What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Galaxy Changes

2»

Comments

• stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    borgus1122 wrote: »
    I think is good that Tour the Universe is a daily mission - so that you can do it any time you want. But, the time to complete this mission is missmatch. It should be as it was before 1 hour. Butnow it lasts only 15 minutes (and to complete this mission in time is not possible even in our wildest dreams). Specialy if you have slower ship. So why did they changed time in wich mission must be completed?
    15 minutes is just enough time to complete it via the Federation route and assuming you've got either MACO engines or borg engines. (assuming also you're not doing any mission replay t-warp silliness)

But I've found it's just not enough time for KDF, at least not in the routes I've tried.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's already a topic going on about the tour and the twisted decisions which made it as appalling as it is today.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I used to manage 10 minutes, without Advanced Slipstream (6 full laps in one event). Then they nerfed this once glorious event into Grethor, and I removed all Driver Coil boosts and stopped looking for RP and the assignment boost. Now 15 minutes, with the addition of Tau Dewa, will be a challenge.

And all that for 475,000 EC? What a bloody insult. This needs to be at least tripled for it to even become viable.

Why do you devs hate this event so much? It was one of the last remaining feelings of true exploration and "trekking" you got.
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can you pick it up via the available missions tab? If so, you can pick a much better starting location, and so it might be doable.

Other than that, the rewards are higher per sector block I think, so you'll probably come out ahead regardless.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gonalius wrote: »
    Can you pick it up via the available missions tab? If so, you can pick a much better starting location, and so it might be doable.

Other than that, the rewards are higher per sector block I think, so you'll probably come out ahead regardless.
    Have you ever done the good old tour before the nerf hammer struck? That was a good one...
    Before the latest nerf, people had a whole hour to do it.

Bran told in a tribble topic that it'll be looked into. But 99.9% of my guts tells me the tour will only see more nerfs.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • sicjebsicjeb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Came up short with just two sectors in Regulus left to finish. And that's on my fully kitted out Vesta. :P
    Without Tau Dewa I would have done it.
  • sicjebsicjeb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow, I managed to complete it. Just tried again and got it with 3 seconds left to spare. So, not a huge margin of error there.
  • albinovampire987albinovampire987 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    stofsk wrote: »
    15 minutes is just enough time to complete it via the Federation route and assuming you've got either MACO engines or borg engines. (assuming also you're not doing any mission replay t-warp silliness)

But I've found it's just not enough time for KDF, at least not in the routes I've tried.

I've managed to get it done with about a minute to spare twice on the fed side... I havent even bothered with my KDF
    Galactic Horde.
    edited January 2014
    I've managed to get it done with about a minute to spare twice on the fed side... I havent even bothered with my KDF
    Yeah, sometimes I finished with literally seconds to spare, at least once I think there was good half a minute left on the clock when I reached the Undine sector. But for whatever reason, the KDF route just seems a tiny bit longer. One character couldn't make it to Gamma Orionis in the alotted time (but that was because I went through Sirius sector, only to discover to my chagrin I can't get to Gamma Orionis by using the Fed t-warp gate - had that worked, I would have gotten the borg sector at least), while the other character made it through Gamma Orionis but didn't thread the Sibirian needle perfectly so I couldn't go on to get the Undine sector, had to stop and grab one last thing in Gamma Orionis. Most annoying.

It's still close, so it's no doubt a matter of shaving off a few seconds here and there, being more careful with slipstream, maybe strategic use of t-warp.
  • fyremousefyremouse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just completed it using the Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit with a Borg engine and MK XI Warpcoil with COI and Trans recharge as the bonus. It took me 12m 23 Secs. Transwarp Speed of 33 and a max standard warp of 22. So it can be done. in the 15 minutes that provided me the 450k EC without a sweat. And i snagged DoFF missions along the way to integrate it into my grind. I am using a Science officer with max driver coil so he is basically my racer.

With my Tac with similair specs same ship but without the Driver Coil skill points it took 14 13m 45 Secs. with good timing on my transwarp

Cheers,
    FyreMouse
    Proud to be a Lifer.
    I earned my 1000 days the hard way and I still come back...
  • maiewskimaiewski Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    fyremouse wrote: »
    I just completed it using the Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit with a Borg engine and MK XI Warpcoil with COI and Trans recharge as the bonus. It took me 12m 23 Secs. Transwarp Speed of 33 and a max standard warp of 22. So it can be done. in the 15 minutes that provided me the 450k EC without a sweat. And i snagged DoFF missions along the way to integrate it into my grind. I am using a Science officer with max driver coil so he is basically my racer.

With my Tac with similair specs same ship but without the Driver Coil skill points it took 14 13m 45 Secs. with good timing on my transwarp

Cheers,
    FyreMouse

Did the timer still tick down as you were zoning, basically losing the time you spend loading the Sector Block?
    DarthGM, GM Phil, Admiral Kavalon, et al

Currently cruising the Pi Canis Sector Block...
    edited January 2014
    maiewski wrote: »
    Did the timer still tick down as you were zoning, basically losing the time you spend loading the Sector Block?
    I'm sure it does.
  • domvinadomvina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So instead of it being an additional path for new characters to get some extra EC to help gear up it's become an annoying daily for characters who are already well geared and don't need the EC?

That... makes no sense. :confused:
  • domvinadomvina Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So instead of it being an additional path for new characters to get some extra EC to help gear up it's become an annoying daily for characters who are already well geared and don't need the EC?

• comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Like I said in the Maintenance post, I can pull it off in my Borg Mk X MVAE in 16-17 minutes and that's if I'm not too distracted.

This has entered Nintendo Hard levels. I CAN'T WAIT.

Get an excelsior, maco adapted engines, you can do it in 12, easy. Just plan your transwarps.....Maybe that new warp engine with the 2 LY jump every X amount of time...

Transwarp doff in slot six, [trans] warp engine, and plan your trans warps with a judicious use of Quantium slipstream....Just plan right and 12 should be doable....
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    domvina wrote: »

QFT. A lot of what they do lately makes no sense UNTIL you view it in the perspective of the "grind the customers to pulp and milk them for as much real world money as possible" that they have lately. When viewed from that perspective it makes perfect sense to start removing other gameplay modes and rewards, so that customers will start paying for rewards they got free before.

Of course that won't work and they'll kill the game and drive people off, but it makes a sick sort of sense.
  • maiewskimaiewski Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    domvina wrote: »

What about those of us who are Level 50, have about 200,000-400,000 EC (if we're lucky), and have real lives and can't grind moneymakers for hours at a time every single day?

You know...the CASUAL PLAYERS.

It's perfect for us.
    ;)
    DarthGM, GM Phil, Admiral Kavalon, et al

Currently cruising the Pi Canis Sector Block...
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    maiewski wrote: »
    What about those of us who are Level 50, have about 200,000-400,000 EC (if we're lucky), and have real lives and can't grind moneymakers for hours at a time every single day?

You know...the CASUAL PLAYERS.

It's perfect for us.
    ;)

Running the Foundry farming mission "Admiral Bobo Goes To War" returns 300/400k in vendor sales, the (very) occasional useful bit of gear, a smidgeon of Dilithium and is fun as well! I found it very useful in funding my rep 'missions'. It probably takes about 15 minutes as well. But choice is always a good thing.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They should rename it Need For Energy Credits just for kicks.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • fyremousefyremouse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I dunno I like it.
    For an outlay of 650-900k for the Warp Core and the grind for the borg engine its very doable with a little planning. The Excelsior makes it easy if you have it in your collection, which if you've been around you probably do because it was THE heavy cruiser for awhile. I think it would be doable with a different ship as well if you decreased your slipstream timer and have the console to half your transwarp timers.

Not every mission is supposed to be easy and doable.

I like it Cryptic. Nice 15 minute money maker.

Thanks
    FyreMouse
    Proud to be a Lifer.
    I earned my 1000 days the hard way and I still come back...
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Completed the updated tour for the first time today. I was just able to beat it - 10 seconds left. Waited until I was at the edge of the Vulcan sector in Sirius to accept the mission. Flew my Risian Corvette with the Borg MK XI set and the Obelisk warp core. I have 6 ranks in driver coil. Hope this helps :)

Ah, that's what I did wrong! Today I made the mistake of accepting the mission in person at the Starbase Disco, like I did before the mission became a daily. I'll know better tomorrow.
  • missconstruedmissconstrued Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Completed the updated tour for the first time today. I was just able to beat it - 10 seconds left. Waited until I was at the edge of the Vulcan sector in Sirius to accept the mission. Flew my Risian Corvette with the Borg MK XI set and the Obelisk warp core. I have 6 ranks in driver coil. Hope this helps :)

So, using the same build as before, I can now finish the Tour with almost 2 minutes to spare. I accept the mission on the border of the Vulcan sector of the Sirius Block. From there I hit Beta Ursae, Orellius, Zeta, Alpha T, Gamma O, then Pelia. Once I hit the Pelia sector, I transwarp to K7 and complete the remaining sectors.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So, using the same build as before, I can now finish the Tour with almost 2 minutes to spare. I accept the mission on the border of the Vulcan sector of the Sirius Block. From there I hit Beta Ursae, Orellius, Zeta, Alpha T, Gamma O, then Pelia. Once I hit the Pelia sector, I transwarp to K7 and complete the remaining sectors.

I do it almost in reverse of you, but with about the same result, roughly 2 minutes left over.

Risian Corvette (Just feels like the right ship to race in.)
    Borg Mk X Impulse Engine
    6 points in Driver Coil
    Mk XI Warp Core with [Coi] and [Trans] (so 100 Driver Coil)
    Astrometrics Doff active for further reduction on transwarp
    Still more reduction on transwarp from Well Traveled buff.

I take the mission in Alpha Centauri near Iota Pavonis, Westernmost sector, go up into Iota. Aim for the 4 corners in IP, then straight down. Cross to middle sector of Alpha C, then turn nearly 180 degrees (would be nice to get that fixed one of these years so that we're facing out like every other sector block transition) and head down toward Psi Valorum, crossing the line to the last sector right before the jump to PV. Diagonal down toward Tau Dewa,, then cut just through the east sector of Tau to hit Pi Canis. Across Pi Canis diagonally down to Eta Eridani. 90 degree turn in Eta, then over to the middle sector and up into Regulus. Diagonally up through Regulus and into Sirius. Map up in Sirius and click on the Gamma Orionis gate. Map open again to click Sibiran in Gamma, then a slight correction and back so I don't stop there to cross the 4 corners, then straighten out toward Pelia. Hit T and go to K7 as soon as Pelia registers. Out to sector from K7 orbit, and a 180 to go to Orellius. Up to hit the other sector in Orellius, then the only bactrack of the route to get down to Beta Ursae. Down diagonally through BU to Alpha Trianguli, straight across AT to Zeta Andromedae. Head to the 4 corners in ZA, then transwarp to Tau Dewa with the Tier 1 Romulan rep unlock, and straight ahead to pick up the last sector.

I'm not sure that completion of the thing should depend on you having Borg or other engines that put you into transwarp speeds in sector space, or other tricks to cut down on transwarp or QSD cooldown, but then it would be too easy for those that do, so I can get why they went for this time limit.

Edit: I have now tried on 2 other, newer characters who don't have the Diplomacy or Tau Dewa transwarps yet, and neither with the Borg, nor any other sector speed buffing engine. They do have Well Traveled, Cores with [Trans] and purple Astro doffs. One of these in a normal ship, the other in a Vesta with the enhanced QSD. The one in the normal ship would probably need at least 20 minutes to finish, getting nearly 11 blocks done, while the one in the Vesta would need somewhere on the order of 17:30 to 18 minutes to finish, finishing 11 and a decent portion of the 12th blocks.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.