test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is Cryptic already doing away with Bonus Dilithium/Marks Weekends?

spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
Last weekend Mar 22/23rd we had the foundry weekend

2 weeks before that Mar 8/9th we had bonus expertise

2 weeks before that Fed 22/23rd we had the Bonus marks

2 weeks before that Feb 8/9 we had the bonus Dilithium weekend

Next weekend Apr 12/13th we Have Bonus Shuttle weekend(next weekend is the first contact event)

1 weeks after that Apr 19/20th we have Bonus Expertise again

So the next possible Bonus Dilithium/Marks weekend is MAY!!!

And that is ALL that is on the calender - so we will only get a bonus dilithium/marks weekend every 3 months?? Yes that right - beginning of Feb to earliest beginning of May is 3 months!!!

Sure does not seem like the removal 3 hour daily bonus that happened every 4 hours is being compensated for at all if we have to wait several months between events.

As of now I have given up the rep system and grinding fleet marks for the starbase - it's just not worth my time any more.

What is up with this screwed up bonus weekend changes?? It certainly has proven not to be an improvement over the daily system. Where are all the cheerleaders that were supporting this change to the weekend thing?
Post edited by spacebaronline on

Comments

• johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    1 weeks after that Apr 19/20th we have Bonus Expertise again

So the next possible Bonus Dilithium/Marks weekend is MAY!!!

You're forgetting that between the Bonus Expertise weekend and the beginning of May, S9 is slated for release. Would you like a Bonus Marks weekend now, or in early May when you have a brand new Rep to complete, when such a weekend event would be much more beneficial.

That being said, these Weekend Events are not nearly as popular as Cryptic had hoped they would be, based on forum reactions. Of course, the forum is irrelevant and only the metrics matter, so what do I know.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We're right in the middle of a 50k dilithium event, not to mention all the other marks you get for doing mi.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    We're right in the middle of a 50k dilithium event, not to mention all the other marks you get for doing mi.

So what?

Put the weekends on a predictable schedule and have done.

Or, until they do so, people will just assume cryptic don't want to live up to what they said when they took the hourlies away.

Trust is earned, not given to cryptic as a right.
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    So what?

Put the weekends on a predictable schedule and have done.

Or, until they do so, people will just assume cryptic don't want to live up to what they said when they took the hourlies away.

Trust is earned, not given to cryptic as a right.

Yeah, on that particular subject, trust is neither given nor earned... It's lost.
    I was willing to give them the benefit if a doubt when this was announced, since I didn't think the hourly event were handled optimal.
    But this is not handling it better or optimal, it's not handling it at all...
  • spacebaronlinespacebaronline Member Posts: 1,103 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    You're forgetting that between the Bonus Expertise weekend and the beginning of May, S9 is slated for release. Would you like a Bonus Marks weekend now, or in early May when you have a brand new Rep to complete, when such a weekend event would be much more beneficial.

That being said, these Weekend Events are not nearly as popular as Cryptic had hoped they would be, based on forum reactions. Of course, the forum is irrelevant and only the metrics matter, so what do I know.

After the 2nd!! bonus expertise weekend - there is only 1 weekend left in April - so it could be May if they do it every other weekend - if at all.

There is no way 1 bonus mark weekend every 3 months can make up for the 4 times a day - 3 hour bonus time.
    edited March 2014
    There is no way 1 bonus mark weekend every 3 months can make up for the 4 times a day - 3 hour bonus time.

Congratulations, you've just hit the nail on the head. To put it bluntly; That's the point.

Removing the hourlies was part of D'Angelo's attempt to slow down how quickly people complete the Reputations. Same goes for the removal of Commendations rather than applying them to the rest of the Reputations.
    edited March 2014
    stf65 wrote: »

So what you are saying is that if we want extra marks we are forced to do a daily grind for 14 days - of only 1 mission - one piece of content - not encouraging:(
    edited March 2014
    Congratulations, you've just hit the nail on the head. To put it bluntly; That's the point.

Removing the hourlies was part of D'Angelo's attempt to slow down how quickly people complete the Reputations. Same goes for the removal of Commendations rather than applying them to the rest of the Reputations.

Ok and what about those of us in small to medium fleets that are starving for Fleet marks?
  • revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

That's kind if the problem with d'angelo. My grandmother had more talent in game design then him.
    She never touched a computer in her life. If only d'angelo had followed that example...
    edited March 2014
    Ok and what about those of us in small to medium fleets that are starving for Fleet marks?

Same thinking applies. They're slowing all fleets down to lengthen how long it takes to complete a Starbase, hence keeping people playing for longer.
    edited March 2014
    So what you are saying is that if we want extra marks we are forced to do a daily grind for 14 days - of only 1 mission - one piece of content - not encouraging:(
    No. There's dozens of different missions that pay out marks. I'm telling you to go and do them rather then pleading for bonus events.
    edited March 2014
    Same thinking applies. They're slowing all fleets down to lengthen how long it takes to complete a Starbase, hence keeping people playing for longer.

Ah, so the bigger fleets completed too quickly, thus we must penalise the small fleets that haven't got there yet.

Genius.

They really seem to have the knack of choosing the least sensible, the least fair solution to every challenge.
    edited March 2014
    They really seem to have the knack of choosing the least sensible, the least fair solution to every challenge.

If you actually look at their decisions and assume each one was made with the intention to increase potential profits, it makes sense.

Not that that's a good thing.
    edited March 2014
    If you actually look at their decisions and assume each one was made with the intention to increase potential profits, it makes sense.

Thing is, I think they're getting that wrong too, in anything except the shortest of terms.

I stopped buying zen after the grindaversary.

Maybe I was the only one, maybe not.

But each unpopular decision makes someone else make the same choice as me.

At some point, they'll run out of new players to dazzle....then wonder why the vets aren't opening their wallets anymore.
    edited March 2014

It could just be a lull in-between seasons - but both my friends list and fleet sign in shows people have left in droves - or are barely on any more since some of these changes have taken place. Or they could just be trying to get away from me:eek::P
    edited March 2014
    Thing is, I think they're getting that wrong too, in anything except the shortest of terms.

I stopped buying zen after the grindaversary.

Maybe I was the only one, maybe not.

But each unpopular decision makes someone else make the same choice as me.

At some point, they'll run out of new players to dazzle....then wonder why the vets aren't opening their wallets anymore.

You weren't alone. I stopped buying Zen after they announced the Grindiversary. I'm just getting by on my LTS handouts now.
    It could just be a lull in-between seasons - but both my friends list and fleet sign in shows people have left in droves - or are barely on any more since some of these changes have taken place. Or they could just be trying to get away from me:eek::P

It's probably just the lull. They'll get some players back with S9, and then later in the year there'll be another lull, followed by a big influx of players wanting to try the new expansion.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They never said they'd do the mark event or the dil event every month, or even every other month. That would be nice. They'll probably happen again.

If they were on the calendar, people would probably hold off on claiming the MI event reward, which Cryptic probably doesn't want us to do. So we likely have to wait a couple of months.
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited March 2014

glad someone finally said it.
    edited March 2014
    vhiranikos wrote: »
    glad someone finally said it.
    D'Angelo said it himself in the interview a couple of months ago. People are rep progressing too fast and they're going to slow things down. The dyson rep was a failure from their standpoint.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't mean to be rude , but shouldn't you lot be busy arguing about a "free" Anniversary ship , or just relaxing and taking the "wait and see" attitude ?

Remember ... Cryptic Loves You ... .
  • psiversepsiverse Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You speak of them taking away rep but they also are making the rep rewards less with their season 9.
    If you destroy your fleet by taking your ball and going home, why should the next group of people trust you will lead the fleet properly? Things that make you go hmmmm.
    edited March 2014
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be rude , but shouldn't you lot be busy arguing about a "free" Anniversary ship , or just relaxing and taking the "wait and see" attitude ?

Remember ... Cryptic Loves You ... .

There were a lot of weekend warriors that were under the false/mislead/misguided belief that cryptic would be running the bonus marks weekend - every weekend. I had several fleet mates and friends that thought that. Now they almost never log on and don't contribute anything to the fleet progression - which has virtually ground to a halt.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't want like four bonus dilithium or marks weekends per year. That's about what it works out to right now.

Four weekends per year vs at least an hour every day, some of those hours I'll be around for and some I won't. Yeah I'll take the chance at an hourly event thank you.
    edited March 2014
    I don't want like four bonus dilithium or marks weekends per year. That's about what it works out to right now.

Four weekends per year vs at least an hour every day, some of those hours I'll be around for and some I won't. Yeah I'll take the chance at an hourly event thank you.

Lead Content Designer Charles Gray(dev blog S8 #41) feels they are giving us back just as much as they are taking away - if fact he believe the net result should be a "larger return for players"!!!:

"To compensate for the increased rewards, we will be running these events less frequently. Instead of having a new event run every hour, we will be running events for several days centering around a weekend. While the events will be less frequent, the larger rewards, along with the extended time they’ll be active, should net larger returns for all players."

He believes that a 4 day event - 4 times a year at 50% more marks = the same as four or five- 3 hour long events every day.

So before in a 24 hour period we were getting minimum of 12 hours of bonus marks time @ approx. 25% bonus

so that would = 12x356 = 4272 bonus hours per year x 25% marks

Now approx. 90 hours(the weekend) x 4 = 360 hours per year x 50% marks

so that equals about the same as 540 hours under the old system or about 1/8th as much marks as before.

So what I don't understand - even if every player was a weekend only player they still would be getting LESS rewards per year.

I just don't see how this change should "net larger returns for all players"
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Grind, baby. Grind.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    dark4blood wrote: »
    these developers are too lazy to make weekend rewards consistently worthwhile.

I disagree. I think they realized they put in too many DIL rewards and saw people trading it for Zen. Zen is supposed to cost money, so they nerfed EVERYTHING related to acquiring Zen.

Remember: when they lose money, we pay. In this case, we lose perks (like gated 1-hour DIL events). They don't make the instant profits they feel entitled to with the Star Trek IP, we get to grind the Trek universe into oblivion. And let's face it -- this game only has a Star Trek skin. I gave up on in-game canon a long time ago. More proof that profits are proirity.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I am one of the few weekday players. The elimination of the hourly bonuses has hit me hard. They need to bring back the hourlies in some form, be it some NPC you contact and get a one hour boost to marks or dilithium.
  • gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Okay, as someone in a large fleet, that has to set his cell phone alarm, if he wants to be able to invest my fleet marks in anything, I really have to ask: If Fleet marks are already a problem...how do you get the rest of the resources?
  • amberdzamberdz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014

I just don't see how this change should "net larger returns for all players"

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....you weren't supposed to be able to do the math!

Seriously though, the reason they do this is because they think we are stupid and will just blindly believe their every word.

They are taking the commendations away and my guess is the project will now require marks, EC and XP, but I am sure they will be trying to get us to believe this is easier.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am NOT willing to work my rear off for a new reputation that they will just come back and nerf the traits on or just completely take them away. I worked on 13 toons..got them all the current reps to T5. I wanted different things, like the added knock back on ground with melee weapons. What did they do? They nerfed it.

You worked your butt off for the Omega rep?? Have you read that they are planning on taking away the rotating weapons frequency?

While I am complaining..this lovely Mirror Event..I could have spent my time doing Defera and Dyson and come away with a lot more Fleet marks and dilithium and a lot less irritation. This event has been a total waste of my time and patience.
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    amberdz wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....you weren't supposed to be able to do the math!

Seriously though, the reason they do this is because they think we are stupid and will just blindly believe their every word.

Are they wrong?

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=16048901#post16048901