test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Training Boffs Through Other Players?

furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
edited December 2013 in The Academy
I'm always hearing about the ability to having other players train your Boffs in abilities that you might not have access to due to your choice of captain career path, and I've seen several people asking for training for their Boffs in chat before, but how does this work exactly?

How does one trade their Boff to another player? Can they be stuffed in the mail box, or does one have to trade face to face?

Is it possible for a malicious player to just keep the Boff once it's been traded to them, without training it, and without giving it back to the original player?

Is there some sort of monetary compensation expected in exchange for training another person's Boff?
"There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
Post edited by furiontassadar on

Comments

• Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    How does one trade their Boff to another player? Can they be stuffed in the mail box, or does one have to trade face to face?

Is it possible for a malicious player to just keep the Boff once it's been traded to them, without training it, and without giving it back to the original player?

You can only do it face-to-face through the trade window and the Boff has to be comissioned. There are a small number of Boffs which are bind on pickup, which means you can't trade them and a few are unique, so the person you trade it to can't have a comissioned Boff of that type himself. (Jem'Hadar Boff for example).

It's possible that a bad character will keep you Boff, but I've never had it happen so far and my guess is that it's not a common practice, since you can't sell comissioned Boffs on the exchange and even then is the value of most Boffs rather low. If you are concerned, though, ask around your fleet, a well-known face in your chat-channel or perhaps someone from a fleet you trust.

Besides the fact that another person can train certain skills, it's also nice to know that another person can contribute skill points. It's not so much an issue at max level, but it's nice to have Boffs with their Tier 1 skills maxed out, when you start levelling at Level 1 for example.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the reply, but, and my apologies for my newbiness, what exactly does "it has to be commissioned" mean? And how can I tell if I have a commissioned Boff or not?
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the reply, but, and my apologies for my newbiness, what exactly does "it has to be commissioned" mean? And how can I tell if I have a commissioned Boff or not?

When you press "U" and move to the "stations"-tab, you'll get an overview of your Boffs like this:

http://i.imgur.com/6KPniDi.jpg?1

On the left hand are your boffs on active duty, those which you can equip, train, skill up, rename, tailor and use both on your ship and on ground missions. Those are considered "commissioned".

On the right hand you have a list titled "Bridge Officer Candidates". Those are "uncomissioned". You can't use or edit them, unless you right-click and "commission" them, but you can sell them on the exchange, for example.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bridge officers that are on your crew are commissioned. By crew, I mean bridge officers you can select for away teams and boff stations.

To get a boff trained. Strip him/her of all gear, open a trade with a person able to train the boff. Drag the boff to the trade window and press accept.

The trainer person will do his thing and trade the boff back. Some issues occur with rrw boffs and kdf/fed trainers, as well as the above mentioned "unique" boffs.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    When you press "U" and move to the "stations"-tab, you'll get an overview of your Boffs like this:

http://i.imgur.com/6KPniDi.jpg?1

On the left hand are your boffs on active duty, those which you can equip, train, skill up, rename, tailor and use both on your ship and on ground missions. Those are considered "commissioned".

On the right hand you have a list titled "Bridge Officer Candidates". Those are "uncomissioned". You can't use or edit them, unless you right-click and "commission" them, but you can sell them on the exchange, for example.

*facepalm* I really am a tool. If I had spent 5 seconds staring at the Stations tab, I should have been able to figure all that out. -_-

Ah well, thanks for answering, anyway. >_<

dahminus wrote: »
    Bridge officers that are on your crew are commissioned. By crew, I mean bridge officers you can select for away teams and boff stations.

To get a boff trained. Strip him/her of all gear, open a trade with a person able to train the boff. Drag the boff to the trade window and press accept.

The trainer person will do his thing and trade the boff back. Some issues occur with rrw boffs and kdf/fed trainers, as well as the above mentioned "unique" boffs.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation of the actual trading process.

Speaking of "unique" Boffs, would Tovan Khev be counted as "unique" or one of those Boffs that is difficult to trade to train up?