test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

REAL Cosmic Slipstream or Transwarp Conduits?

psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Ten Forward
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/astronomers-capture-first-image-mysterious-180000277.html
This deep image shows the Nebula (cyan) with a size of 2 million light-years discovered around the quasar UM287 (at the center of the image). The energetic radiation of the quasar makes the surrounding intergalactic gas glow revealing the physical structure of a cosmic web filament.

For the first time, astronomers were able to see a string of hot gas known as a filament that is thought to be part of the mysterious underlying structure that dictates the layout of all the stars and galaxies in our universe.

Scientists believe that matter in the universe is arranged into a gigantic web-like structure. This is called the cosmic web.
Read the whole article and look at the images. Stokes the fires of the imagination doesn't it?
(/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
Post edited by psiameese on

Comments

• steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    actually, the first thought that I had was "massive navigational hazard".
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    there are those strings attached to all the galaxies, through dark matter... be interesting to see if they can be used for transport.
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    there are those strings attached to all the galaxies, through dark matter... be interesting to see if they can be used for transport.

Whenever astrophysicists start talking about the "cosmic web" and dark matter and energy, I wonder if 24th century folks will laugh at them the way we laugh at pre-Copernican astrologers.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
    edited January 2014
    I suspect astronomy will be but one science in a list for which the future will ridicule us.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I wonder too, but only time will tell
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If this exists throughout the universe and if it can be used as a way to travel around the universe, I wonder how fast we can travel inside and how would we be able to navigate?
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Reminds me of Slipstream from the tv show Andromeda
    edited January 2014
    raj011 wrote: »
    If this exists throughout the universe and if it can be used as a way to travel around the universe, I wonder how fast we can travel inside and how would we be able to navigate?

As I read this ^ , I'm picturing the sea turtle from Finding Nemo riding the underwater ocean current. lol :rolleyes:

There's be other issues to resolve though, such as the hot gas. How to keep from corrosion/incineration.
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As I read this ^ , I'm picturing the sea turtle from Finding Nemo riding the underwater ocean current. lol :rolleyes:

There's be other issues to resolve though, such as the hot gas. How to keep from corrosion/incineration.

lol, I am picturing that as well. How hot will the gases be?
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Reminds me of Slipstream from the tv show Andromeda
    That was the image that flashed through my mind when I composed the subject for the thread.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)