test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proposal to systems guys: give functionality to ESD drydocks for new update

nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Federation Discussion
tacofangs wrote: »
This is a question for the systems guys - Borticus, Geko, AdjudicatorHawk.
It'd be easy enough to set up, but it's their call on whether or not they want to allow it.

This idea was mentioned in the ESD revamp feedback thread. Tacofangs clarified that it would be possible, but that it would be a call for you the systems team, whether or not it should be added in this update.

Proposal:
  • Would it be game-breaking to allow players ships to repair their injuries for free if in close proximity of any drydock surrounding the revamped Earth Space Dock (revised space map).
  • This would present an alternative to docking with the station/beaming down and heading to the Engineering officer to repair for free.
  • It would provide greater immersion for (some) people while also being useful for all people who play on advanced/elite difficulties
  • Collision should be disabled and the activation range should be limited so as to encourage players to attempt a 'docking' with the structures.
  • Ideally, (although not required) some measure of animator time could be sought to create an animation of your ship automatically fitting inside the drydock. Akin to how we automatically sit in some chairs. Due to the scaling issues with some drydocks vs the height of ships, perhaps only certain classes of ship can use certain types of dock. <System Message> This drydock facility is ill-equipped to service that class of starship Captain...
  • I think that would be a good practical use for these structures, and given we are currently seeing a revamp to ESD and the space map, it is an opportune time to tweak this.

Thanks for reading.

Another cool suggestion raised on this topic:
captaind3 wrote: »
Agreed completely. Maybe you could even do a few Work Bees flying around your ship while the interact is working showing them repairing you for a few seconds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Seriously...

Don't bet on it. What you're asking isn't just adding a piece to the map. It would require completely reworking it (think like when we got the birds and they only flew on Risa).

They're NOT going to put that much effort into this game.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That might be true if the proposal needed to have custom animations and things, but we already have confirmation that it would be an 'easy' setup to add the pure functionality, essentially treating the drydock as an npc offering the service.

All the environment artists require is the say so from the systems team now. A Yes or a No. :rolleyes: I think a lot of people would benefit from this without having to complicate it with loads of layers of polish.
  • Options
    rock3tmanrock3tman Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I like this idea, this game seriously needs more attention to detail....seriously
    1FHdQdl.jpg
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it's a cool idea, and I like it. However, and I don't intend any offense, I don't think it's as realistic as it could be.

I too would love to see the dry-docks have the same functionality as the NPC in ESD that repairs your ship's accumulated injuries. I feel that's a point you could probably lobby and have considered seriously, maybe even achieved if the devs feel generous.

Adding in an animation is probably asking a bit much. Personally, I would like that, but that's some serious resource and time investment for them that would see no return.

EDIT: I just saw your work bees idea. That could easily be accomplished cosmetically, just using the already in game pets from the oddy. Just have a few, or the shield repair unit hangar pets, or some npc CMUs or whatever and just have them tied to the position of a particular dry dock, so it seems like they're always patrolling around it or whatnot. They wouldn't have to do anything, just be there. Players could just headcannon they were what was repairing the ship as you clicked the little "repair" interact button. I'd be happy enough with that.
  • Options
    bltrrnbltrrn Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nynik wrote: »
    That might be true if the proposal needed to have custom animations and things, but we already have confirmation that it would be an 'easy' setup to add the pure functionality, essentially treating the drydock as an npc offering the service.

All the environment artists require is the say so from the systems team now. A Yes or a No. :rolleyes: I think a lot of people would benefit from this without having to complicate it with loads of layers of polish.
    I think it's a cool idea, and I like it. However, and I don't intend any offense, I don't think it's as realistic as it could be.

I too would love to see the dry-docks have the same functionality as the NPC in ESD that repairs your ship's accumulated injuries. I feel that's a point you could probably lobby and have considered seriously, maybe even achieved if the devs feel generous.

Adding in an animation is probably asking a bit much. Personally, I would like that, but that's some serious resource and time investment for them that would see no return.

EDIT: I just saw your work bees idea. That could easily be accomplished cosmetically, just using the already in game pets from the oddy. Just have a few, or the shield repair unit hangar pets, or some npc CMUs or whatever and just have them tied to the position of a particular dry dock, so it seems like they're always patrolling around it or whatnot. They wouldn't have to do anything, just be there. Players could just headcannon they were what was repairing the ship as you clicked the little "repair" interact button. I'd be happy enough with that.

I would second both of these, especially if the "System Guys" believe that it is possible to do.
    R E M A I N

Tal'Shiar/Reman Resistance/Romulan Nemesis uniform, pls.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7403/13262502435_5604548f2c_o.png
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    rock3tman wrote: »
    I like this idea, this game seriously needs more attention to detail....seriously

Agreed, we have by far not enough details. The new ESD is a start the drydocks would be nice, maybe even a chance to include Mars and Utopia Planitia. When you get a new ship you get to a Shuttkebay on ESD and from there fly to Utopia Planitia. There you can fly your shuttle to the drydock and get a chance to fly it out of the dock togehther with a sequence like the first Star trek Movie
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This, I like this.