test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How can I skip or disable warp and teleporter animation?

ourmasterourmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
How can I skip or disable warp and teleporter animation? It gets really annoying, after being forced to watch this animation so many times.
Post edited by ourmaster on

Comments

• Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh? You dislike the warp and transporter animations, do you?

*slowly tips your desktop table up and sends your set up crashing to the ground*

Then maybe you'd be better off PLAYING [Bleep]ING STAR WARS, YOU [Bleep]ING PETAQ!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Oh? You dislike the warp and transporter animations, do you?

*slowly tips your desktop table up and sends your set up crashing to the ground*

Then maybe you'd be better off PLAYING [Bleep]ING STAR WARS, YOU [Bleep]ING PETAQ!

LOL, you can watch it as many times as you want. :) Checkbox in settings would be great.
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well, could Captain Picard disable warp animations? Of course not, because the warp drive doesn't work without them ;)
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ourmaster wrote: »
    LOL, you can watch it as many times as you want. :) Checkbox in settings would be great.

Sorry, but Warp and Transporting is kind of Star Trek's "thing". To remove them would make it a generic sci-fi franchise like Blattelestar or Stargate.

And who'd want to play that kind of MMO?

*slowly looks at the camera and smirks*
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sorry, but Warp and Transporting is kind of Star Trek's "thing". To remove them would make it a generic sci-fi franchise like Blattelestar or Stargate.

And who'd want to play that kind of MMO?

*slowly looks at the camera and smirks*

Haha, you do know, if this were a Stargate game, the map transition animation would always be the endless spacetunnel effect from the original movie, instead of a person entering the gate, a cut and same person exiting another gate, right? XD
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    notapwefannotapwefan Member Posts: 1,138 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    you can, kinda..
    start space mission when you are ground, if possible, and vice versa.

For example, if you need to wrap out of NWS immediately (before the transporter is destroyed and you go to CD) then it is better if you start the mission from ground. No warp out animation.
    Grinding for MkIV epic gear?
    Ain't Nobody Got Time for That

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They're brief and generally inoffensive animations that waste a negligible amount of your time. What would be the point of disabling them?

Besides, beaming up and warping out are iconic Trek moments. You can't just disable that!
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jexsamx wrote: »
    They're brief and generally inoffensive animations that waste a negligible amount of your time. What would be the point of disabling them?

Well it isn't negligible amount, if you sum it up. I just want an option for me, to save my time. I don't want force you or anyone else to have it disabled. I don't understand, why I should be forced to have it enabled.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    There is no curse in Klingon, Romulan, or the tongues of the Federation for the stupidity of this request!
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited April 2014
    Wow OP, I guess some people will always find something to complain about...

Turn around and say hi to your wife/kids, grab a drink, go pee...It's 10 seconds. Sheesh.
  • Options
    eagledracoeagledraco Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    *Beams into thread*

*Looks around and laughs!* Good luck with this request, OP - you need it!

*Warps out*
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I guess it would depend on the person for a star wars warp.

A) It could just happen much like the Enterprise E's warping

B) You would start to see the stars stretch and then warp

C) Instead of idling, you would be drifting slowly and then warp

D) You would get a warp ring to help you warp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sell custom Warp/beam animation in lockboxes...

RUNS!!! :D
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    i have to admit some of the comments in this thread have given me a good belly laugh, its certainly needed so thankyou..lol ;)
  • Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    How can I skip or disable warp and teleporter animation?

Alt-F4?

Turn off your monitor?

Uninstall the game?

Hint: Any option that stops these warp and transporter animations will be an option that prevents you playing the game. If it's that bad, maybe this just isn't the game for you.

*disappears in extra-long, lingering transporter animation*
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Honestly, sometimes the warp animation doesnt make any sense at all, specially in some mission zones or other places. I will remove that animation in those cases. But no, there is no any option to remove those animations. And i dont see the point in removing the teleport animation, it only takes 2 seconds and it is a classic star trek thing, that cant be removed lol.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The actual answer is most likely that the devs never dreamed someone would want to turn off those animations, so there is not a way to do so. Adding them in now might break some other code. And honestly these animations probably don't add to your load times anyway, so getting rid of them probably wouldn't save time anyway.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The warp and beam out animations are a deeply seated part of the game. They're part of the map transfer process (though not in all cases, as has been noted). That's why your ship warps out under its own power even when it gets sucked into an anomaly or flies into a wormhole. The devs can't even suppress it as part of the design of a mission, nor can Foundry authors for that matter.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know that at least the NUMBER transition displays are a cosmetic "cover" for loading and probably server generating times, I strongly suspect the warp and transporter displays may play a similar role. If they just "got rid" of them then there might be uneven or varied pauses in the transitions, and then they'd just receive grief about that. At least this way everyone knows what to expect as a standard effect.

Y'know, I'm still amazed at how much the wormhole travel in Stargate looks like the wormhole travel in the movie Contact.
  • Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Thinking of Stargate they would have a hugely long zoning animation, having to dial all those shevrons. How long does that take? Be happy warp and transporting only take seconds.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can completely understand the OP. It would be nice to turn them off, especially since they're extremely inconsistent with those sequences.

Sometimes you don't get warp-in/-out sequences, sometimes they're cut short, sometimes they're completely missing. Lot's of times the animations don't even make sense.

The whole, frequent map-transition part is just a horrible concept. Especially on instances which aren't already open, it does take quite a while and it does add up. Considering some of the answers in this thread, it seems that quite a few people's lives are so empty that they don't care if map transitions and forced animations are talking up hours in the end if you add them up, but at least they should show some consideration for those whose lives aren't.

Unfortunatly we're stuck with it.
  • Options
    tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well it isn't negligible amount, if you sum it up. I just want an option for me, to save my time. I don't want force you or anyone else to have it disabled. I don't understand, why I should be forced to have it enabled.

because, it seems like they tied the transporter/warp effects into the loading screens, as said loading script triggers the change when the animation is finished.
  • Options
    deadhorse1deadhorse1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It should be an option to disable if one chose to, it's extremely annoying and a large waste of time. Right up there with dialog pop ups that take up the whole screen, and the new mission tracker on the hud that is more annoying then helpful.

I am sure it was cool to watch for awhile, but after the nth time off watching my Toons skirt beam in 10 seconds after my toon I think I will be just fine without it.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    what's wrong with some people first they want to get rid of fun disco balls and party poppers now they want to get rid of warp effects and teleporter animation, what's next to go sector space and ground zones, heck have done with it do away with all graphics and were all go back to text adventuring.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    More recent additions to the game have shown that at least some warp-/beam-out animations are indeed optional.
    Get yourself the transwarp-option to the Defera system (tier 1 Omega reputation). Transwarp to your factions home system, then transwarp to the Defera system. The first had this fancy animation before going into the loading screen, the second goes right to the loading screen without fancy animations.
    If it can be removed there, it should be removable elsewhere. Ideally, it should be an option for the player to choose whether the want to play their LoadingScreens Online with more immersion (warp out animations) or shorter map transition times.
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    what's wrong with some people first they want to get rid of fun disco balls and party poppers now they want to get rid of warp effects and teleporter animation, what's next to go sector space and ground zones, heck have done with it do away with all graphics and were all go back to text adventuring.

Honestly i agree to remove those stupid non star trek things like disco balls and party watever. I hate em. They are just, stupid and in a game like the sims, the will be great, but not in a game like STO.

About teleporter and warp animations, they are needed, since they are a part of star trek. But the problem is, those animations are applied in every situation, and some situations doesnt require the ship to warp or the toons to teleport. In those cases i strongly agree to remove those effects. They are senseless.
  • Options
    lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since it's such an iconic part of every Star Trek episode and movie I would imagine it never occurred to the Devs that anyone WOULD want to disable it. To be honest yours is the first complaint I've ever seen regarding those animations. So likely we won't ever see that option. :P... having said that I will agree that options should exist in ANY program where ever possible... but then I'm kinda "old fashioned" that way :rolleyes:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    TL;DL: You can't. :P
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Except if you have it disabled, then other people around you will see you/your ship just suddenly disappear without the animation. And a certain subset of people are going to find that annoying/immersion breaking.

You could have the animation play just for them then, but then that means even though you don't see the animation, there has to be a delay on you going to the next map, so even though you skip the animation, it won't actually save you time. And if they tried to make it so that they see the animation, but you're actually already on the next map...well, I don't think the engine was made to handle you being on a different map while still animating you/your ship on another. And what happens if you were to beam up and down real quickly, repeatedly? Would you see yourself beaming out?
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tangolight wrote: »
    Except if you have it disabled, then other people around you will see you/your ship just suddenly disappear without the animation. And a certain subset of people are going to find that annoying/immersion breaking.
    Ships already vanish without animation when you beam down or use that straight-to-loading-screen transwarp, don't they?
    tangolight wrote: »
    You could have the animation play just for them then, but then that means even though you don't see the animation, there has to be a delay on you going to the next map, so even though you skip the animation, it won't actually save you time. And if they tried to make it so that they see the animation, but you're actually already on the next map...well, I don't think the engine was made to handle you being on a different map while still animating you/your ship on another. And what happens if you were to beam up and down real quickly, repeatedly? Would you see yourself beaming out?
    How would there be a problem? The server does not need to enforce a universal present/now with such precision in this case.

Clients which are loaded into the map prior to your leaving can render the warp-out animation, since they have all the necessary data about the ship. It's ignoring collision already, isn't it? And clients which load into the map after you triggered your map-transition would not receive any info on your ship, thus not even begin to render it.