test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Admiralty/Generalship - The Shipyard

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User

Previously, I talked about what could happen if we get promoted to full admiral and can promote our Bridge Officers up to Vice Admiral and how their new home would be the office or our Admiral character. I also talked about the ability to promote a commander BOFF to captain and make him an alt for the purpose of training a pool of officers to be committed to the Admiral's officer pool for Strategic Command Operations (SCO).

This is the first post detailing an aspect of SCO: The Shipyard.

The Shipyard is a SCO "card" that requires a massive amount of resources to construct. It can be constructed at any poi on a sector space map. So if I click on Vulcan and order construction of a shipyard there, then after five to ten successful diplomatic negotiation Duty Officer assignments to the Vulcan High Command, permission to construct the shipyard there would be obtained.

As the materials and equipment needed to construct the shipyard are obtained and sent there via Federation transports (time delayed resource transfer that takes about as long as it would take to travel from Earth to Vulcan at a given speed, as an Admiral we can monitor the progress of construction, and can begin obtaining the Engineering and Operations Duty Officers that will be needed to man the facility. A Bridge Officer At Commander level can be assigned as the facility's commander.

Once completely staffed, the shipyard becomes operational, and SCO Starship Resources can be produced there. Of course, they will need materials, equipment and personnel, including a BOFF at the appropriate rank for commanding the commissioned ship class.

Once completed, equipped and manned, the ships can be deployed to any point of interest on a sector space map. For example, if I want to deploy a Galaxy-X class SCO ship to Risa, it will go there, taking as much time to do so as it would take a real Galaxy-X to go from Vulcan to Risa in a time delayed resource transfer *. When deploying a ship to a location, the nature of its mission is designated. In this case, as an Admiral, I have received intelligence from a contact within the Orion Syndicate that Risa will be attacked by Orion pirates in an effort to grab innocent civilians and sell them into the slave trade. So that newly constructed Galaxy-X at my Vulcan Shipyard is being deployed there with orders to defend the planet. As long as that Galaxy-X is in place before the orions arrive, everything will be fine... However, if I didn't have the ship there in time, then the Orions attack the planet. If the ship still has not arrived at the end of the raid, the orions leave the system and begin their trip to wherever they will be selling their new "goods". my Admiral might receive intelligence indicating where the trade is supposed to take place. If I have the means to raid that location before the Orions' customers can make off with them, then they can be saved and transported to the nearest Federation safe world to go about their lives.

So where did that Orion renegade ship come from? From a player whose General happens to be an Orion and he decided to send one of HIS SCO Orion ships on a mission to kidnap civilians and take them to X to await purchase. And incidentally, he could be employing countermeasures such as deploying more Orion ships to X with a directive to eliminate any Federation ship that enters the system. In which case when I am sending ships to rescue the civilians, my orders would be to Jam the communications of any Orion ships that are in the system and try to fight past them.

Battles in the SCO system would work similar to a DOFF assignment with a risk of casualties. Depending on the ships involved in the fight, a ship could come through unscathed, be damaged, disabled or destroyed.

* It should be noted that time delay transfer would use the same sort of mechanic that duty officer assignments use to track their time to completion.
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone