test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Question/Request to Devs: Enhanced Battle Cloak as Console

kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
This is directed to the developers. My apologies if this is not the correct venue for this type of question/request.

With the addition of the Scimitar's Cloaked Barrage console, has there been any thought towards making the Enhanced Battle Cloak of the B'rel and T'varo into a console as well?

I could see the cloak on those two ships being changed to a standard Battle Cloak. Meanwhile the Enhanced Battle Cloak console would be b'rel and T'varo only, do something like the following:

Cloaked Projectiles
Fire projectile weapons while cloaked

Applies Cloaked Projectiles to self

Allows you to fire projectiles while cloaked. You can still be detected by abilities that reveal cloaked ships.

Current Weapon Power set to 0 for 15 seconds.
Enables use of (projectile?) weapons while cloaked to self for 15 seconds.
3 minute cooldown

This would represent the ability demonstrated by the B'rel prototype in STVI quite well, and much better than the 3-second decloak/cloak animation/ability that the B'rel and T'varo have at this time. It also does this without creating the problem of cloaked torpedo spam, and brings the B'rel and T'varo in line with the other ships with special abilities tied to consoles.

As a final note, if anybody knows of a better place to put this so that it can be given some attention, please let me know. I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post. It is very appreciated. Have a fantastic day.
Post edited by kolbrandr on

Comments

• cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No, thats the worst idea I've ever heard.

3 minutes for a torpedo attack from cloak? Do you realize how USELESS a single torpedo attack run is on a target?

The enhanced battle cloak effect is fine as it is. The only thing I agree with you is that it should not be built into the hull.

Due to the ship already being out in fleet and zstore format for so long, the easiest way for them to do this is to turn the enhanced battle cloak into a device (not console) usable only in the t'varo and b'rel that gives the enhanced cloak functionality as a passive, always active feature.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So you are asking to nerf the Fleet B'Rel Retrofit and B'Rel Retrofit? Players would lose a console slot to get their Enhanced Battle Cloak that they already have. If any changes are made to the Enhanced Battle Cloak, then it should be done on the power itself and not make it into a console.
  • cepholapoidcepholapoid Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How about no. I love my torpedo t'varo just the way it is. It is by no means a "I win ship" by

any means. It requires an extremely narrow skill tree spec to be effective, and requires skill

to be able to fly. Also, flying with no shields and all the FAW scimitards everywhere really just

make life harder.

I totally disagree that the enhanced cloak should be a console, but I guess I do have a bias.
    cI5XEZr.jpg
  • abystander0abystander0 Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What I am seeing here is a request to allow any ship to potentially have the enhanced battlecloak.

How about leaving it the way it is? Or better yet, not having the b'rel be exposed when it fires?

Your suggestion would render the only benefit to the b'rel retrofit, and it's fleet variant, useless.

The b'rel retrofit is a niche ship, why make it irrelevant just so you can make another ship do what it does? Locking the console to this ship is an even worse idea. You now have the same ship, but with one less console slot. Same goes for a device slot.

Do you have one of these ships? Or were you a victim of one in Kerrat?
  • kolbrandrkolbrandr Member Posts: 266
    edited February 2014
    I absolutely have a bias as well. I currently (and in the past) own people in my torpedo B'rel. Using single-run alpha strikes as a matter of fact.

But I think it is time to move away from the 3 second decloak/cloak bandaid, and have a true "fire while cloaked" effect. To increase immersion and better represent the ship as it was depicted in the movie/lore.

Don't get me wrong. The B'rel is an absolute labor of love for me. I still have messages in my inbox from people who saw my b'rel video back in day and want build advice. I LOVE the B'rel retro.

I really just want the "exposed" effect to go away because it is immersion breaking and doesn't represent what the ship actually did. But when it didn't have it (uninformed) people cried. So I am trying to work out a compromise.
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is no compromise. You cannot have a ship fire from cloak and remain cloaked in any way or form. Its extremely unbalancing and opens a can of worms of exploits.

Just look at what happened when the fleet rom boffs cloak timer buff stacked. B'rels were re-cloaking so fast that you could barely see them for a split second, much less target them (even with tab!).
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ROFL!!! This is either the best troll or the silliest idea I've ever read on the forum.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The whine and butthurt coming from OP is delicious.:D
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I dunno. I could see it as a multi-item set bonus.
  • bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    No thanks. I like the EBC the way it is now.
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,428 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    ROFL!!! This is either the best troll or the silliest idea I've ever read on the forum.

Agreed,

It sounds like the OP got Rick Rolled by someone using either the B'rel Retro or the T'Varo and is trying to get back at them :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    So judging by the response, everybody would be fine if we just removed the 3-second decloak/cloak, and left everything else as-is?

That would be fine and fantastic with me. You would get rivers of Fed tears though.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is no compromise. You cannot have a ship fire from cloak and remain cloaked in any way or form. Its extremely unbalancing and opens a can of worms of exploits.
    i'm pretty sure that's exactly what the scimitar's cloaked barrage console does...allows you to fire while remaining totally invisible unless someone has a high enough SDR to detect you, unlike EBC which briefly makes you visible while firing

but don't quote me on that, as it's been a long time since i've used the console
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited February 2014
    ...and the people who know what they are doing have no problem uncloaking them.