test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Amusing Cryptic Interview Content

projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=30m55s

It's all about the metrics! (and it runs for several minutes).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=37m25s

"We're stingy with rewards because of exploits!"

(and you used to be able to get a full Omega set in a day heh)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=38m10s

Sims Online? Street-view is all about the roof tiles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=57m45s

WHAT'S THIS? THE GALAXY DREADNOUGHT IS ON THE SCHEDULE (with the promethius?).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=59m40s

The problem keeping "broadside cruisers" down is the FX team had one guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=1h03m20s

Star Trek keeps growing, apparently the first year just didn't happen?




Post your own funny content video links, let's have a party!
Post edited by projectfrontier on
«1

Comments

  • aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I miss the days when I didn't have to grind through a time-gated rep system for a month to get a space set.
  • stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    I miss the days when I didn't have to grind through a time-gated rep system for a month to get a space set.
    I think I had to do the old STFs around 40 times on one character before I ended up getting all the STF pieces to drop for me. There were some characters I could never get all the drops on. The randomization of maybe getting the drop you wanted sucked big time. I'll take a month of rep grind over 3 months of stf grind and still not getting what I wanted. :)
  • aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    I think I had to do the old STFs around 40 times on one character before I ended up getting all the STF pieces to drop for me. There were some characters I could never get all the drops on. The randomization of maybe getting the drop you wanted sucked big time. I'll take a month of rep grind over 3 months of stf grind and still not getting what I wanted. :)

    I must have just been lucky, then. I have Mk XII space sets on every pre-rep character I have, even though only a couple have all the reps done.

    IMHO, the little extras they've added (passive buffs, extra abilities, new ground toys, more easily-accessible high-end weapons) are the main benefits to the rep system. I miss the old 'grind', but I like the new pixelcrack...so I'm kinda meh about it, in the end.
  • jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    I miss the days when I didn't have to grind through a time-gated rep system for a month to get a space set.

    I had characters that in 6 months of daily play never got assigned 1 part of the borg set. Only 1 (my fed Engineer) managed to get the full set.

    I may dislike some grinds, but the one that says, X number of days to get something only having to do the same action a few times a day - I'll take it. Because 4 hours a day, for 6 months, for nothing - no thanks, I left Forsaken World for that very reason.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This was a depressing interview, but at least it was honest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    I think I had to do the old STFs around 40 times on one character before I ended up getting all the STF pieces to drop for me. There were some characters I could never get all the drops on. The randomization of maybe getting the drop you wanted sucked big time. I'll take a month of rep grind over 3 months of stf grind and still not getting what I wanted. :)
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    I had characters that in 6 months of daily play never got assigned 1 part of the borg set. Only 1 (my fed Engineer) managed to get the full set.

    I may dislike some grinds, but the one that says, X number of days to get something only having to do the same action a few times a day - I'll take it. Because 4 hours a day, for 6 months, for nothing - no thanks, I left Forsaken World for that very reason.
    I must agree with these gentlemen. I spent many, many months trying to get all my Borg Set pieces and only succeeded on three of my characters.

    While I am not a fan of repetitive grind knowing I am actually getting something for my efforts outweighs hoping I get it. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    This was a depressing interview, but at least it was honest.

    It was the honesty that made it so terminally depressing. Could have been summed up in a few words: "You know all y'all have complained about? Expect lots more of the same! Cheers!" :(
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I must agree with these gentlemen. I spent many, many months trying to get all my Borg Set pieces and only succeeded on three of my characters.

    While I am not a fan of repetitive grind knowing I am actually getting something for my efforts outweighs hoping I get it. :)

    Borg sets were easy to get (5 EDC per deflector/shield/engine, a console as a mission reward). Did you mean Omega/MACO? I was't active when Cryptic switched to the reputation system (and I ended up losing a lot of stuff because of it), the real problem back then was drop rates for "prototype gear" (they could have increased the drop rate or just let you trade in tokens for higher-tier tokens which I do not recall them doing).
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The talk about metrics remind me a lot of SWTOR. I don't know what they do now, but back when this game was p2p, every time they worked on classes, including nerfs, they dismissed players feedback, arguing their metrics were 100% accurate, and we were basically idiots barely worth being milked. But then, several days, weeks, or even months later, they reverted the changes, and did what the majority of players asked when they told us the metrics were accurate. In the end, the game ended up f2p.

    Listening to player feedback only is a bad idea, but not listening it at is also a bad idea. And there is 1 thing a metrics can't see, no matter how good it is. The amount of fun someone have on the game. Maybe they play, but are getting more bored each day. Maybe the class are supposed to be balanced, but the players doesn't have fun with them. The metrics can't see that.



    Also, Cryptic should see STO more as a game, and less than a marketing thing. I know they need money like any business, but they still have to remember what they do. The more I hear this interview, and the numerous before, the more it sound like they are discussing marketing. They could be selling apples, houses or build planes, that would be the exact same talk. Where is the passion ? Where is the "we did this because we like it" or "we did that because players like it" ?
    When was the last time you did something in the game ONLY for the player to have fun, and not for player retention, game promotion, or anything marketing related ?

    Because so far, in this interview, everything you did last year was basically marketing. You did reputations and end game content for player retention. Then did LoR for attracting new players, and make the old ones come back, knowing your retention was high, as a long term marketing plan. You didn't do LoR because the Romulan was anticipated, and because a lot of players wanted it. No, you did it for marketing reasons.

    For example, if you ask me why I did Foundry mission, my first answer will be because I wanted to do them. I wanted to tell a story, and I was hoping players would have fun playing it. But if STO was a Foundry mission, Cryptic would do it for the dil tip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Borg sets were easy to get (5 EDC per deflector/shield/engine, a console as a mission reward). Did you mean Omega/MACO? I was't active when Cryptic switched to the reputation system (and I ended up losing a lot of stuff because of it), the real problem back then was drop rates for "prototype gear" (they could have increased the drop rate or just let you trade in tokens for higher-tier tokens which I do not recall them doing).

    The EDCs were not very easy to get because even though they were supposed to be uncommon drops, but they turned out to be very rare. I got all the mk X to XI sets, but I could not get any of the ultra rare drops to make the MKXII sets complete.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    WHAT'S THIS? THE GALAXY DREADNOUGHT IS ON THE SCHEDULE (with the promethius?).

    We have the Prometheus.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • tyraiddtyraidd Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    We have the Prometheus.

    He's probably confused about the news of the new tech they were implementing for the Galaxy-X saucer separation. Which the Galaxy Seperation was old tech, while the Prometheus was newer technology. So that when you reintegrate the Saucer, it won't clip into the Third Nacelle.
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tyraidd wrote: »
    He's probably confused about the news of the new tech they were implementing for the Galaxy-X saucer separation. Which the Galaxy Seperation was old tech, while the Prometheus was newer technology. So that when you reintegrate the Saucer, it won't clip into the Third Nacelle.

    What he was actually referring to is the tech that allows the ships to stay in flight when they saucer sep. right now they grind to a halt when they split
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,776 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    The EDCs were not very easy to get because even though they were supposed to be uncommon drops, but they turned out to be very rare. I got all the mk X to XI sets, but I could not get any of the ultra rare drops to make the MKXII sets complete.

    The EDCs were the green ones that dropped every time, that you could use for standard weapons and such. There was no mk XI or XII version of the Borg set at the time, so it wasn't on the rare drops like MACO/HG/Omega.
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Galaxy-X has "just" gotten onto the schedule for it's saucer-separation refit?

    As far as I can tell, that's been on the schedule for ages. In fact, Geko tweeted the original leak of the Saucer Sep Galaxy-X over two years ago.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=59m40s

    The problem keeping "broadside cruisers" down is the FX team had one guy?

    Hire some more people then, jeez!
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    The EDCs were not very easy to get because even though they were supposed to be uncommon drops, but they turned out to be very rare. I got all the mk X to XI sets, but I could not get any of the ultra rare drops to make the MKXII sets complete.

    EDC were the currency rewarded for completing an STF/E-STF. In fact you earned so many it was possible to complete a Borg set in 2-3 hours (including the mission needed for the console).

    The rest of what has become the "reputation system excuse" is nothing that Cryptic couldn't have handled in the old system with an adjustment to drop rates and some greater conversion flexibility.
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    The Galaxy-X has "just" gotten onto the schedule for it's saucer-separation refit?

    As far as I can tell, that's been on the schedule for ages. In fact, Geko tweeted the original leak of the Saucer Sep Galaxy-X over two years ago.



    Hire some more people then, jeez!

    By the language used it's the Saucer AND seemingly a "refit" of the layout. Perhaps more "Scimitar Dreadnought" and less "Assault Cruiser"..

    edit: I feel kinda quesy now. What is they Dyson the ship by turning the Phaser lance into a 9th console weapon that cannot be changed and only works if you toggle between Escort/Cruiser mode during which time a LTC Tac and Engineer swap a commander slot?

    Ugh, I think I'm going to vomit my brain out.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    erei1 wrote: »


    Also, Cryptic should see STO more as a game, and less than a marketing thing.

    that's an old but very actual one. quantity before quality gets u faster money. but quality before quantity gets u more money in the long run.
    sad fact is that companies are not interested in "long-term"-investments. they want the quick money, not thinking about details. sad fact is sad, even more regarding everything that is labelled as star trek :(.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,622 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for linking this, I missed the interview back when it happened.

    A shame the Constellation saucer was leaked the way it was, but this almost confirms it as an upcoming release. Definitely happy to hear they still want to make a Super-Neghvar even after the Mogh has come out, but I get the impression it still has a ways to go from the way he worded it. Likewise, I'm a bit excited about conversation regarding firing nodes, it sounds like they might actually be working on making port and starboard weapon facings a reality at long last.

    It doesn't really impact me, but it's nice to hear the Galaxy update might finally be coming to fruition. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Dauntless, but kudos to those who are looking forward to their own U.S.S. Cuddlefish.
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    The talk about metrics remind me a lot of SWTOR. I don't know what they do now, but back when this game was p2p, every time they worked on classes, including nerfs, they dismissed players feedback, arguing their metrics were 100% accurate, and we were basically idiots barely worth being milked. But then, several days, weeks, or even months later, they reverted the changes, and did what the majority of players asked when they told us the metrics were accurate. In the end, the game ended up f2p.

    Listening to player feedback only is a bad idea, but not listening it at is also a bad idea. And there is 1 thing a metrics can't see, no matter how good it is. The amount of fun someone have on the game. Maybe they play, but are getting more bored each day. Maybe the class are supposed to be balanced, but the players doesn't have fun with them. The metrics can't see that.

    Actually the big fail I tend to see when the devs argue metrics is they don't always take the extra step to determine the 'why'.

    For example ISE tends to be very popular in the Queue. The question of 'why' though is difficult to answer. Is it because of the high rewards for time invested? I would lean towards 'yes' except that CSE has a better reward for time ratio than KASE but is less popular. Is it because of the low difficulty bar with the high rewards? Once again I would lean towards 'yes' except that CE Elite only offers 50% more marks than the normal version and is significantly more difficult but much more popular.

    So in the end I would hazard to say the reason for ISE popularity is related to the high rewards, relatively low difficulty, and fast completion but the true core explanation for it's popularity is the content design. Like any move or game it has a clear escalation of tension leading to a satisfying climax even if power creep has had a negative impact on it. Both KASE and CE Elite have that design element as well.

    Metrics do not lie. But they never explain the 'why' or the human element of the equation that creates them.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bareel wrote: »
    Actually the big fail I tend to see when the devs argue metrics is they don't always take the extra step to determine the 'why'.

    I agree. He's also saying a lot of this stuff in relation to the Foundry, which is still in Beta at the 3 year mark. They've barely supported it. They've broken it over and over again. The search interface is terrible. The exploits are not controlled. STO doesn't have a programmer of their own, it seems.

    But it's OK for a dev to point to metrics to say that the Foundry isn't a priority due to how the players play the game. Perhaps the numbers might be different if there was one person in charge of the thing, actually working on it. If they tried to incorporate the Foundry into the F2P model (like with a reputation system) while they prevented and punished the exploits, then maybe the numbers would teach them something.

    At some point, it is like saying that pvp is the way it is because players don't pvp, so it's not a priority. Sure, but why is pvp so terrible in this game since day one? Maybe the player behavior should tell the devs something about their misplaced priorities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »

    At some point, it is like saying that pvp is the way it is because players don't pvp, so it's not a priority. Sure, but why is pvp so terrible in this game since day one? Maybe the player behavior should tell the devs something about their misplaced priorities.

    If you say the word 'metrics' in an insane parrot voice it comes close to what the devs convey when they keep banging on about it.

    Metrics can only measure the past.

    This they do very well indeed.

    But when you try to use these metrics to predict the future you get things like the grindaversay and Borticus's apparent desire to rewite history. (Nawww, you never HAD to run the grind to get the kit, it was also gonna be in the lobi store. Just dont read dev blog 47 and it'll all be ok)

    Let's be utterly honest.

    When devs say that written feedback is simply not going to be heard, then they're insulting the players.

    When their metrics cause them to design an utterly horrible anniversary event and, despite the weeks of comments about why it'll go wrong, then try to rewrite history to cover their fundaments, then they're insulting players.

    When the community manager decides rather than manage the community when they changed the fora to the 'sucks if your eyes are bad' version to offer a webcast from old material which he doesnt even know properly, its insulting the players.

    A little less patting yourselves on the back, Cryptic. A bit more 'wtf are we getting wrong'.

    A lot less contempt for the players and a whole lot more respect for your customers.

    No zen for cryptic until they at least acknowledge errors.
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    artan42 wrote: »
    We have the Prometheus.
    tyraidd wrote: »
    He's probably confused about the news of the new tech they were implementing for the Galaxy-X saucer separation. Which the Galaxy Seperation was old tech, while the Prometheus was newer technology. So that when you reintegrate the Saucer, it won't clip into the Third Nacelle.

    Actually if you both listen to the segment the statement is very clear - the Prometheus and Galaxy "separation powers" are both getting overhauled to be in line with the Odyssey's, also the Dreadnought the may finally also get to use the separation power in game too.
    castsbugc wrote: »
    What he was actually referring to is the tech that allows the ships to stay in flight when they saucer sep. right now they grind to a halt when they split

    Yep.
  • lordvalecortezlordvalecortez Member Posts: 479 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I must agree with these gentlemen. I spent many, many months trying to get all my Borg Set pieces and only succeeded on three of my characters.

    While I am not a fan of repetitive grind knowing I am actually getting something for my efforts outweighs hoping I get it. :)

    I wish to second this opinion. I had 1 toon that managed to get a complete Mk XII space set in the pre rep era. Only managed the mk XI ground through grinding EDCs. The new rep grind is much better overall I feel in that you do know you are getting something, eventually and everyone has to work for it.

    The only thing I don't like is the fact that someone can have Mk XII gear and still not have a clue how to run the STFs. At least back in the pre rep days when you saw someone in mk XII ground hear you knew that they knew what they were doing. (Or at least were very lucky and maybe had a rough idea of what was going on.) Nowadays some one can, in theory run nothing but ISN, grind out all the gear and still have no idea what is going on. Or worse yet get up to Mk XII ground gear and jump in the deep end right away. Which is why whenever I pug ground STFs (the horror I know) I always ask if people know what they are doing. It's not big deal. I know what I'm getting into when I pug.

    To the OP: It's nice to see some communication from Cryptic. I might not like everything they do in their sandbox but at least hearing why is a nice thing. There should be more of it.
    Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I wish to second this opinion. I had 1 toon that managed to get a complete Mk XII space set in the pre rep era. Only managed the mk XI ground through grinding EDCs. The new rep grind is much better overall I feel in that you do know you are getting something, eventually and everyone has to work for it.

    The only thing I don't like is the fact that someone can have Mk XII gear and still not have a clue how to run the STFs. At least back in the pre rep days when you saw someone in mk XII ground hear you knew that they knew what they were doing. (Or at least were very lucky and maybe had a rough idea of what was going on.) Nowadays some one can, in theory run nothing but ISN, grind out all the gear and still have no idea what is going on. Or worse yet get up to Mk XII ground gear and jump in the deep end right away. Which is why whenever I pug ground STFs (the horror I know) I always ask if people know what they are doing. It's not big deal. I know what I'm getting into when I pug.

    To the OP: It's nice to see some communication from Cryptic. I might not like everything they do in their sandbox but at least hearing why is a nice thing. There should be more of it.

    Omega/MACO Mk XII? Pain to get.
    Borg Assimilated - Never had Mk at all prior to the reputation system.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I could listen to Al Rivera talk all day. Non-answers are generally kept at a minimum with him, and detailed technical explanations are given often with little bs. Not a fan of every decision he makes, but he's at least gone on record as to having made mistakes in the past, which makes him a better person for it. I prefer his honesty to canned marketing responses from elsewhere in Cryptic/PWE.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADhhw2Rh3YY&t=37m25s

    "We're stingy with rewards because of exploits!"

    How very liberal. "Some gamers violate the rules so we're gonna punish everybody by enacting 'Reward Control.'"

    Is that the reason why Azure Nebula Rescue gives a TRIBBLE amount of marks? For well over a year they just haven't acknowledged our requests to increase the mark amount a little. So it's because a small minority of players would find a way to exploit it? It's about the only thing in the PVE queue that people do for romulan marks, even though it gives the least amount.

    Come to think of it, Elachi Alert was very popular and gave a decent amount of marks before they suddenly decided to remove it. Perhaps some players found an exploit in it and the only way to fix it was to pull the entire event from the game. The last think pwebranflakes, the previous community manager, said was some stupid joke and that they would give us more info soon. No explanation other than "the Elachi suddenly decided to stop coming through the gate". Well that was a while ago.

    Maybe if the rewards in the game were worthwhile, players wouldn't find a need to "exploit" the game.

    But just like in real life, no matter how much you punish those who follow the rules, there will ALWAYS be some that won't. I get so sick of playing the game the way I should be by following the rules and getting screwed over because of a few idiots. :mad:
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Honestly, I think Gecko far too much enjoyment out of finding new ways to troll the playerbase..

    Taking the stuff he says with a large grain of salt, is the first step to a happier time.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif





  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

    Maybe if the rewards in the game were worthwhile, players wouldn't find a need to "exploit" the game.

    I doubt this very much, to be honest. The people who are doing these things would do these things if the payout was higher in a shorter amount of time. It doesn't matter if it's fun or not. It doesn't matter how reasonable the reward structure is designed. If there is a way to cheat, then there will be cheaters.

    I just wish that they would address it. PWE cares about $$$. So, Cryptic should do something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Honestly, I think Gecko far too much enjoyment out of finding new ways to troll the playerbase..

    IMO, it's far more comparable to trolling when a past EP was constantly answering questions about the Foundry with, "Well, we've talked about... What we'd like to see... It would be neat..."

    Meanwhile, very few of those discussions get prioritized or put on somebody's schedule. To me, that is comparable to trolling us along with empty talk and optimism.

    At least Geko is honest, apart from really talking around the fact that nobody at STO is in charge of the thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sign In or Register to comment.