test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Inconvenience and Compensations: Hourly Events Issues

sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
Probably not gonna happen but I have a proposal for Cryptic on the eventual return of Hourly Events....

Because a lot of us are grinders on the hourly events the loss of it has made most of us not even work for the rep or any fleet anything unless we HAVE to. This means that your content isn't being used and players are ready to move on to another game because what little convince in consta-grind is now gone. So when it returns i propose...

1. The possibility of 500 of each mark split into 5, 100 boxes of your choice of marks
(based on and average of 20 bonus marks twice a day for 14 days rounded down to the nearest hundred)

2. 8k Dilitium
(a DRASTICALLY reduced sum based on what one can obtain in 2 weeks)

3. 1 million EC
(again, another paltry sum based on loot drops from all hourly event content absent from STO for 2 weeks)
Member of the "Disenchanted"
We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • Options
    curedmencuredmen Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sunseahl wrote: »
    Probably not gonna happen but I have a proposal for Cryptic on the eventual return of Hourly Events....

Because a lot of us are grinders on the hourly events the loss of it has made most of us not even work for the rep or any fleet anything unless we HAVE to. This means that your content isn't being used and players are ready to move on to another game because what little convince in consta-grind is now gone. So when it returns i propose...

1. The possibility of 500 of each mark split into 5, 100 boxes of your choice of marks
    (based on and average of 20 bonus marks twice a day for 14 days rounded down to the nearest hundred)

2. 8k Dilitium
    (a DRASTICALLY reduced sum based on what one can obtain in 2 weeks)

3. 1 million EC
    (again, another paltry sum based on loot drops from all hourly event content absent from STO for 2 weeks)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCUpiI1MSA
  • Options
    alan171717alan171717 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Did you factor in the Explore the Universe thingy? I used to get like half a mil a day from that, slow but nice way to grind.
    "I am a travelor of both time and space to be where I have been"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Let the trolls roll...

This is simply a logical proposal considering

1. We as customers spend money on this game(time is money too)

2. When something is broken cryptic LOSES money

3. Compensating inconvenience is something every other company does. Not doing so not only is disrespectful to the customer it also fuels hate for your brand by even people who have loyalty to that brand.
    alan171717 wrote: »
    Did you factor in the Explore the Universe thingy? I used to get like half a mil a day from that, slow but nice way to grind.

I started to... but I thought better of it because cryptic hates giving out anything "free" without some work involved by their customers.*

*see winter/summer events, anniversary episodes.
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You can apply wanting compensation to anything that is bugged or broken in STO. Ohh look a graphics glitch, Cryptic give me 8000 dil. Cryptic I'm fed up of seeing Material files reloaded every screen load, give me 8000 dil.

Wanting compensation, and getting comensation will never happen. Game bugs and breaks are something we all have to live and deal with and work around where possible, and where not possible just sit and wait and hope the Devs come up with a fix as soon as they can.

Too many players put too many demands on the Devs, without realising that sometimes the complexity in fixing things, The Devs like us are only human (ok I have doubts about Taco :P) and only have one pair of hands.

Be grateful for the work the Devs do because without them we wouldn't have STO at all.

There is also a minority of players that seem to forget that Cryptic does do compensation. If during an event a bug is created that prevents players from completing said event, when the bug or glitch is fixed the event is almost always extended in order to give those players effected to opportunity to complete it. This in itself is Cryptic acknowledeging responsibily to their players.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No offense, but I always consider claims for compensation rather over-entitled.

Having said that, not restarting the calendar is just a weird thing to do. And while I think asking for compensation is too much, the absence *does* affect people.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Compensation? No.

The ones that play this game for fun don't miss out on a lot. The grinders will keep grinding, no matter what. And anyway, how to calculate compensation? What for the people who were on holidays and wouldn't get anything in any case? What for the people who grind less in 2 weeks than what you have said?

I don't need compensation. I just want it fixed. Compensation for being in a cruiser with the FAW debacle? No, I just want it fixed and I'll be happy.

What would be appreciated though is something of a daily update to where we stand with the fixes.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hilarious.

I expect 8,000 dilth every time the graphic glitch causes my screen to white out forcing me to alt-tab to desktop... and CTRL-ALT-DEL the game.

Since the season launched... let see... quick calculation...

Well lets call it 47,329,158 dilth. Refined of course. I ain't grinding that once day at a time.

And lets see... 25 of each mark whenever I get SNR'd out of the game because of the Verizon/Congent bottleneck issue. Thats... well... my math shows.... a nice eve 738,500 marks total.

Oh and I should be compensated for the latest fiasco. I'm a casual grinder, the loss of the daily mark event doesn't really bother me all that much. HOWEVER I am subject to the inane whinging of the power-grinders and the OMG-babies who only grind when they get an extra entitlement-reward for doing so.

Therefore I should get a playable Borg Tactical Cube with 14 Commander Universal BOFF slots, integrated LOLCRIT Torpedo launcher and OMGWHUT plasma-cannons. It will have 10 forward weapons, 10 aft weapons, four warp-cores, six shield slots, 50 each engineering, science and tactical slots and come with My Little Pony Pink hull material.

I will call it Fluffy, and I will take it to the Warzone and teach the PVPers the true meaning of spawn-camp. :cool:
  • Options
    vocmcpvocmcp Member Posts: 1,134 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lol................:rolleyes:

I don't see any compensation to be necessary at all. The events not being in place is a minor inconvenience at best. You loose out on a couple of marks, so what? It all works apart from that. Besides the point, you can now choose the content you want to play with much greater liberty.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    You can apply wanting compensation to anything that is bugged or broken in STO. Ohh look a graphics glitch, Cryptic give me 8000 dil. Cryptic I'm fed up of seeing Material files reloaded every screen load, give me 8000 dil.

Wanting compensation, and getting comensation will never happen. Game bugs and breaks are something we all have to live and deal with and work around where possible, and where not possible just sit and wait and hope the Devs come up with a fix as soon as they can.

Too many players put too many demands on the Devs, without realising that sometimes the complexity in fixing things, The Devs like us are only human (ok I have doubts about Taco :P) and only have one pair of hands.

Be grateful for the work the Devs do because without them we wouldn't have STO at all.

Flaws or breaks in any product are met with repair and compensation that's standard practice. From the company paying the shipping dime for the transport to an authorized repairer to compensation in the form of a payback or refund for the dissatisfaction. What makes anyone think that an internet product doesn't need to be met with the same kind of product to consumer treatment?

Believing that an online product should be treated differently than a physical one is only entitling Cryptic to be the lazy gits that everyone already complains about.

meimeitoo wrote: »
    No offense, but I always consider claims for compensation rather over-entitled.

Having said that, not restarting the calendar is just a weird thing to do. And while I think asking for compensation is too much, the absence *does* affect people.

What makes Cryptic think it's "entitled" to Not follow standard compensation practices for physical products, especially being a US-based company?

Granted there are always instances that require more scrutiny than others, but when you have a MAJOR game mechanic flaw there needs to be some kind of compensation or at least an intense interaction between consumers and product manufactures...

Look at EVE Online.... a bug pops up.. they don't take two weeks to fix it with no word on how/what happened. They fix it as soon as they get note of it (even on holidays) and if it's going to take weeks to fix they keep their customers WELL informed on what's going on with the update. If it does take that long to correct they even compensate their consumers for not just the inconvenience but the time lost for that game.

There is and always has been an utter lack of competent communication between Cryptic and it's customers. What little we DID have in the form of an Ask Cryptic was removed because of the OBVIOUS rehash of the same questions over and over. It's proposed replacement was then promptly swept under the rug, never to be heard from again...

"Oh there's a major game mechanic that's broken right now? Who cares! Lest not talk about it and LIVESTREAM instead! And i'm giving away TRIBBLE too so forget all about that bug where you can't make dili or more marks or EC or get cheaper crafting supplies!" Am I the only one who sees the absurdity in this?

rahmkota19 wrote: »
    Compensation? No.

The ones that play this game for fun don't miss out on a lot. The grinders will keep grinding, no matter what. And anyway, how to calculate compensation? What for the people who were on holidays and wouldn't get anything in any case? What for the people who grind less in 2 weeks than what you have said?

I don't need compensation. I just want it fixed. Compensation for being in a cruiser with the FAW debacle? No, I just want it fixed and I'll be happy.

What would be appreciated though is something of a daily update to where we stand with the fixes.

Cryptic has always had a lack of communication with their consumers where STO is concerned. It's even worse when it comes to "fixing" things.(because it seems that the people who are working on STO simply don't give a damn about fixing it unless they have to and it's all the "new" people that are working on other games that seem to find and fix these "old" bugs.)
    themarie wrote: »
    Hilarious.

I expect 8,000 dilth every time the graphic glitch causes my screen to white out forcing me to alt-tab to desktop... and CTRL-ALT-DEL the game.

Stop being a jackass... >.>

we're talking about game mechanics of an online product... not a visual disability with your computer.(which you should probably look into)
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only "compensation" i would ask for is friday, saturday and sunday, all events are active.

That is it.

No "free" anything, just the events running constantly for 3 days and then proceed back to their normal schedule.

Nothing more, no free dil, no free zen, nothing.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Events are a very, very minor part of the game. Whilst I wouldn't be averse to seeing the bonus's from events doubling for a week or two once they're reinstated, I'm not in the least bit bothered if they don't give us anything.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic don't owe us anything.

Here are a few quotes from the terms of service, that thing no-one bothers to read but we sign it anyway:
    18. Interruption of Service

(a) PWE reserves the right to interrupt the Service from time to time on a regularly scheduled basis or otherwise with or without prior notice in order to perform maintenance. You agree that PWE will not be liable for any interruption of the Service, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
    (b) You acknowledge that the Service may be interrupted for reasons beyond the control of PWE, and PWE cannot guarantee that you will be able to access the Services or your Account whenever you may wish to do so. PWE shall not be liable for any interruption of the Services, delay or failure to perform resulting from any causes whatsoever.
    (c) PWE has the right at any time with or without reason to change and/or eliminate any aspect(s) of the Services as it sees fit in its sole discretion.
    (d) PWE is not be obligated to refund all or any portion of any Account fee (if any), by reason of any interruption of the Services by reason of any of the circumstances described in paragraph (a) or (b).

And also:
    21. Acknowledgements

(c) You may not hold PWE responsible for any loss resulting from your use of the Service or any in-game trading activities. You may not hold PWE responsible for any information that is passed between players. PWE does not guarantee the safe keeping of information that is passed between players and will not be held responsible for any resulting losses or consequences arising from the improper use of said information. You may not hold PWE responsible for any in-game feature or item loss. PWE does not guarantee the availability of any in-game items, any Services or any levels to players.

You can argue until the cows come home but compensation isn't a thing, and apparently every single player agrees with these practices since we sign the terms in the first place.

Got to love smallprint :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »

Though I'm certain it doesn't apply in this case, T&C's are always trumped by law. Cryptic, PWE, whoever can state what they like in the smallprint, but if it comes into conflict with the law, the law will win 100% of the time.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Let the trolls roll...

This is simply a logical proposal considering

1. We as customers spend money on this game(time is money too)

2. When something is broken cryptic LOSES money

3. Compensating inconvenience is something every other company does. Not doing so not only is disrespectful to the customer it also fuels hate for your brand by even people who have loyalty to that brand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdCUpiI1MSA
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Cryptic don't owe us anything.

Here are a few quotes from the terms of service, that thing no-one bothers to read but we sign it anyway:

And also:

You can argue until the cows come home but compensation isn't a thing, and apparently every single player agrees with these practices since we sign the terms in the first place.

Read that again sweetheart...

That's Perfect World... not Cryptic. As Cryptic is the business I'm having an issue with my complaints still stand. Nowhere in the TOS does it say that Cryptic, as a company, isn't responsible... Just PWE, the parent company.

Legal loopholes FTW.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

That's Perfect World... not Cryptic. As Cryptic is the business I'm having an issue with my complaints still stand. Nowhere in the TOS does it say that Cryptic, as a company, isn't responsible... Just PWE, the parent company.

Legal loopholes FTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qSVb9bQeqM
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    there is no way anyone is getting compensation because of the potential loss of 20% or whatever it works out on of free in game currency, especially when there is a winter event going on that is handing out marks like candy through the eppoh tags.

yes people are inconvenienced by it, but you are losing out on obtaining extra of their currency which they dont even have to offer. you are not losing your real world currency. you wont get compensation on a currency that does not belong to you.

It's a bug and bug affects the game all the time and all of this is covered in the TOS. You are welcome to ask but we're not getting anything for it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    there is no way anyone is getting compensation because of the potential loss of 20% or whatever it works out on of free in game currency, especially when there is a winter event going on that is handing out marks like candy through the eppoh tags.

yes people are inconvenienced by it, but you are losing out on obtaining extra of their currency which they dont even have to offer. you are not losing your real world currency. you wont get compensation on a currency that does not belong to you.

It's a bug and bug affects the game all the time and all of this is covered in the TOS. You are welcome to ask but we're not getting anything for it.

http://pandawhale.com/post/29616/well-done-sir-reaction-gifs
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Legal loopholes FTW.

I'm not interested in getting into arguments over semantics here, but it does state on the official Cryptic website that they have been a 'wholly owned subsidiary' of PW since August 2011.

And their terms are on the STO website, so therefore relevant for this product.

Again, not picking fights or anything, but be sure to check before having an opinion sweetheart
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Most likely form of compensation is an extension of the Christmas/Winter event.

They may combine something into the Anniversary event, but pretty much that will occur when it was scheduled to occur.
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You know, I would understand compensation... IF we actually lost some tangible/real world item/currency.

Dilithium to Zen does not count as real world currency... you are investing your FREE TIME to play a game. The servers were up, you had access, and you were able to run missions as normal, granted no bonus hour.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    bladeofkahlessbladeofkahless Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only "compensation" i would ask for is friday, saturday and sunday, all events are active.

That is it.

No "free" anything, just the events running constantly for 3 days and then proceed back to their normal schedule.

Nothing more, no free dil, no free zen, nothing.

I think this is completely reasonable. Not asking for anything crazy, but it's a nice little something extra for those who feel like they've lost progress.
    Great idea :)

The only way I feel affected, personally, is the lack of the mirror event for expertise (for rep). Other than that, I'm just keeping on trucking. (Starshipping?)

If nothing, then hey... it is what it is.
    But a gesture of good faith can go a long way for morale.

Throwing in Q XP weekend would be the cherry on top.
    Then I'd finally make that Andorian I've been dreading leveling :D

It's me, Chrome. [Join Date: May 2009]

"Oh, I may be captain by rank... but I never wanted to be anything else but an engineer." ~Montgomery Scott~
  • Options
    otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The fleet I'm in has most certainly felt this bug, as we have trouble getting fleet marks.

The fleet is not big, so the events going AWOL has hit us hard, relatively speaking.

Would compensation be nice? Sure it would. Will we get compensation? Who knows, but probably not more than an excuse from Cryptic/PWE.

Does this suck? Yes, as it should not have happened in the first place.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Why is this thread three pages long? Why is the OP trying to argue his/her point?

Let's just get to the point and end it: No, OP.

It's not going to happen. There have been countless threads before this asking/demanding/begging for some kind of compensation, and it has never happened in the past, nor will it happen now or in the future. It simply won't happen. You can break out all the sweet propositions and claims and whatever else you learned in high school debate, but the end result will be the same: No.

There. Thread can close now.

Goonswarm affiliations aside Nabreeki, your point is flawed. Time and again there have been bugs or issues to which special events have been extended by whole weeks. The hourly event calendar is just that, a special event that's in constant rotation. Not having it is a detriment to some people, many of who, only earn what they do in STO by it's cycle....

If the winter event was broken for 2 weeks all hell would be unleashed here... Same for the summer event. Just because it is an event that is always on doesn't make it any LESS important when it's broken or make the losses occurred for it's absence any less significant..
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    otowi wrote: »
    The fleet I'm in has most certainly felt this bug, as we have trouble getting fleet marks.

Each of your fleet member can easily get 100-300 a day by breeding Eppohs via the Fast & Flurious race, so whilst yes, you've lost out on one source, coincidentally another is available to you at this time. The (likely) fact that your fleet members are instead cashing them in for marks they can use for themselves is another matter entirely.

Yes. This bug should not have occurred, but it has. Its (apparently) planned to be fixed in the first patch to be released since it broke (though it currently is still broken on the Tribble test server).
    nabreeki wrote: »
    There. Thread can close now.

My, what arrogance...
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Did the game break down and die for a week? No. Did it prevent you from playing? No.

News flash, people use to play without hourly bonus events on stuff. It is not necessary nor does Cryptic owe you anything if the event calendar gets bugged out.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png