test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dyson Sphere storyline - (some spolierness)

casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
I just lost touch with my own character. They are doing/saying things that I don't agree with.

Before I explain and go into spoilers - what I'm discussing is the story that you progress through, via quick cutscene "missions", as you hit Tier I, II and III in the Dyson Sphere rep system. I'm not at Tier IV yet, so have no idea what happens next. So far I've reached Tier III.

SPOILERS...(if you are not at Tier III and don't want to know the content of the next cut scene, look away!)

Okay, so I'm at Tier III. For the past couple of cut scenes, I've made contact with a Voth scientist and we've been discussing the Sphere. He seemed like a nice enough chap at first, wanting to share knowledge and work out a peaceful resolution to the (frankly ridiculous) war going on between the Voth and "Joint Command" forces, but during the Tier III cutscene things suddenly take a new and baffling turn.

The Voth guy says he's afraid of his incompetent colleagues activating the Sphere. This is because he thinks the original inhabitants did something that damaged the star within the Sphere and left a huge cloud of Tetryon particles all over the place, causing mass deaths and who knows what other mischief.

Because of his belief that this accident occurred, he thinks the Voth and/or Joint Command will repeat the mistake and create another long-lasting catastrophe. Apparently, he thinks that if the original inhabitants could cause an accident then there's no way the current Voth/human/Romulan/etc scientists will avoid doing such a thing as well. As a result, he wants to make sure the Sphere is never activated.

My reaction to this: the guy's a paranoid freak. He's being dogmatic and fearing the unknown just because he doesn't understand it. He's not seeing any middle path between running away from the Sphere like primitive apes fleeing an alien monolith, and power-mad idiots turning it on before they understand how to control it. He has no faith in his own people or mine and is against trying to being objective and rational, learning things slowly and properly until the Sphere is fully understood and can therefore be used without causing a disaster.

Well, that's all fine and good. But here's the kicker: my character AGREES with this cowardly, fear-ridden idiot!

At the end of the Tier III cutscene, my character says (roughly) "I agree with you, we need to ensure the Sphere is never activated."

Umm. No. That's not what I'm thinking. That's not what I think my character is thinking. Please can you not put words into my character's mouth, especially when they are the opposite of what I actually believe and the opposite of what any reasonable person would say.

Having the Sphere in the wrong hands? Yes, that's bad. But objecting to it being in ANY hands just because it's so big and scary and magical? No.

This is bad writing. If the Tier IV and V parts of the story involve me having to sabotage work on the Sphere or try to convince people not to activate it, then I'm just not going to progress on to those Tiers. If I'm given a choice, that's fine (I'll choose to switch it on - let the Tetryons commence!) but if I'm rail-roaded down the paranoia line then I'm jumping off this crazy train right now, thanks.
Post edited by casbyness on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    actually here is the data from one of the ground warzone terminals: It is over. Perhaps we pushed the experiments too far. We cannot know for sure, not in the time we have.

Our ...

If you find the rest of the message it talks about how they had to leave the Sphere because of the side effects of their experiment. So.... I don't think it's paranoia at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    actually here is the data from one of the ground warzone terminals: It is over. Perhaps we pushed the experiments too far. We cannot know for sure, not in the time we have.

Our ...

If you find the rest of the message it talks about how they had to leave the Sphere because of the side effects of their experiment. So.... I don't think it's paranoia at all.

Hang on. Who is to say that the Sphere wasn't built by that century's version of Pakleds? Since when do Humans run away from complicated things because earlier generations caused accidents involving them?

Differences of opinion about the wisdom of the experiments aside, my point is that I DON'T think the Sphere is something we should run away from, but my character has been forced to disagree because of the quest writer.

Not being allowed to blow up D'Tan and join the Tal Shiar is one thing, but forcing a player down irrational fear avenue is something else.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    ** More spoilers... Havn't played Romulan yet? Dont read if you dont like spoilers **

Dude... This is far from the first time...

In the romulan storyline, my char kills Hakeev in cold blood... Cold Copper based blood, and no one even puts a remark on it from there.. everyone is fine with it.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Well, my take on your description of that scene is that your character agrees that the sphere needs to be kept in a sort of maintenance mode. Livable, and usable, but with the scary features turned off.... like the Omega particle generators....
    anazonda wrote: »
    ** More spoilers... Havn't played Romulan yet? Dont read if you dont like spoilers **

In the romulan storyline, my char kills Hakeev in cold blood... Cold Copper based blood, and no one even puts a remark on it from there.. everyone is fine with it.
    you have no idea how much I enjoyed that.... :D I'd have killed him IRL too....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    anazonda wrote: »

I stopped playing through the LoR storyline after Mind Games. I disagreed with the ending of that mission. :P

Meh. I guess the Tier rewards aren't tied to the cut scenes. I could just never play the remaining ones if they involve my character doing stupid things.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been trying to filling on between the lines on what's happen(ed)(ing.). My current conclusions from the information in game and canon information.

Canon information.
    1. The aliens from TNG "Schism" (clicky aliens) are Solanogen based aliens.
    2. Solanogen can exists in subspace.

Game information (and possibly speculation)
    1. The species that build the Sphere are called Solonae.
    2. The Solonae are servitor race of the Iconians.
    3. The Solonae at the time the sphere was build was an species that would exist with an M Class environment. (Carbon Class lifeform?)
    4. The Sphere was built at the direction of the Iconians.
    5. An experiment in Sphere is the reason it was deserted.

Speculation (and reading betwen the lines)
    1. The Iconians retreated to the Sphere after being overwhelms by their enemies as Plan A
    2. The Solonae are the "Schism" aliens.
    3. The experiment caused the Solonae to be changed from Carbon base to Solanogen based.
    4. They had to leave the sphere into subspace in order to continue to survive.
    5. A side speculation is that the Experiment adversely the Iconians
    6. The Iconians loss of their Soloane as their last resort servitors (or being effected by the Experiment) sabotaged their Plan A
    7. The Iconians execute a Plan B. My guess retreating to isolated bases and going into suspended animation or a similar state.
    8. The Solonae experiments on normal space lifeforms in order to find a way to reverse the results of the Sphere experiment (or to effect a cure for the Iconians).
    9. The finally find or are close to a solution at the time of "Schism".
    10. The energy burst sent at the end of "Schism" was a message/trigger to awaken the Iconians.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    casbyness wrote: »
    I stopped playing through the LoR storyline after Mind Games. I disagreed with the ending of that mission. :P

Meh. I guess the Tier rewards aren't tied to the cut scenes. I could just never play the remaining ones if they involve my character doing stupid things.
    I hardly believe the Voth is being as paranoid as you claim; he's quite justified when he says the technology is dangerous. It's much the same as the Iconian gateway discussion from Sphere of Influence, before the Omega particles took it out of everyone's hands

And btw, we might be agreeing him purely as diplomacy, to keep the connection going; it might not actually be the character's thoughts
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.