test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A T-Rex?

kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
I guess I am a little late to the party on this one, but I was fighting in the Dyson battlezone and a frickin T-Rex with lasers showed up. WTF is this??? Is this something that happened in one of the shows, or was somebody at Cryptic high as hell when they made the decision to put this in?

What an amazing way to shatter immersion. I was hoping for it to end and be a lame "it was all a dream" sequence.

WTF dude?
Post edited by kolbrandr on

Comments

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited March 2014
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Woo, Trek stuff isn't trek! I love STO player logic!!! It really breaks immersion!
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Voth are evolved dinosaurs. They have a genetic record of all dinosaur species, so they use carnivorous dinosaurs in war the way we strap machine guns onto bears and lions and send them into battle.

At least that's what Al Rivera's justification was.
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There are no T-rexes. there are V-Rexes, and some smaller ones - furions, or whatever. If it "showed up" on you, it wasn't the -Rex. Anyway, it doesn't matter, they are there for you to kill. Fire and forget.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, this is nowhere NEAR as crazy as some of the things in Trek....or will i need to point out that the NX-01 was piloted by a hobo found living in a garbage bin and was given the job of being humanities diplomat.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I was initially "wtf?" But then I thought, this is star trek, we have so many different species going on now, who's to say sticking a frickin lazerbeam on a dinosaurs head is beyond the realms of possibility.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • contrast13contrast13 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi, dudes. Initially I thought that the devs want my money (completely OK, for the job one should be paid). But after I had found out that they do not wnat to log me into game by announcing "Incorrect password/username" (which is 100% correct, I checked it milion times), I must change my mind. The game actulally does not work. They simply do not want me to connect. F..k them up. This way they gonna end up like beggars. Which is exactly what they deserve!!!
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited March 2014
    It was some sort of zone boss.

I guess I skipped over some dialogue which made this all make sense? I don't recall ever seeing the dinosaur episode of Trek, so that is why I asked.
    edited March 2014
    kolbrandr wrote: »

I guess I skipped over some dialogue which made this all make sense? I don't recall ever seeing the dinosaur episode of Trek, so that is why I asked.

Nah, it doesn't make sense. It just...
    ..just shoot it!
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2014

it's there because the lead designer said "I want dinosaurs with frickin' laserbeams on their head!"
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Well, whatever.

I felt like a boss brawling it with my bat'leth though.
    edited March 2014
    Well, whatever.

Did you win?
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, whatever.

See there ya go, now you're getting into it. You got to fight a T-Rex with a bat'leth and ended up feeling like a boss. That can't be a bad thing, can it?
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    timelord79 wrote: »
    it's there because the lead designer said "I want dinosaurs with frickin' laserbeams on their head!"

Pretty much this. Cryptic has shown that they really don't need a good reason to do what they do. They want cyborg dinosaurs? you have cyborg dinosaurs. They want to make the Breen into a bunch of walking Mr Freeze puns? Tada, Breen are the ice-themed faction. They want Saccharine goody-two-shoes Romulans? they're now the Rebel Alliance. Etc etc.
    edited March 2014
    Did you win?

Nah, I basically just got thrown around and mooched off the dps of the other players that happened to be there. :)
    edited March 2014
    Nah, I basically just got thrown around and mooched off the dps of the other players that happened to be there. :)

Good. :P
    Don't take this the wrong way, but if you had won, I'd delete my chars. Because I have a great difficulty nailing those TRIBBLE using beam weapons, let alone swords :P
    They are nasty.

EDIT: You haven't seen a V-rex, then?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    contrast13 wrote: »
    Hi, dudes. Initially I thought that the devs want my money (completely OK, for the job one should be paid). But after I had found out that they do not wnat to log me into game by announcing "Incorrect password/username" (which is 100% correct, I checked it milion times), I must change my mind. The game actulally does not work. They simply do not want me to connect. F..k them up. This way they gonna end up like beggars. Which is exactly what they deserve!!!

"Stay on target!" - Davish Krail, Gold Five
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Honestly, this is nowhere NEAR as crazy as some of the things in Trek....or will i need to point out that the NX-01 was piloted by a hobo found living in a garbage bin and was given the job of being humanities diplomat.

Um... wut? Are you talking about Archer? Source please?
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • daedalus304daedalus304 Member Posts: 1,049 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I guess I am a little late to the party on this one, but I was fighting in the Dyson battlezone and a frickin T-Rex with lasers showed up. WTF is this??? Is this something that happened in one of the shows, or was somebody at Cryptic high as hell when they made the decision to put this in?

What an amazing way to shatter immersion. I was hoping for it to end and be a lame "it was all a dream" sequence.

WTF dude?

clearly you don't know how kooky Star Trek got.

trust me, it's as Trek as it can get. At least they provided a backstory and a good excuse to have them.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Yeah there's absolutely no chance that you made a typo when choosing your user name/password and now can't figure out your mistake.

Contact customer support. No one here can help you.

Hehe... :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Basically, you wandered into a Dyson Sphere occupied by the http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Voth as seen in the VOY episode "Distant Origin." And yes, the Voth have genetically engineered T-Rexes with laser beams on their heads (and mortars on their backs - really gotta watch out for those) to do their bidding while they gather Omega Particles (which you may recall from another VOY episode.)

The rexes are basically big pinatas full of dilithium, dyson marks and cybernetic implants (which can be exchanged for moar dilithium.) Tag all three and get a bigger bonus.

If you think about it too much, it's really stupid. But with the right frame of mind (and an appropriate selection of weapons and attire) it's crazy-awesome fun.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Um... wut? Are you talking about Archer? Source please?

It is not actually canon at all, but it is the only thing that makes sense since archer has NO diplomacy skills what so ever, seems to have no idea what he is doing half the time and, etc.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Soon, my young Padawan learner, you will also learn the (not so) secret technique of Tagging. Then you will have taken the first steps into much Dyson Marks, much Dilithium V-Rex Tears.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can't be no more crazy than helping out the ginger bread people and fighting snowmen.

Its all in fun! That is what games are for. To create entertainment and the player having fun!
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    It is not actually canon at all, but it is the only thing that makes sense since archer has NO diplomacy skills what so ever, seems to have no idea what he is doing half the time and, etc.
    Archer was actually a military guy whose specialty was being a test pilot. He wasn't really there to be a diplomat, though he got stuck with the role often.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    farmallm wrote: »
    Its all in fun! That is what games are for. To create entertainment and the player having fun!

Obviously, you don't know what video games are for.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The Voth are evolved dinosaurs.

This is true. And what happened in STO is, due to their encounter with the crew of the Voyager, the Voth scientists were curious about the Terrans from oh so far away. They scoured their records. But unlike what Janeway hoped, they pretty much ignored the blasphemy contained in their doctored up archaeological records. And went straight to their comic book database.

Turok Dinosaur Hunter, from Valiant/Acclaim comics in the late 20th century, gave them all the inspiration they needed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We train animals around us in real life all the time. Some are used in military or police situations why would aliens be any different?

Also, Kirk fought Apollo in one episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVGK3fuD5Kw

He also teamed up with Abraham Lincoln at one point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JWe3hCes1o

Why are dinosaurs with lasers so hard to accept then?
    y1arXbh.png