test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Forced Respec?

sophus84atsophus84at Member Posts: 404 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
After todays patch and the i have to verify my files again stuff i logged onto my main toon and when seeing the Rep powers where offline it told me i had to respec otherwise i cannot view the rep powers... problem it doesnt work as the usual respec. where you have your skillset and can choose different points but you see the skillset you had before and just can add a few or delete a few.

no, it totally wipes your skills and you have an empty skilltree... great work cryptic.
now after i used varous re-specs in the past years to find the perfect set-up which works for me ... all points are deleted and f course i havent written them down as normally every re-spec lets you see your until now skilltree.

really great.. im way beyond than pissed and may have to spend another 1 or 2 re-specs now to find my old skilltree....

was this in the patch files??? i cant remember reading a mandatory re-spec is to come??? and why did ihave to re-spec anyways when i already maxed out all rep powers t T5 and were visible before the patch??
"Mei Borg is net deppat".....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by sophus84at on

Comments

• Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I logged in 2 characters without this happening. I didn't need to do a forced verify either. Seems like something went boom on your end.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    just happened after the force verify thing so could also be with that. yesterday all went well.
    today after the patch it wouldnt let me start. made a force verify and canceld on demand patching, all my maxed out toons now have to respec. :( only the ones who didnt hit T5 in rep yet didnt have to

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I had the forced respec a few weeks ago... Got it on two toons... Appreciated it on one, and on the other, had just paid for one a few weeks before, so that sucked... Haven't checked today...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This is an ongoing "issue". I am sure it is annoying to some, others get a freebie which can be good for them. But about once a month or so someone in my fleet will get hit with this bug. Been that way for almost 6 months?
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    thank god im not the only one.. thought i would go mad if this just happaned here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Actually, i had this happen a week or so back to one of my toons.

He had just hit 50, i was filling up the skill tree, and bam.

Most odd.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd be rather happy to have a free respec. Now that I've found a ship build that works for me, I need to work on setting up my skills to maximize its effectiveness.
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After this update i see a message that i needed to respec my skills as they were not good. I have been flying and starting to love my new fleet X. So i did a respect for this ship as it will be my main ship ingame. And now its seems to work even better. Is this something new in the game? I don't remember ever seeing it before. It wasn't a popup. It was there on the bottom of my skills tab.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just logged in with my main and didn't have to respec at all.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited March 2014
    you are mislead, im not complaining about the 2free" respec itself i am complaining about the fact that its not as the usual respecs are. normally when you hit respec your current skilltree stays and you can add or delete single points from the list with the arrows but in this case it deleted my whole skilltree everything empty so i have to try and error the full friggin built again. which cost me 5 respecs in the first place.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    This sort of forced respec happens when there's been some kind of data corruption affect your character, so we give you a free respec and wipe the corrupted data. That's why it's different than the standard respec, as I understand it.

I understand your frustration in having to rebuild a complex build, but the alternative would be for your character to become broken and unplayable.

It's an unfortunate side effect of the complexity of STO characters.
    STO QA Team
  • Options
    minmacdougalminmacdougal Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I've had this happen before. I just take it in stride as a chance to try something different with a build I've been meaning to do.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ive had this happen before too, about a month ago one of my 8 characters got hit with it. I was happy I didnt have to spend one of my respecs on him to get it so meeehh
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    generalmocogeneralmoco Member Posts: 1,634
    edited March 2014
    This sort of forced respec happens when there's been some kind of data corruption affect your character, so we give you a free respec and wipe the corrupted data. That's why it's different than the standard respec, as I understand it.

I understand your frustration in having to rebuild a complex build, but the alternative would be for your character to become broken and unplayable.

Psssst Frosty!!! Psssst Can you break my character files.. I don't want to pay for another Respec!!! LOL J'k j'k >.<
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Happened to me 3 times , last one 3 days ago. With 3 different toons. I would say, once or two in a week..:mad:
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That explains why myself, and a lot of my friends were getting a forced respec on all of our characters when they hit level 50. It stopped after season 8 arrived. We all thought that you get one free respec at level 50.

It wasn't till after season 8 that we were wondering if there was something wrong, or if they gave one free respec at level 50. Sadly, we now know that is not true. I hope when I sign in, my Klingon has one.

I was expecting one, so I did this build like all of my others. I had skills that helped at lower levels, but are useless at higher levels, like Driver Coil.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    edited March 2014

thanks for the answer. :)
    that would explain why it happened after the force verify.

can be closed,:)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yesterday or the day before I noticed that I had to respec my Romulan's skills and rep powers. Not sure how long they were unassigned before I noticed. :confused:

Hmm, the thought that I should check my other toons just popped into my brain.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    razar2380 wrote: »
    That explains why myself, and a lot of my friends were getting a forced respec on all of our characters when they hit level 50. It stopped after season 8 arrived. We all thought that you get one free respec at level 50.

It wasn't till after season 8 that we were wondering if there was something wrong, or if they gave one free respec at level 50. Sadly, we now know that is not true. I hope when I sign in, my Klingon has one.

I was expecting one, so I did this build like all of my others. I had skills that helped at lower levels, but are useless at higher levels, like Driver Coil.

You hit L50 or L30 or L40 etc... while you were in a zone that had your level adjusted.

You probably were in one of those Borg Space Alerts... that will force your level to be 45ish or so... but if you hit L50 during that encounter, system will think your skills are invalid and wham, free repec.