test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

This is what a 10,000 unit space battle looks like

truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Ten Forward
One day in the possible future, if the Star Trek IP can be translated to this engine.

The sky is the limit.

The Future Awaits
52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow.. :eek:
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    looks good, evem more glad i have mantle on my GPU now
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited January 2014
    This would definitely make a 2nd Dominion war look spectacular.

But really, looking at the demo, my first thought is...this would make a Homeworld MMO possible.
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, that's all well and good, but I don't see sto switching engines. Besides, unless you have a high end computer, or make some expensive modifications to a lower end one you own, it won't make a difference. My comp already has trouble running anything involving the dyson sphere as it is.
  • Options
    imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    my god.....
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah... it'd be interesting.... until you find yourself drawing agro from a dozen enemies. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah... it'd be interesting.... until you find yourself drawing agro from a dozen enemies. :P

I miss days like that back in the City of Heroes. Those were some really good tooth-and-nail fights :D
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its funny hearing the voiceover descirbing some of the features like they are special. Freelancer has had independent weapon models for +10 years. Each weapon is a unique model that attaches to the hull, and the model has its own rotation and firing arc restrictions that are separate from the hull restrictions. So things like, the hardpoint will not let a weapon shoot through the hull, and the weapon itself may also have its restriction because it is a gun or a torpedo launcher or a turret. When your target moves to the other side of the ship, all of the weapons turn independently and fire independently unless they are not able.

Something they should put into STO, actually. STO has interchangeable component technology too, as we see with the ship tailor, just for some reason they do not have interchangeable weapon mounts. Kind of silly to see ships with big cannons and turrets and stuff, and nothing coming out of them because they captain has mounted beams instead.
  • Options
    ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That looks good. Maybe STO can adapt it?
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The best part is, that video was already very similar to what STO does with its space battles, so it lends itself all too easily to the imagination, of how this game would operate on a system like that. It could be truly spectacular.

Realistically though, it would take far too much work. From the sound of it, Cryptics coding for the game is a bit of a mess, given how often they blame it for not adding features, or how often or much it breaks when they do. Some of it is just done in weird formats, for what ever reasons, like the character models which keeps us from pulling the models to 3D print. Also, from a business standpoint, they seem to be restricted to money based decisions, leaving some wanted updates for the devs to graciously do on their free time rather than being paid to make the game better as needed. On a personal note, i'm still hoping one of the artists would be gracious and kind enough to finish the Infected complexion so my characters can use all of the open uniforms i've bought and earned.

Over all though, i want this. This little video shows how the Space battles in STO could be improved by 100% as well as giving way to new visuals like actual turrets (both ground and space), as well as just allowing for bigger PvP matches and more epic story Battles where 20 people take on a single massive Cube, making the borg more like they should be rather than the watered down Voyager versions. An update to a system like this would do nothing but improve this games already fun (but mechanically messy) space combat, and is much needed. Please do this Cryptic.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This would definitely make a 2nd Dominion war look spectacular.

But really, looking at the demo, my first thought is...this would make a Homeworld MMO possible.

had the same thought considering that gearbox now owns the IP. i can also see disney taking the idea of the engine for their star wars games to show BoE style fights.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ricosakara wrote: »
    That looks good. Maybe STO can adapt it?

very much doubt it. PWE wanted the cryptic engine and to suddenly bash it away after buying cryptic outright and then further slap cryptic in the face by using this engine.. i dont see it working.
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    truewarper wrote: »
    One day in the possible future, if the Star Trek IP can be translated to this engine.

The sky is the limit.

The slide bars in STO would look awesome!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    had the same thought considering that gearbox now owns the IP.

Interesting. I did not know that. Have they stated any plans for a new work?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gameplay looks awesome, but the graphics look dated.
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its funny hearing the voiceover descirbing some of the features like they are special. Freelancer has had independent weapon models for +10 years. Each weapon is a unique model that attaches to the hull, and the model has its own rotation and firing arc restrictions that are separate from the hull restrictions. So things like, the hardpoint will not let a weapon shoot through the hull, and the weapon itself may also have its restriction because it is a gun or a torpedo launcher or a turret. When your target moves to the other side of the ship, all of the weapons turn independently and fire independently unless they are not able.

Something they should put into STO, actually. STO has interchangeable component technology too, as we see with the ship tailor, just for some reason they do not have interchangeable weapon mounts. Kind of silly to see ships with big cannons and turrets and stuff, and nothing coming out of them because they captain has mounted beams instead.

So does EVE. STO just does not like to actually put such things on our ships. For the beams it makes sense to keep them as they are but we could do with a few turrets.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »

Looks more stylized to me. I like it. I want my grubby paws on this thing.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »

Well its only a demo isn't it? I doubt they put as much art devlopment time into textures as an actual game would have
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    foxalpha5foxalpha5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very impressive.

Not necessary for STO though. It would be too much of a bother to bash the codes together. Better if designed from the ground up to support it.

Also it looks like it would require a very expensive computer to run, which I don't have. That would cut into profits as not everyone has or wants a super gaming computer.

DeltaFox
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It was an advertisement. A sales pitch. Which stated that all of this is still in development. It's looks very nice. But I neither own or need a gaming rig and I'm certainly not going to shell out the about four large for one it would take to enable taking advantage of this.

I'd rather pwe/cryptic spent the cash on improving what we have now. Which really isn't all that bad when all the settings are maxed out.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Interesting. I did not know that. Have they stated any plans for a new work?

yeah there are remakes for 1 and 2 on homeworld, not sure on cata. another company is doing homeworld shipbreakers, it was called hardware shipbreakers that had homeworld all over it anyways.