What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 9 Dev Blog #4: Undine Art Revamp

1235»

Comments

• shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    In other words, it's difficult to break yourself out of the CoH/CO mentality of big = more powerful. This is Star Trek, not a comic book video game. Rank and lethality are rarely (if ever) determined by size in Star Trek. Look at the Defiant. :D

Attire and armor is a good step into thinking outside of your artistic box. But 10 foot tall Breen, Undine, and Borg is comical, not threatening. Captain Kirk was not built like Lou Ferrigno (as much as he pretends he was), and Picard was not built like Kareem Abdul-Jabar.

Again, Cryptic's influence of creating comic book video games is seen in STO. A "mini-planet killer" wrist weapon is something I'd expect to see on Lord Recluse's gauntlet or the Prussian Prince of Automatons arsenal of lethality. Not in Star Trek.

I understand the fanboy charm of making a hand-held version of the planet killer weapon, but when you have a rarely-seen species such as the Undine, with such a unique and original concept from fluidic space, you had any number of avenues to go in for a 'boss weapon'. But the fact you resorted to this really tells me you need to broaden your horizons and think outside the box more. This is a unique alien species unlike any we've seen before. They have so much potential for more than just 'another alien with a doomsday weapon'.

This is a good idea, and does bring the uniqueness of the undine back into some perspective. It also will make the Romulan Plasma weapons much more desirable.

Wrong. Very wrong. Fluidic space is not like the ocean. You're trying to superimpose Earth's ocean into fluidic space.

If fluidic space can not crush our ships, then there is no pressure gradient. Fluidic space would behave much like our own universe -- it is expanding outwards. If it is expanding outwards, there is no pressure to 'suck' you in.

I understand you are artists, and game designers, not scientists. So let me put it this way.

The only reason our oceans have pressure is because the gravity of earth pulls those oceans downwards towards the center of it. This effect is multiplied the deeper you go. Thus pressure.

There is no gravity in fluidic space. There is no 'up' or 'down' in which pressure from fluidic space could originate. Call it something else, but don't call it a pressure gradient.

Also, if there was fluidic space that would leak into our space, more than likely it would freeze instantly, or it would boil off into vapor instantly as its molecular structure would be pulled apart in the vacuum of our own space.

I'm inclined to agree with everything said in this post. Some very good points made here.
    xiaoping88 wrote: »

Adun Toridas!
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yep - 'can't wait' for the announcement of the most ridiculous lockbox that this game has ever known.

Ain't that the truth? I'd however use 'desperate' instead of 'ridiculous' myself, but that's just me.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Yep - 'can't wait' for the announcement of the most ridiculous lockbox that this game has ever known.

more ridiculous then dinosaurs with freaking lasers of their heads?!!
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why are so many people raging against an Undine box anyway? :confused:
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Why are so many people raging against an Undine box anyway? :confused:

Because they have to worry about what other players fly instead of worrying about themselves, apparently if they don't buy the ship, but someone else does that ruins the game for them. :confused:
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited March 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Because they have to worry about what other players fly instead of worrying about themselves, apparently if they don't buy the ship, but someone else does that ruins the game for them. :confused:

^This

I have opened boxes for the Lobi and the Ships, until I bought the ships I really wanted from the Exchange and opened the boxes only for the Lobi and the other items. I used them on my chars or sold them.

Never had a problem with the content of the boxes
    edited March 2014
    Well, it is a video game and not real. So there will be bends and breaks to the game mechanic that will make Janeway's Prime Directive twists and turns looking pale
  • v0thv0th Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Organic armor that still shows technology, and a planet killer as a "boss"... I'm getting a sense of d
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Nah, the differences are too many for that to be true.

Vorlon ship
    4 way symmetry, butterfly wings

Undine ship
    3 way symmetry, fins.

also, well.... all the small details are radically different.

I'm talking on the wireframe level. Look closer. Remember, there are SEVERAL Vorlon models. (The skinning textures are quite similar...)

Also, the 8472 sentient is was a modification of the Shadow sentient, mostly the torso and head. Same designer for both, same company. He admitted as much in an interview but subsequently recanted.
  • rexyfrexyf Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If you don't like other people flying Undine ships (or any cross faction ship for that matter) just tell yourself that they're actually flying a faction ship and using a holo-disguise from the GPL store.
  • tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think I'll be spending a bit more time in Fluidic Space after the Season 9 updates. :)

Superb sensibilities, Cryptic. The Undine needed work. I'm looking forward to the actual game play and seeing the design revamp first-hand.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is fludic space itself going to get a rework? In the old Undine front missions it looked no different than a green nebula. I hope it'll look more liquidy.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm talking on the wireframe level. Look closer. Remember, there are SEVERAL Vorlon models. (The skinning textures are quite similar...)

Also, the 8472 sentient is was a modification of the Shadow sentient, mostly the torso and head. Same designer for both, same company. He admitted as much in an interview but subsequently recanted.
    Oh I know there's several Vorlon designs, but none of them has 3-way symmetry. Which most Undine ships do(the only exception to this is an Undine design with 8-way symmetry, which Vorlons never used).

As for textures.... Undine ships have better textures than anything the Vorlons ever used. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • atlantraatlantra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I know I'm not only excited about "Vorlon" lock boxes and reputation... Can't wait to battle the "eclipse planet killer." As a huge Babylon 5 fan, I love anything Undine... Heck I love Breen too because of the star wars helmet those guys wear... It's funny see something from star wars in star trek. Now we're gonna have some Babylon 5! STO is awesome.
    The dress is gold and white. Over 70% people says so. When viewed from a certain screen angle it appears blue and black. The dress displayed on amazon is a blue and black dress, but it's not the same dress in the picture. If you're seeing blue & black you're slightly colored blind. A normal upright screen = white and gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    They mentioned removing the shields from the Undine ground forces, but what about in space? It be pretty neat if the ships acted like their ground forces, and were just really damage resistant instead of relying on energy shields to protect themselves.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    They mentioned removing the shields from the Undine ground forces, but what about in space? It be pretty neat if the ships acted like their ground forces, and were just really damage resistant instead of relying on energy shields to protect themselves.

^ This./10chars
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • cobra5000cobra5000 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Character Artist Joe Jing and Systems Designer Jeff "AdjudicatorHawk" Hamilton share a sneak peak of the Undine's updated look! Check out their new armor, ship designs, and more in this entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy

why do Undine ships get art updates while there are Z-store ships with model errors?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242255137

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=242255118
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We generally cleaned up the group; they had a lot of VFX noise and redundant powers, we also simplified them a lot, removing claw swipes and attacks whose areas of effect were not clear, while improving the visual language of all that remained.

Does the Undine still have/do toxic damage and will the Fluidic Space Tribble still be the best tribble against the undine? Will the Fluidic Space Tribble be revamped to match the undine revamp?