test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Your other MMOs, if any?

twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Ten Forward
What else do you play? Why? If nothing else, why not?

I've eaten all of the new STO content I'm interested in and am looking around for new distractions.
<3
Post edited by twg042370 on

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Any number of single-player titles, mostly sandboxes, space sims, and WRPGs. No MMOs.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I tried DDO for awhile, and uninstalled it. Like most MMO's when you get to the Endgame, you feel like a hamster in a wheel.Grinding shineys to be a faster killer in content you already played to death.

I tried WOW, and hated that after a week. I fiddle with Neverwinter once in awhile.Other than that, I usually play video games like Forza Motorsports, GTAs,Halo, Batman series, The walking dead video games.. and the like. STO seems to be the only MMO that holds my interest, and if it wasn't for the IP,and it was called" Generic spacegame online" I wouldn't be here either.

Sadly I been seeing a lot of STO burnout threads lately, and it's from longtime players.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I play and mod Space Empires 5 a lot. It's loads of fun, but... it's not a story driven game at all, and it's not an action game. It's an empire level strategy game where you take over the universe(or try to). I also play Avengers Alliance on Facebook.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • shanksboyshanksboy Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    War Thunder.....Playing PVP to level up...take note cryptic!!!
  • brewtolomusbrewtolomus Member Posts: 277
    edited November 2013
    account on DDO, which I have recently become quite bored with.

I played almost every day for over 3 years, had a LOT of fun, but it got REALLY grindy after a while. And they kept making hard won weapons, armor, trinkets, etc. useless after every few updates. After every major update, there'd be at least 10 things broken for every one thing they "fixed".
    It's become so cash grabby lately. They make it easy for you to spend money accidentally.
    I said to hell with it.

To the folks in this game complaining about bugs, from what I've seen in the short time I've been playing, STO is relatively bug-free when compared to DDO.

In DDO, I have about 14 or so toons on 3 servers. 10 of which are on one server and all in the same guild. I have the majority of my toons at or near lvl cap. And the last update debacle, which I posted about on these forums btw, was just too much for me. I have virtually no desire to play that game anymore. And will only do so when my guildies can talk me into it.

I play this game pretty much exclusively now. And I'm going to buy a lifetime membership as soon as I can afford it.
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    TOR. I have a lightsaber. And get to stab meatbags with it.

TSW. Everything is true. Nothing is permitted. Wait...that's not right...
    w8xekp.jpg
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,206 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I play swtor a lot but as my sub for it ran out a couple days ago I'll be fousing on sto more.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Right now it's pretty much split between Planetside 2 and Minecraft. But ever since the X Rebirth mess I've been tempted to re-install X3TC too.
  • galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    First one was City of Heroes. <sad face.>

Then SWTOR - got tired of that grind in May 2013.

Now I'm enjoying this game... but I have my eyes on City of Titans when that comes out in a year or 2.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    WoW: since late 2006, but I quit a few days ago. Sub runs out next week. Not sold on the next expansion as of now.

TOR: Didn't even get to max level before I got bored enough to stop playing.

DCUO: Haven't played in quite a while. Was decent, though.

EVE: active sub, casually making a living in highsec.

Neverwinter: Got to max level and stopped playing. Too similar to STO. Otherwise decent game. However, cape animation is horrible.

That's pretty much all my MMOs.
    Sidebar: TOR is the only on of them that I actually deinstalled. That game really sucks.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What, nobody else here plays Champions Online? It's the only online game I know of where you can see characters like Battlescar Galacticat, a hyperintelligent alley cat with battle armor constructed of found objects, including a cardboard box for the torso and big sloppy tennis shoes on the robot feet. (That one's not mine; it was shown on a thread in the CO forums for showing off costumes built from the newest costume packs. Mine include Happifun Security System X-4, a security droid originally built by a toy company; Sharknado, a man-shark hybrid with wind powers; Toybox, an inveterate inventor who's developed a spray that makes cardboard as sturdy as steel; and Spider-Bat, aka Peter Wayne, a confused billionaire with a spider fetish who was bitten by a radioactive bat.)

I did try SWTOR briefly. The "free"-to-play experience hurt so badly that after a few attempts, I uninstalled it. The controls in Neverwinter are rather counterintuitive, at least to me, and completely pull me out of the game. WoW is filled with wannabe-elitists, who refuse to acknowledge that anyone can possibly be allowed to be a beginner, ever, and will harass you mercilessly if you show any sign of being a "n00b" (such as not having every monster and every fight in the very first dungeon committed to memory before ever going in) - and of course the game is constructed so that after a certain point, you have to team with people just to access an area...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • collegepark2151collegepark2151 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I tried EVE for a couple of months but I'm apparently not blood thirsty enough to make it there. Space Mugging Online would probably be a better title for that game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Porthos is not amused.
  • wolfexile1wolfexile1 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Used to play SWTOR. Don't even bother with it now though.
    edited November 2013
    I tried EVE for a couple of months but I'm apparently not blood thirsty enough to make it there. Space Mugging Online would probably be a better title for that game.

My brother used to gush over that game, and tried to get me to play a few years ago. Now if I mention that game, he looks at me haunted.Like I am talking about one of his kids being murdered. That turned me off. I guess he had a sizeable holding, and fleet that got ganked.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    used to play Rune-scape back in the day, but then i was just a kid not knowing any different and it's been 6 years since i last played it. moved through various mmo's like knight online before the turks invaded, big time! then found myself on world of tanks as recently as a few years ago mainly playing t2-t3 tiers with the spg t40 and used to scrap a lot of enemies there and i havent been back for almost a year now. then warplanes beta (flying a bomber is hard especially with evasive with a persistent enemy fighter pilot behind you about 700m out (about 90% of the time none of them got near me with keyboard and mouse controls, fun times), its released but im not that interested yet due to my illness with the common cold. in between that, there was champions online before that turned into TRIBBLE with this f2p TRIBBLE and nerf of resistance xp exploit, lost interest on the spot and havent seen that game in almost 2 years. i played ryzom once with the free account before the sub was required, stuck out there at the grinding island. did galactic starport for a few weeks and sufficed to say it was tooo easy and reached the top of that in a short space of time and that was almost half a decade ago. LOTRO i tried out twice with the demo and never got into it to be honest and i have not touched it in a very long time. recently on TOR since late beta, infrequent flyer on the game, been around 2 months since i was last there, before the news of the galactic starfighter came out.

so many others i could remember and a bit of nostalgia for the past. better stop myself there. miss the good old days, badly.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Currently STO, Neverwinter, Anarchy Onine, and Champions Online (in that order). Was a refugee from Starwars Galaxies for a while when they added their "improvements" a long while back, and played EQ before that before I got burned out of it (due to being level 35 and not being able to solo a single mob six levels below me).
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I play SWTOR sometimes, having played a lot of STO lately and feeling a bit bummed with Season 8 feeling a bit of a let down for me... just lacking the motivation to play a lot right now even with the free Lobi event running. My sub ran out ages ago for TOR but I have about 2-3k cartel coins from stipend so might get something and go play Jedi for a few weeks before coming back. Other than that I don't have any MMO's, my EVE days are way behind me... I don't need a second job thanks.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've mostly been playing Warframe lately. Digital Extremes is doing some things I've never seen before. The developers there are fairly down-to-earth, and have a livestream Q&A session once a week. They actively implement ideas given by players.

The gameplay is that of a co-op third-person shooter, but it has MMO elements to push the larger narrative of the game. It's f2p, and virtually anything outside of cosmetic features can be built in-game using in-game resources.

They have an on-the-fly alert system where various time-gated missions with randomized rewards (some rare, some common), which necessitated a Twitter page for the alerts. Game progression is based on various weapons and warframes you master, and leveling up and improving modifications to set your character the way you like them. Similarly in STO with equipment.

More importantly, they took a fundamentally different approach to patching and hotfixes. Patches require downtime, but just about every working business day they'll hotfix the game while it's live with a few short patch notes. They do live events which span anywhere from a weekend to a week every so often. The main game will also be accessible via the Playstation 4 as one of its launch titles, using the same system as on the PC minus a few features (like the cash shop).

The complexity of the game is really overshadowed by how easy it is. DE is really showing me a game I've never seen before, using technology and outside-the-box thinking that I really hope causes the game to change the way we look at video games.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    My First MMO was City of Heroes (RIP)...

Now it's split between STO and Continent of the Ninth (C9). C9 is a Korean Grinder, I know, but It's overall combat I like. And for those former CoHers, it satisfies my occasional Scrapper-lock-itis.

Beyond that, I don't actually play games that much anymore. I have a few older PC games and some older gen Consoles, but I just don't have the desire to play them anymore.

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I play Tera, and APB: Reloaded every so often. Mostly I play Multiplayer games like Archeblade and Team Fortress 2.
  • dom1941dom1941 Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    STO is and always will be my first MMO :D CO my second, Pirates of the burning sea (RIP) Neverwinter, BSG, SWTOR (F2P? Hah! don't make me laugh) that's it...for now ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    None. And there are few to no other MMOs that have any interest for me at the moment.

Star Trek Online offered a chance to step into the Star Trek world, which kind of grabbed my attention. I wasn't able to do anything until F2P - which is probably a good thing, since it gave me more of an appreciation for what's there.

It seems to me though that if I get tired of STO there really isn't anything else MMO-wise that interests me. I want sci-fi over fantasy and it seems like no game can get past the fact that it is economically impractical, if not impossible, to offer endless streams of story content, so grinding is basically a must for an MMO to last more than a few months. And I'm not too eager to get attached to something that can be sunk at the whim of corporate. So yeah, not too thrilled at the prospect of future MMOs, either.
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    As far as currently playing, it's mostly this game. However, sometimes I throw in Sims 3 or Sims Medieval, one of the Need for Speed games, although my Win8 laptop has issues running ProStreet, haven't tried any of the older ones than that on it, but Undercover & Shift run fine on it.
    About the only other MMO I've played and enjoyed, is LoTRo, although I'm currently taking a major break from it, been more in a "sci-fi" mood the last few months, rather than a medievalistic mood, for my online stuff.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am a latecomer to the Xbox 360 scene. I played Portal 2, Rocksmith(I mainly bought the console for guitar practice), Forza 4 .
    I used to play Need For speed world. The racing is buggy though. Offline pc games I used to play, we Star Trek Bridge commander, Jurassic Park operation genesis, KOTOR and the need for speed series.
    I'm a big Tony hawk fanboy love the skateboarding games. Probably why I built a parkour course in my foundry mission.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
    edited November 2013
    I am a latecomer to the Xbox 360 scene. I played Portal 2, Rocksmith(I mainly bought the console for guitar practice), Forza 4 .
    I used to play Need For speed world. The racing is buggy though. Offline pc games I used to play, we Star Trek Bridge commander, Jurassic Park operation genesis, KOTOR and the need for speed series.
    I'm a big Tony hawk fanboy love the skateboarding games. Probably why I built a parkour course in my foundry mission.

Thats the other thing.I am grateful for the community authors. I play the Foundry from time to time when I feel the game gets too grindy, and I want to recapture the "Trek" feel.

Some players will say,'Foundry rewards stink" but if It gives me back the "Star Trek" feel, then that is reward enough for me.
  • steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited November 2013
    At the moment...none other. The reason is a combination of ancient pc (which I hope to replace soon) and having to spend many hours each week with my beloved, invalid father. I'd never abandon him for a game.

As to what I have played:
    City of Heroes (still my favorite. *tear* :( )
    WoW (couple of 90s)
    EVE (just dabbled. )
    Tabula Rasa (beta and game. Which really needs someone to buy it, retool it and release. It still has potential)
    LotRO (beta and game)
    Champions Online (never held my interest like CoH, didn't like the looks of the characters)
    SWTOR (couple of top ranked characters)
    Firefall (closed beta at first. Now waiting on the better computer)
    Marvel Heroes (beta. also needed the better pc)
    and recently even The Settlers Online (couldn't hold my attention beyond level 32)

Assuming I get that pc, I'm looking forward to Star Citizen, since I loved Freelancer, and I'm curious about City of Titans and Wildstar. I also want to experience STO on a better rig, of course.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Star Wars: The Old Republic

Star Trek Online

Dungeons & Dragons Online

The Secret World

WoW

Fallen Earth

Diablo III

City of Titans (Soon)

I am a serious MMO addict. O_O

Edit: Apparantly, naming Blizzard's fantasy game is a bad word on the forum. I-I have no idea....
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I was a feral druid raid leader in wow from vanilla to wotlk...was one of the best. Feral druids, not raid leaders, but I took guilds to the end of each content. Not server first, but to the end.

I applied speed to my runs, made raiding quite fun and quick paced...

Ah to reminisce...

Now I have an 18month girl. Another due in early February, a house and a wife...sto fills the mmo void. but I long for leading 25 people again.

Hell when I raid led 25 people. I missed the 40 man raids...
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    dahminus wrote: »
    I was a feral druid raid leader in wow from vanilla to wotlk...was one of the best. Feral druids, not raid leaders, but I took guilds to the end of each content. Not server first, but to the end.

I applied speed to my runs, made raiding quite fun and quick paced...

Ah to reminisce...

Now I have an 18month girl. Another due in early February, a house and a wife...sto fills the mmo void. but I long for leading 25 people again.

Hell when I raid led 25 people. I missed the 40 man raids...

Just have 25 kids :D
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Just have 25 kids :D

Relevant. :D