test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flanking a Borg ship

misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Ten Forward
With all this debate about flanking I have a very important and fun question for all of you:

What does the flank of a Borg Cube, Sphere or Diamond look like?:)
Post edited by misterde3 on

Comments

• z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In the series flanking a borg vessel is redundant, ingame you first have to fire at the shields to get a reference point for the aft.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The flank of a ship is the bottom shield facing. Just look at your target's icon and the arrow showing which shield facing you attack.

With cubes and spheres, there's an unfortunate trouble in that they rotate continuously.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If a Borg ship is flying towards you, you're looking at its fore shield. The aft shield is behind it.

If the Borg ship is flying away from you, you are hitting its aft shield facing.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Borg should be immune to flanking but oh well.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2013
    The concept of flanking a starship is Laffable
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    *sigh* since the word fun, the smiley and the fact I put this in Ten Forward rather than General Discussion where we could discuss game mechanics were not enough indication to show this is a fun thread and not meant to be taken serious...I need to work on emphasis a but more.
    Maybe we need bigger smileys.

Anyway I was looking for something humorous like "have your Liberated Borg listen in on the collective".

So here's what really happend during the battle in "First Contact":

PICARD: This is Captain Picard of the Enterprise. I am taking command of the fleet. Target all of your weapons onto the following coordinates. ...Fire on my command.
    DATA: Sir, the coordinates you have indicated do not appear to be a vital system.
    PICARD: Flaking Bonus Data.
    RIKER: The fleet's responded, sir. They're standing by.
    PICARD: Fire.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Oh! I know! We'll start a thread demanding the Dev Team places the word "Flank" in big white glowy letters on the sides of the Cubes and Spheres. You know, just exactly like the big bright glowy shafts of light which come off drops so we don't miss them.

Then we can watch with glee as someone explains in excruciating detail how this makes the Cubes and Spheres OP because since this patch was installed we always Fail the Optional.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »
    *sigh* since the word fun, the smiley and the fact I put this in Ten Forward rather than General Discussion where we could discuss game mechanics were not enough indication to show this is a fun thread and not meant to be taken serious...I need to work on emphasis a but more.

Anyway I was looking for something humorous like "have your Liberated Borg listen in on the collective".

So here's what really happend during the battle in "First Contact":

PICARD: This is Captain Picard of the Enterprise. I am taking command of the fleet. Target all of your weapons onto the following coordinates. ...Fire on my command.
    DATA: Sir, the coordinates you have indicated do not appear to be a vital system.
    PICARD: Flaking Bonus Data.
    RIKER: The fleet's responded, sir. They're standing by.
    PICARD: Fire.

Nope nope, Picard just had a pug group that actually listened to him and they fired at the same target on the same side as instructed! What was the outcome, score! Except for the dork who flew up next to the exploding Cube, I know there are Role Players among us, but you don't have to do that every time, it's like the writers where making fun of you, lolz. :rolleyes:
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
    edited December 2013
    misterde3 wrote: »

Apologies, I sorta ignore smileys, I entirely ignore the forum categories and fighting the Borg seems funny to me either way.

Given how many people have been asking similar questions (and I believe plenty of them were serious), I just shot a simple and fast answer.

And since I have nothing witty to say, have fun!
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.

• alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Maybe every side is the flank.

On a more serious note, I wish they would add indicators so you could tell which of your shields is facing the enemy, and which of your enemy's shields is facing you.
    edited December 2013
    Maybe every side is the flank.

On a more serious note, I wish they would add indicators so you could tell which of your shields is facing the enemy, and which of your enemy's shields is facing you.

Read my previous comment, the second part is in game.

Oh, and maybe they could make the Borg adapt easily by always having their flank on the opposite side than you're shooting at. Would require teams to split and attack opposite sides. :)

• misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    toiva wrote: »
    Read my previous comment, the second part is in game.

Oh, and maybe they could make the Borg adapt easily by always having their flank on the opposite side than you're shooting at. Would require teams to split and attack opposite sides. :)

Triaxilating shield geometry comes to mind.:) [VOY:"Dark Frontier"]
    Your idea also resembles the Voth walker thingies with the shield projector.