test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

supposed new ranks

uncharted2420uncharted2420 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
There's an article by Dan Stahl in ten of August in 2012 about new ranks

Rank increase to Admiral / General (level 60)

Ability to command a task force of other starships captained by your bridge officers
Revamped versions of Typhoon & Jupiter class dreadnoughts is a possibility

And yet I've seen no progress made on that and to my knowledge there is virtually nothing more recent about anything towards that rank increase. Is anyone else out there as curious as I am wondering when are we going to get the new ranks? as I'm tired of hearing Cryptic's standard definition of "It's in the works" or something Generic. Is it that hard to cough up something specific with date, time, this season sometime or next season?
Post edited by uncharted2420 on

Comments

• madviolamadviola Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Although I'm not a Cryptic dev, I write software for a living. While I agree that Cryptic tends to be very ambiguous, a feature driven development model says "what can we get written and tested by XYZ date?". If they think an additional 10 levels would take too much effort away from the main thrust of what they are trying to release, then it will probably be sidelined. Now, to completely contradict myself, using that same software development model, a team could be assigned to that particular task that would be released at a later date. It just depends on what the dev team sets as a priority.

I for one would absolutely LOVE to be able to command a task force! :D
  • mandoknight89mandoknight89 Member Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Is it that hard to cough up something specific with date, time, this season sometime or next season?
    Yes.

If it's in the works, marketing (and past experience) won't let them spill the beans until they decide it's ready to be revealed (which is generally a month or so in advance of the release). When they're ready to start talking about it, they'll start talking about it.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They will do nothing that risks people's ship and equipment purchases becoming obsolete. Dstahl (or some other dev) said that this year. That means they won't raise level cap or introduce T6 ships, ever. Or at least not 2014.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I heard a rumor the level cap will raise with S9, but that is jsut that, a rumor. maybe they are working on fixing space NPC "pet" ai before trying to give you a whole fleet.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »
    They will do nothing that risks people's ship and equipment purchases becoming obsolete. Dstahl (or some other dev) said that this year. That means they won't raise level cap or introduce T6 ships, ever. Or at least not 2014.

They could raise the lvl cap without adding a 6th starship tier.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    angrytarg wrote: »

they will likely only introduce the fact that at level 60, mk XII items will become a little more common, but still make purples hard to find. they dont need to raise the ship tier at all if they are giving you fleets to command in missions, higher level enemies + away team in space (AKA FLeet) = roughly same challenge as now. as you will have more weapons on target without having to group up to do the content.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Unless they also plan on taking us out of the captain's chair and have us flying a desk, they need to stop increasing rank cap along with level cap. In fact, they need to divorce character rank from character level entirely. We command a single ship, therefore we are captains, not admirals.

It's fine to have the player as an admiral or general in an RTS. STO is not an RTS.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm not going to grind for top gear again.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Would like some new stuff ... yeah.

Maybe as for the next expansion, each side gets 5 unique missions, with a new FE series!

Oh and MOOOAAARRRR pves / pvps / STFs please.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There's an article by Dan Stahl in ten of August in 2012 about new ranks

Rank increase to Admiral / General (level 60)

Ability to command a task force of other starships captained by your bridge officers
    Revamped versions of Typhoon & Jupiter class dreadnoughts is a possibility

And yet I've seen no progress made on that and to my knowledge there is virtually nothing more recent about anything towards that rank increase. Is anyone else out there as curious as I am wondering when are we going to get the new ranks? as I'm tired of hearing Cryptic's standard definition of "It's in the works" or something Generic. Is it that hard to cough up something specific with date, time, this season sometime or next season?

old news.

would rather have the ranks:

cadet 1st class (1)
    ensign (2-10)
    lt. jg. (11-20)
    lt. (21-30)
    lt. cmdr. (31-40)
    cmdr. (41-45) should extra grades of 10 come at some point then it should go from 41-50.
    capt. (46-50) 51-60 for example.

dont want to see thousands of admirals floating around.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.