test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I have a map question for... maybe Tacofangs?

twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
Of course maybe his job doesn't cover this: I was playing Temporal Ambassador the other day and a thought struck me about the Enterprise C as I was walking the gangplank.

"Is this a full model or just a facade? If it is a facade, is it to scale or is it some very well done forced perspective?"

And that's why I took to the forums to ask whichever Dev sticks the ships in the background. I'm willing to bet that the ships in ESD's shipyard window are all forced perspective. I think this would also be a nice look behind the curtain...
<3
Post edited by twg042370 on

Comments

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Have a look at this post of his:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=8583511&postcount=40

and highlight the part after spoiler in the middle and I think you will find your answer.;)
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2014
    Well, you asked the right foodstuffs. I built that mission with Charles Gray.

The Ent C is a scaled up version of the player's ship. No forced perspective. We were concerned that it wouldn't hold up well enough at that scale. It definitely loses some flash when scaled up so much, but it seemed to do well enough that we didn't need to rebuild it for that mission.

ESD's Docking Bay is a bit of trickery. Whoever built it originally didn't build it accurately, or to the right scale. Usually the ship right outside the window is a full scale model of whatever ship (again, scaled up from the player ship), but the ships in the back of the bay have been scaled down slightly to exaggerate the distance.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Well, you asked the right foodstuffs. I built that mission with Charles Gray.

The Ent C is a scaled up version of the player's ship. No forced perspective. We were concerned that it wouldn't hold up well enough at that scale. It definitely loses some flash when scaled up so much, but it seemed to do well enough that we didn't need to rebuild it for that mission.

ESD's Docking Bay is a bit of trickery. Whoever built it originally didn't build it accurately, or to the right scale. Usually the ship right outside the window is a full scale model of whatever ship (again, scaled up from the player ship), but the ships in the back of the bay have been scaled down slightly to exaggerate the distance.

right now the vesta is like twice the size it should be, compared to the other reduced in size ship in there trying to make the dock look bigger then it is
  • ransom2375ransom2375 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Everytime i walked towards the ship i was in awe!
    One of my favorite STO missions and moments to this day. :)
    The Enterprise-C model itself is very detailed and nice. Kudos to the ship artist as well.

Another great moment was the spacewalk on the outside of Deep Space Nine, and the recent flight between the Dyson Solar Station. I love those moments when we get a sense of how big those ships & stations really are.
    Star Trek Online: Foundry 02.12.2010 - 11.04.2019
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, that is interesting. Thanks. It scaled up pretty nicely. I think the flat white of Federation ships helped keep it looking solid
    <3
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ransom2375 wrote: »
    Everytime i walked towards the ship i was in awe!
    One of my favorite STO missions and moments to this day. :)
    The Enterprise-C model itself is very detailed and nice. Kudos to the ship artist as well.

Another great moment was the spacewalk on the outside of Deep Space Nine, and the recent flight between the Dyson Solar Station. I love those moments when we get a sense of how big those ships & stations really are.

Same. Walking down that long corridor with the massive C looming over and ahead, is one of the most awe-inspiring moments in STO.
    edited February 2014
    The same question crossed my mind about DS9 in Boldly They Rode last night. Is it also a full model?
    <3
    edited February 2014
    There are parts of DS9 (the parts you walk on) that were rebuilt for ground scale, with more detail and different textures. The rest of the station (vista areas) I *think* is the normal station scaled up. Could be mistaken, it's been a while since I've been in that map.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are parts of DS9 (the parts you walk on) that were rebuilt for ground scale, with more detail and different textures. The rest of the station (vista areas) I *think* is the normal station scaled up. Could be mistaken, it's been a while since I've been in that map.

So when are we getting the missing parts of the station. Like the Security Office, Assay Office, the Holosuits, and the Infirmary? ;)

BTW, ESD on Spheres of Influence still isn't fixed. :P
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So when are we getting the missing parts of the station. Like the Security Office, Assay Office, the Holosuits, and the Infirmary? ;)

Tacofangs indulged us in this very conversation earlier today in the Art forum.

The short version: he agrees that the DS9 interior needs love, he'd be happy to do it, but it's not on the horizon, and ESD needs love more badly and will be done first.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I noticed that the Foundry DS9 ground map has geometry for much of the station exterior, but the geometry isn't something you can walk on. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • phantomeightphantomeight Member Posts: 567 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    This is why I use demorecord when I want to really check out a map. You can pause the recording or let it run and just skywalk with the camera. I've done this with the docking area of ESD, it was amazing.
  • blevokblevok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

BTW, ESD on Spheres of Influence still isn't fixed. :P

there's a lot more missing than that. i think DS9 should be an "adventure zone", with a fully explorable interior. if it ever gets fixed, i'd finally "love" STO.
    Fleet: Stargate-Union
    Pizza: Pepperoni
    Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
    edited February 2014
    I noticed that the Foundry DS9 ground map has geometry for much of the station exterior, but the geometry isn't something you can walk on. :(

Calculating collision on triangles that no one will ever (reasonably) reach, is wasteful. We turn off collision for things we don't intend people to walk on. That's why Jumping all over and finding glitches outside is so cringeworthy for us.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Tacofangs indulged us in this very conversation earlier today in the Art forum.

The short version: he agrees that the DS9 interior needs love, he'd be happy to do it, but it's not on the horizon, and ESD needs love more badly and will be done first.

Well won't argue with him there. ESD does need a good revamp. I got some ESD concept art I'm working on of a new Atrium he might be interested in.

blevok wrote: »
    there's a lot more missing than that. i think DS9 should be an "adventure zone", with a fully explorable interior. if it ever gets fixed, i'd finally "love" STO.

Fully explorable interior is a rather big request.

But in a way I could see DS9 as a type of adventure zone, where certain areas might get some kind of scripted event. Like you're in one of the Cargobays and stumble upon a cartel operation and they start attacking you. Or you are walking down a hallway and asked to help take care of the Vols in the Jefferie's Tubes.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That's why Jumping all over and finding glitches outside is so cringeworthy for us.

How cringeworthy are we talking about? If a player likes to explore in unintended areas what is the harm?
    edited February 2014
    There is mostly no actual harm. If you get far enough away you can start causing some server problems, but that's really difficult without flight.

We, the artists, hate it, because it's like looking behind the Wizard of Oz's curtain. We put all this effort into making something incredibly cool for you, and then you run the other way, ignoring that hard work, and instead looking at the 2x4's holding the whole thing up.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Taco u cant ask my cat not to jump everywere :-P
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    We, the artists, hate it, because it's like looking behind the Wizard of Oz's curtain. We put all this effort into making something incredibly cool for you, and then you run the other way, ignoring that hard work, and instead looking at the 2x4's holding the whole thing up.

There is a really simple answer to this. Build the complet galaxy. See not no one can get 'outside'.

:D :P.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited February 2014
    There is mostly no actual harm. If you get far enough away you can start causing some server problems, but that's really difficult without flight.

Well... my curiousity demands it. :P

It's like Alice and the rabbit hole... how deep DOES the rabbit hole go? :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited February 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=15197791&postcount=7

And I understand that, and I'm not saying you don't have a right to jump all over the place, and find holes, and get outside with glitches.

I'm just asking that you understand that it drives US NUTS!
    edited February 2014

"Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying 'End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH', the paint wouldn't even have time to dry."

― Terry Pratchett
    <3
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    Taco u cant ask my cat not to jump everywere :-P

Next patch is going to include the "Spray bottle of SCRAM!" effective on Caitians and THeir KDF cousins, causes them to flee in the opposite direction for three seconds at full speed then stop and groom themselves for forty seconds.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited February 2014

This may sound strange but have you ever considered putting a couple of odd ball things (Easter eggs) on the other side of the curtain. It is a time honored tradition.

If you want to see behind the curtain on the show watch ds9 where Worf and Garrek get in a fight on the defiant. There is a glimpse where they knock the doors of the jefferies tube in behind the set..
    edited February 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=15197791&postcount=7

And I understand that, and I'm not saying you don't have a right to jump all over the place, and find holes, and get outside with glitches.

As a Foudnry author, I understand that people will do anything and everything.... It's just life. :P and yes it can be frustrating to idiot proof things. :(
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing