test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphics overhead in Dyson sphere

OK, I've been putting off going into the Dyson sphere for several reasons. I play on a machine that *barely* runs this game. I just turn the settings down to minimum and have fun, and most of the time my framerates are decent, probably 20-25 fps. Sure enough, the moment I zone into the sphere space, my framerate tanks to slideshow levels.

Oddly enough, this happened in another ex-Cryptic game, City of Heroes. Played fine in most zones, but some of the newer zones really killed my framerate.

Personally, I blame Matt Miller (Hiya Posi!) :)

Yeah, I don't expect anything to be done about it. The hard cold fact is that this workstation, while still great at running CADD software, is old. The video card hasn't had a driver release in at least 3 years, and Win XP 64 bit was never well-supported on drivers anyway, so I'm kinda thankful that it works at all. I just wish there was a way to turn off the fog and that funky checkerboard-in-the-sky around the minefield.
"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
--Red Annorax
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So what resolution are you running the game at??? For faster frame-rates, you can try dropping the screen resolution, which can significantly reduce the workload on the graphics system...
  • fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So what resolution are you running the game at??? For faster frame-rates, you can try dropping the screen resolution, which can significantly reduce the workload on the graphics system...

If his machine is like mine there's not much low he may go. In my case if I were to lower them, it would be to 800X600 :P

royalsovereign, I feel your pain! To be able to barely play at the sphere I had to move the slider all the way to "speed" and it's still in slow motion most of the times.
    Yet, it's positive that this game is structured in a way that even our old computers allow us to play (even if it's not a pretty experience). Most games would simply just not run.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    im running the game on a pc that wud have NO! problems (1GB GPU) with the Dyson area HOWEVER! i warp in and boom stutter and pc slows down massively

I have run this on a pc with 2GB GPU and that card has no issues so i think its a FPS issue as the game runs smoothly on every other map in game
    JtaDmwW.png
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not at my home machine now so I can't look - I think I run at 1024x768, so I could conceivably back off to 800x600, but honestly I don't think it'd help much. I think the main issue is all of the atmospheric effects. It'd be nice if there was a 'toggle' somewhere for those. I ran the second mission in the Rom Reputation, the one on top of the mountain. When I got to the last fight, I couldn't see anything at all. Just had to switch out of FPS mode and tab-target everything.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm not at my home machine now so I can't look - I think I run at 1024x768, so I could conceivably back off to 800x600, but honestly I don't think it'd help much. .....

It will help much more then you think, as graphics rendering load is based on a per pixel basis... So what's the difference in pixel count at a resolution of 1024x768 vs 800x600 ???