test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tour the Galaxy Changes

mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
"Tour the Galaxy" has been changed:

Converted this event to now be a daily mission with a 20 hour cooldown.
Added a time limit of 15 minutes to complete the mission.
Tau Dewa sector block has been added.
Unlock the "Well Travelled" space trait by visiting 8 sector blocks during this mission
Rewards are now given for each sector block you visit, with bonus rewards for visiting more sector blocks within the time limit:
The maximum rewards for visiting all sector blocks as a level 50 character are:
475,000 EC
715 Exploration XP
525 Trade XP
40 Recruitment XP
30 Development XP

Wonder how many people that hated the previous changes are going to be pissed about this?:D
Playing since launch in 2010.
Post edited by mindmage on

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Like I said in the Maintenance post, I can pull it off in my Borg Mk X MVAE in 16-17 minutes and that's if I'm not too distracted.

This has entered Nintendo Hard levels. I CAN'T WAIT.
  • seven4oneseven4one Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I guess some... so between 1 and (insert big number) maybe?:rolleyes:
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I haven't seen much point in doing it, I can get more in selling drops from a space eSTF And I can run those all day.
  • unangbangkayunangbangkay Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mindmage2 wrote: »

Unlock the "Well Travelled" space trait by visiting 8 sector blocks during this mission
    Rewards are now given for each sector block you visit, with bonus rewards for visiting more sector blocks within the time limit:
    475,000 EC
    715 Exploration XP
    525 Trade XP
    40 Recruitment XP
    30 Development XP

Wonder how many people that hated the previous changes are going to be pissed about this?:D

475k EC about 3x as much as I've ever made on Tour the Universe, so it's actually a benefit to me. That said, I never did more than 2 "laps" of the Tour, so i'm in the target audience here.

I would rather have fun trying to find the optimum way to run a single "race" once a day than lap a short course 5-10 times to squeeze as much EC as possible out of an hour.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    15 minutes.... Wow. That's the only thing that makes no sense. I've timed my run using borg engines and I do it in about 16-17ish. Good job cryptic. Give yourself a pat on the back and make sure you break your arm doing it.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hmm, all depends on how they run the clock, if they don't count zoning time it should be easy, if the timer doesn't stop then it will be rather tight.
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Before Season 7 I beat out the cooldown on my transwarp if I forgot to slot an Astrometrics doff.

With Tau Dewa added to the list... I'll just have to find a new route. And maybe finally get a Vesta rather than switching to my old Anniversary Odyssey.

The Klingon version, though... it's a good thing you don't need to complete the whole thing to get the Well-Traveled trait, just 8 sector blocks. Snake through Romulan space, dash down Regulus, then fly to Pelia.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mindmage2 wrote: »

475,000 EC
    715 Exploration XP
    525 Trade XP
    40 Recruitment XP
    30 Development XP

The Good:

You can run it on all of your characters per day. For me, that would be five total.

The Bad:

The time limit pretty much kills it completely for me, since I don't run hyper-advanced Rep equipment on my ships.

Even with my Warp 9.99 Galaxy/Venture-X dreadnoughts and Odyssey, with reduced cooldown of the QSSD (and enhanced QSSD on the Odyssey), the fastest I've pulled off a Tour after the last nerf (using the fastest route) was 19 minutes. I could run three characters per hour for 1,050,000 EC per event.

In an hour, I could earn what I earned in an afternoon of collecting loot drops in the past. The Tour allowed me to earn a respectable amount of EC for my needs without having to farm all of the damned time. Leaving time for, I dunno, actually playing for fun?

I guess I need to start buying master keys to sell on the Exchange. Or else, start culling Rep projects to concentrate exclusively on donations to my Fleet. Provisions are not cheap, and there are other additional expenses that cost EC too.

Oh, well. It was fun while it lasted. :rolleyes:
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My best record was 13:45, however that relied on a build I'm not longer using (maxed Driver Coil), and the buff provided by a critical success on a doff assigment, AND being able to keep the Advanced Quantum Slipstream ability running after moving from a block to another :rolleyes: .

As far I know the last one no longer works.
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, you don't have to complete it to get paid, but there is no way I make 15 minutes with what I usually fly, and by that I mean that I would have to totally rethink my impulse engine, at a minimum.

Even cutting out minor detours or checking DO missions in every block as I pass through I won't make 15 minutes.

I only play one character, really, so it was never about trying to speed through, but now it has to be to get it all done, I guess.
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    like I Said In The Maintenance Post, I Can Pull It Off In My Borg Mk X Mvae In 16-17 Minutes And That's If I'm Not Too Distracted.

This Has Entered Nintendo Hard Levels. I Can't Wait.

<your forum title here!>
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Using a Borg, MACO, or Fleet engine with at least six ranks in Driver Coil should let you cruise at minimum Transwarp 19 even without slipstream, and Transwarp 30+ when slipstream is active. A Warp Core that reduces cooldown time on slipstream is also recommended.
  • kandorouskandorous Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gotta go fast
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the changes. Nice chunk of Exploration XP and adequate EC for 15 mins work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
    edited January 2014
    I like the changes. Nice chunk of Exploration XP and adequate EC for 15 mins work.

Just keep in mind that, barring any changes, there will come a time when those exploration (and trade, and recruitment, and development) XP become useless.

It is ultimately about the EC. The rest of the stuff is just a little bonus while it lasts.

And for me that is no bonus at all.

I'm not crying about it being "unfair" or anything, just pointing out that what you think is 'nice' is temporary. After that, you only have what you consider to be 'adequate'.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just keep in mind that, barring any changes, there will come a time when those exploration (and trade, and recruitment, and development) XP become useless.

Not in the least (if you are in a fleet that is). If you are in a fleet, you can go to your fleet star base and trade those excess CXP into fleet marks.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I run this one strictly for the fun of it. I've no need for any of the reward. Looks like I'll need to call out my buddies from Daytona to see just how fast we can make the old girl (MU Vor'cha) cook along. She's gonna need to be Chad Knaus/Jimmy Johnson fast to pull this off. Sure hope I can pass the technical after the race. Those inspectors can be tough. :D

EDIT: Ooops. The inspectors found an unapproved warp coil. I just got fined 475k EC for
    Rule 12-4-A, Conduct Detrimental to Starship Racing.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    Hmm, all depends on how they run the clock, if they don't count zoning time it should be easy, if the timer doesn't stop then it will be rather tight.

In the Tribble thread about the Tour changes, I said that I don't think time spent in the loading screen should count, because we have no control over it.

Tribble thread:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=993961

Also, there was a bug preventing sectors in Iota Pavonis or Psi Velorum from registering, depending on which you visited first. I hope they've fixed this bug.

Tour bug on Tribble:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=994881

I was able to complete the Tour in under 15 minutes on Tribble, though it may be harder on Holodeck, depending on whether loading time is counted or not.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 609 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Maybe this could help:

"Solanae Overcharged Warp Core Mk XII (Very Rare)

This warp core provides the standard benefits of an Overcharged type Warp Core. In addition, it also allows the starship to create a Subspace Fold every several seconds. This causes the starship to instantaneously warp approximately 2 Light Years forward while in Sector Space.

This Warp Core is also part of the Solanae Hybrid Technologies item set. The Deflector, Shields and Engines from this set are rewards from completing the ?A Step Between Stars? Feature Episode. The stats for this impressive space set are listed in the 4th Anniversary Event rewards blog."
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd prefer it to be a 20 minute timer, but either way, it looks like it'll pay out more than it does now, even if you don't complete it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Using a Borg, MACO, or Fleet engine with at least six ranks in Driver Coil should let you cruise at minimum Transwarp 19 even without slipstream, and Transwarp 30+ when slipstream is active. A Warp Core that reduces cooldown time on slipstream is also recommended.
    I wonder how fast you could do it with the Obelisk core(faster QSS and shorter CD), on a vessel with extended QSS, and borg engines... I'll have to find out I suppose. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainedwards09captainedwards09 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I just gave this a shot with the Borg engines, this one definitely needs more time added, I would say 20 minutes would be a good compromise, 15 minutes is just too short, I missed finishing 5 sector blocks. I would hate to see someone who isn't level 50 or have any rep/fleet engines try this on an alt. Hoping the devs listen to the feedback and at least increase the time a bit.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Have to admit, I saw the 15 minute timer and thought, "Oh well, so much for finishing Tour".

As long as you still get rewarded for partial credit, I can live with it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • mushariagainmushariagain Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    15 minutes?!? That's TRIBBLE! Using mk XI warp core at VA 50 it takes me about 27 minutes without Tau Dewa! Now they want to add a sector block and make it under 15 mins?!?

Even if I could be bothered to get all the Borg tech and max out driver coil it's still gonna take longer than that!!! :mad:

Just to make it more of a pain in the turboshaft they're not lifting the once a day restriction?!?

To think I've been saving for lifetime sub! -.-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm not THAT difficult to please, I just have a very low tolerance threshold for stupid BS! - George Carlin.
  • dargalanddargaland Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Figures...just get to where I can actually do it in about 25 mins and you go and mess with it. Even got people who had never done it to try it. Nice.....NOT!!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Have to admit, I saw the 15 minute timer and thought, "Oh well, so much for finishing Tour".

As long as you still get rewarded for partial credit, I can live with it.
    Yeah... 15 mins is gonna be challenging to be sure...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • missconstruedmissconstrued Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Completed the updated tour for the first time today. I was just able to beat it - 10 seconds left. Waited until I was at the edge of the Vulcan sector in Sirius to accept the mission. Flew my Risian Corvette with the Borg MK XI set and the Obelisk warp core. I have 6 ranks in driver coil. Hope this helps :)
    edited January 2014
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Not in the least (if you are in a fleet that is). If you are in a fleet, you can go to your fleet star base and trade those excess CXP into fleet marks.

Ah, well, never been in a fleet so that explains my not knowing this.

But back on topic, still not something that people will be completing regularly unless they use just the right equipment and specs.

In other words, the vast majority of us.
    So what it offers in terms of skill and money for partial completions we will all have to see for ourselves when we run it.
  • artfulmerkageartfulmerkage Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2014

It is ultimately about the EC. The rest of the stuff is just a little bonus while it lasts.

And for me that is no bonus at all.

I'm not crying about it being "unfair" or anything, just pointing out that what you think is 'nice' is temporary. After that, you only have what you consider to be 'adequate'.

Why will there come a time where those CXP categories are useless?

I would only bother with Tour for the CXP. The EC is peanuts compared to what I can have.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Valdus | Charn | Costello | Typhus | Thyran
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think is good that Tour the Universe is a daily mission - so that you can do it any time you want. But, the time to complete this mission is missmatch. It should be as it was before 1 hour. Butnow it lasts only 15 minutes (and to complete this mission in time is not possible even in our wildest dreams). Specialy if you have slower ship. So why did they changed time in wich mission must be completed?