale.

That didn't happen since....2012?

well there isnt much choice when you live the middle of nowhere texas.
  • Options
    f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    my understanding is that it doesn't actually redownload anything that was prepatched, it just has to copy them from the folder the pre-patch was cached in.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    my understanding is that it doesn't actually redownload anything that was prepatched, it just has to copy them from the folder the pre-patch was cached in.

I know that should happen but the last patch i watch it and my download meter and redownloaded the whole thing. now matbe cause i did it be for the srever came up.
  • Options
    olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The purpose of the prepatch is that you will download significantly less come Season 9 release. I am sure there will be a patch that day as well, but doing a big patch in small increments lessens the demand on the Cryptic servers and allows you to get the new season with less annoyance as you will have most of the new content already installed.

This should not have a huge impact on your total data. Note that things can change and with every season there are issues and additional patches will most likely be needed to correct those issues.

Just a footnote - I tracked my data in March and it turns out I used about 40gigs. I have unlimited, but I was curious so I tracked it. It really isn't that hard to get to that level when you play the game, work remotely, and also use your net for things like Netflix, Hulu, etc. So far this month I have used about 17gigs and it just turned to the 14th.

In case you are curious, I use Cucusoft Netguard to track. It's isn't 100% accurate, but it is pretty darn close. The only issue I have with it is it does not track the data I use on my tablet and phone. Still a nice tool.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    olivia211 wrote: »
    The purpose of the prepatch is that you will download significantly less come Season 9 release. I am sure there will be a patch that day as well, but doing a big patch in small increments lessens the demand on the Cryptic servers and allows you to get the new season with less annoyance as you will have most of the new content already installed.

This should not have a huge impact on your total data. Note that things can change and with every season there are issues and additional patches will most likely be needed to correct those issues.

Just a footnote - I tracked my data in March and it turns out I used about 40gigs. I have unlimited, but I was curious so I tracked it. It really isn't that hard to get to that level when you play the game, work remotely, and also use your net for things like Netflix, Hulu, etc. So far this month I have used about 17gigs and it just turned to the 14th.

In case you are curious, I use Cucusoft Netguard to track. It's isn't 100% accurate, but it is pretty darn close. The only issue I have with it is it does not track the data I use on my tablet and phone. Still a nice tool.

actually i biggest download issues is downloading updates. I read otyher had the same issue with 8.5. so im notr alone