test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lag-Freeze is Still an Ongoing Issue!!!!

sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I missed out massively on "Sphere of Influence" due to Lag holding me prisoner for over a month. It was not until the last week leading to the Winter Event that my characters (any/all factions) could leave the spot they were in prior to Season 8's launch.

Now this situation is plaguing my experience with the Winter Event and as a consequence of this i am too far behind to get this year's ship. Sometimes lag is so bad i can't even get to the starting line. Others, its lag or rubberbanding that strikes in the final stretch of the Race, causing a loss from either being unable to move at all as the NPC passes me to cross the finish line or rubberbanding catapults me off of the course!
Lag-Freeze has also reared its ugly head in the Snowmen battles, even making me unable to participate at all on more than a few occasions.
Lag-Freeze is most prevalent in the Winter Wonderland and Factional Hubs (ESD/First City/NRC).

Additionally, as of the 518MB Patch on Thursday, 19 Dec 2013, my chars are moving choppy and slower and the NPC racer is faster and smooth as ever.

I do not now if i can be patient much longer. With the many chars i was racing (nay, attempting to race) and the many hours investing in said attempts, i should have accomplished far more than i did. One char has completed 4 races; the average is 2.6 races completed. I should be much farther along at what, 3 weeks in? I've been trying to play almost every day from day 1. This performance is a massive dissappointment and i must give the 2013 Wnter Event a failing grade. If i cannot get satisfaction from the events i was looking forward to, why should i even bother to waste my time trying the new features?

I will attempt the in-game bug report later.

Incidentally, there is another ongoing issue. If more than one player signals the race official to start, only the last one to 'wave in' is teleported to the starting line; the other is not teleported and is automatically disqualified for being off the course. It is annoying having to wait until there is no-one else around to be 'safe' to wave the Race official, but having to restart mission is worse and longer.
4073703.jpg
[SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
=A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
Post edited by sarvour0 on

Comments

• edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Again.

Nobody is experimentint lag issues, only a couple of guys like you. You know what this means right??

That is not problem of the game. Cheers.
    edited December 2013
    Same as before. If 95% of the users are NOT having lag issues, the problem is not the game. I started playing just when S8 started, and i never never never experimented lag issues. Just 1 freeze in the dyson sphere in 4 months. The "server not responding" is something that is natural to happen time by time, since the servers are not perfect, and maybe u get a "server not responding" once every 24 hours. That is completely normal in any game. If you just cant play due to the lag, im pretty sure is not a problem of the game.

And no, "A LOT" of players are not suffering for this. Anyways, they must be really shy , cuz i dont see so many lag posts anyways.

As you could assume, cryptic is not going to change their servers or their isp just becasue 10% of the people has lag issues. Most of the times, those lag issues are problems caused by the very users, not cryptic. Maybe your isp is not handling the traffic as it should, maybe u have other programs opened while you play the game, maybe u have an antivirus activated when u playing the game,, and an infinite ETC.
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    not everyone who suffers these issues bother with the forums. After plugging away for an hour or more at a game beinng unplayable, they may or may not bother with the in-game bug report before they go to bed/work/school/whatever. And some see the forums as a total waste of time. Probably from pundits that go to ridiculous lengths to invalidate legitimate complaints.

PWE's mission statement for STO is that it is available to everyone who wants to play it. Yet that has not been the experience of more than 15% of the community (by my estimate). I strongly doubt you speak for the company, either Cryptic or PWE.

I look forward to an official response from one of their staff on this matter. Not Yours.
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • dragonsbitedragonsbite Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Typically it's a routing issue. For me if my connection is routed thru tata communications or cogent i'm pretty much screwed. And it's not just STO. My ISP claims they can't do jack. This is beyond frustrating. I had to quit another game as i could not avoid AOE attacks during a raid and i was just a handicap to the raid. At least in this game i can still be an effective player 90% of the time. Do a traceroute and see what servers you're going thru and see which is the culprit.

FYI you can use servers from companies such as WTFast for example. I would suggest using the free 30 day trial and see if this corrects your issue. It did for me btw. But i can't afford to pay even the small monthly fee of 6 bucks. And it isn't perfect as some of their servers go down mid game play now and then and you have to choose another server. But i would highly suggest giving it a shot to at least see if it corrects the issues you're having.
    U.S. ARMY CAVALRY SCOUT/DRAGOON DISABLED VETERAN
  • geekdavidgeekdavid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I play several MMOs and this is the only one I have this problem with.

Now, are you going to tell me that it's my ISP, or is it the game?

PerfectWorld has done quite a lot to TRIBBLE me off, this is just the latest.
  • zoneout0399zoneout0399 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    my internet speed is high and my computer can handle the game and I've played it for a while now but 2 days ago it got really slow and started to lag really bad. I checked my internet connection speed and its the same as it was before, I checked my computer and nothing is wrong with it. I even tried running the game on its lowest settings and there still is a lot of lag for example I start moving then go to max impulse then a few seconds later I end up right back at my starting point this happens everywhere in space, on earthspacedock, on ground missions and I even got penalties in PvE queues since I had no control over my character. I don't know what's going on but its definitely not problems with my computer or my internet.

does anyone have any idea on what the problem could be?

thanks
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think a lot of people DO get these issues but they seem to be sporadic.
    I've had brief instances where I get lag and rubber banding but it seems to clear.

First things first, all those who say they have tested their broadband speed and its fine, this isn't a speed/bandwidth issue. Its a routing problem.

Secondly the routing problem may not be with your ISP, in fact you can usually guarantee that. The routing problem is outside of the sphere of control of your ISP

Thirdly I doubt this will be the Cryptic ISP because they most likely dont have one. Their servers/Shards are colocated in a data center, in fact it might be multiple datacentres, that provides the connection and bandwidth to them. If the problem were there then we would all be seeing the symptoms.

The problem I would guess is "in the cloud". Cogent seems to rear its ugly head more than a little when issues like this arise.

To those people who are experiencing the problems the best course of action its to do a traceroute from the windows command prompt to the cryptic patch server and forward that to support. There may be something they can do to bring pressure on the infrastructure companies to fix the issue.
    server_hamster6.png
    edited December 2013
    Need to say yesterday i experimented lag - banding issues for the first time. It was for about 10 minutes or so, but i never experimented it.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been plagued by this issue myself alot. Sometimes I cannot even load my character screen :(
  • wolfpacknzwolfpacknz Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Again.

Nobody is experimentint lag issues, only a couple of guys like you. You know what this means right??

That is not problem of the game. Cheers.

I actually know quite a few people getting lag issues, myself included as of late. Not sure where you get your info from but rest assured it IS an issue and one that needs addressed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ***Disenchanted***
    Real Join Date: Monday, 17 May 2010
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Can't say I've had any problems with severe lag or rubberbanding. Occasionally, yes, rubberbanding does occur, but its rare, and nearly all of my server not responding messages are in the loading screen when I enter a zone or area I haven't ever been in or haven't been in for a while. Never had a problem with game freeze. Its clearly not a problem on cryptics end. Perhaps your modem/router needs to be reset?
  • explorerbigjonexplorerbigjon Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Finished STS Elite with no problems and then I hit normal CCE and had lagged out the whole event not able to do anything except skip around when it would pick up and throw me halfway through the map and then hit with an AFK Penalty...Stupid but whatever...So now I'm sitting on my butt waiting for the penalty to run out so I can play another event.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Finished STS Elite with no problems and then I hit normal CCE and had lagged out the whole event not able to do anything except skip around when it would pick up and throw me halfway through the map and then hit with an AFK Penalty...Stupid but whatever...So now I'm sitting on my butt waiting for the penalty to run out so I can play another event.

This happened to me three times last night. Eventually I just stopped playing. My other games were unaffected.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have had this issue a good bit, and did in-game tickets. All I get back is an email saying thank you for reporting it, and a few links that don't help. Today, I was online the same time as many of my fellow fleet members. Some in other countries, and some in the same one, just a different time zone. We were all suffering from it, even when we were not teaming for missions.

I tried other games, and they work.

About the issue with the race where others are signaling the same time, causing a fail but they get to race, this is an exploit they are using, and they need to be reported. There is a reason they are doing it.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • crownvic351crownvic351 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes for all you people that say u are not getting the lag, what video card are you using? Cryptic knows when it "fixed" some nvidia card issues it destroyed other cards. They have a list of affected cards but will not release them. I my self have a brand new radeon r7 260x and the game is imposable to play now. We know that cryptic tried to tell us that we were over working our cards and to change the post processing setting.. .Cut the BS so if we were over working them y didn't they act like this before??
    Before season 8 I had a little 512 ram card and I could play the game with only a few lag issues in bright areas and some ground battles. Now I can't do a KASE CURE or anything that has large amounts of small objects such as warping into dranza it freaks out.
    Every time I get these issues my GPU LOAD DROPS TO 0% then game will resume and GPU load will jump back up to 60% This happens in places like in the first reactor room in BREACH running around any ground place esd you name it same garbage... GPU droping to 0%..So fix the graphic card coding that was screwed up because you can't tell me this 2 gig ddr5 card with 1075mhz gpu clock speed can't handle the load when my stock old 5450 use to run the game basically flawlessly before season 8. Explain that every one who says its the internet conection.. Also don't tell me that my card is running out of power cause its a brand new 600 watt power supply..

P.S. I run other games such as world of tanks with 0 lag issues and I can turn the that game up to the max.. This one doesn't matter if I run it on the bare minimum it acts the same..