test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"A file was locked that could not be open for writing"

casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
Been trying to play for two hours. the last time I played was about four days ago, figures the first time I take a break in ages the game won't let me back in.

I click the exe to load up the game, and I see a launcher update worth 20MB. The updates goes down to 0, then all I see are two windows. One is the update window, saying "Trying to update the launcher. Please be patient. Tried connecting 1 time." It never changes.

The second message is a new popup window that states the title of this thread.

No, I don't have any antivirus or firewall switched on. Yes, I have full admin access on the computer.

What's going on?
Post edited by casbyness on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    casbyness wrote: »
    No, I don't have any antivirus or firewall switched on. Yes, I have full admin access on the computer.

What's going on?

Running in a account that has 'admin' rights, means you have the 'option' to run something as 'Administrator'... Take for example...

<right click on Launcher Icon> -> <select 'Run as administrator'>

which should solve your problem....
  • seazombie64seazombie64 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is there a way NOT to run in administrator mode and not get this issue? Running the game in admin mode causes other issues for me.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Is there a way NOT to run in administrator mode and not get this issue? Running the game in admin mode causes other issues for me.
    Please define "other issues".

The doctor won't help me when I say "when I press this spot, it hurts".
    edited January 2014
    The other issues are not directly STO. When I run STO in admin mode, I can't use my PTT button in TS3, which is ctrl, when STO is the active program. If I put STO in a window and click off of it so it is not the active program, then my TS3 works normally.
    edited January 2014
    And have you tried running TS3 as admin as well? This way both applications run as the same user. This may aleviate your problem.

And my apologier for my previous, somewhat grunt, reaction. Morning didn't start too well, and no coffee :mad: *sigh*.
    edited January 2014
    no offense taken :) When I run TS3 in admin mode, the Logitech setpoint doesn't function, then I have to put it in admin mode, then something else I can't remember borks....I am still new to Win7 and the whole admin mode concept so I am probably doing something the wrong/hard way.
    edited January 2014
    Other thing to do is looking which file it wants to open/read/write, and give the directory it's in read/write rights for your user or everyone...

Which, unfortunatly, is a security risk you have to take. Not really high of a risk, but a risk nonetheless.
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Without changing anything else, there IS something that fixes that. And you're NOT going to like it.

Arc. Doing the file verification through the launcher started by Arc avoids that problem.
    However, something on those maps is getting corrupted as soon as you leave, because the next time you try to return to those maps you'll instantly get a crash again.