test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Server wide rollback requested

venarravenarra Member Posts: 112 Arc User
edited November 2013 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I still cannot log in to STO since the Season 8 patch. The game crashes during the Cryptic loading screen and loads a cryptic error report window.

I have tried everything from logging in safe mode to disabling my firewall and antivirus. Forced verify doesn't help. This occurs both when I use Arc and the .exe file in the STO folder to try to access gameplay. :confused:

I have performed a clean reinstall of the game with no luck. :(

I request a full rollback of the game to the point prior to Season 8.
Post edited by venarra on

Comments

• Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Venarra, you aren't alone in thinking that way. If the devs don't get a fix very soon, restarting season 7 and getting everyone back into the game may be our only hope.
  • Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    What os are you using? Just curious
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    libertasautmors1libertasautmors1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm a very quiet person. I support a rollback, or anything that gets passed the Cryptic loading screen page. Certainly this task is not easy for Devs, considering season 8 is like an extra helping of turkey when your stomach is already full.
  • Options
    onehappytapewormonehappytapeworm Member Posts: 106 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    Um, so you think all the people playing and enjoying the new stuff should have it taken away from them because you were unlucky enough to get a bug (a seriously bad bug I admit)?
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    that would mean losing the hours i have worked on accolades, lobi per day, dyson sphere rep system on at least 3 alts, id have to say a big NO on a roll back...
  • Options
    xsharpexxsharpex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    it sounds like you have a faulty third party program running. try troubleshooting the issue by exiting all running programs one at a time to see if that solves the issue. something as simple as raptr needing an update could cause the game launcher to crash.

if that doesn't work, then it might be another issue. speaking hypotheticacloslly, changes to the directx settings from 9 to 11 could have occurred and if your graphics card and its drivers have not been updated or can not support directx 11, then it could potentially crash the launcher as well.

i stuck by my initial assessment. you should try that first. close all your active task bar programs and then do control-shift-escape and check the window fit bare essential items. then start her up. if it loads no problem, then you'll know one of the programs were the cause of the crash. then you can reinitialize them one at a time if you so choose to find the culprit.

let its know how it goes as it might be the cause for others as well.

[edit]
    found this in the big thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13560971&postcount=1566 props go to the OP if it works for you.
  • Options
    dachronikdachronik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Um, so you think all the people playing and enjoying the new stuff should have it taken away from them because you were unlucky enough to get a bug (a seriously bad bug I admit)?

That^^

Sad to hear ppl haveing so much trouble.....but punishing the players that can play is not the solution. Given that even if you play there a lot of things not working.

Something else may be given to players to accommodate for problems with all the bugs.

A Rollback is not an option imo.

LL&P
  • Options
    oldkilldareoldkilldare Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i know it might be a dumb question but have you tried deleting the cache folder (and then start-up with a force verify) ?
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Come on you must be joking. This bug you have effects what, 1 or 2% of the player population at most. Do you seriously expect that they are going to roll back the game to pre S8 and TRIBBLE off to end the 98% that are currently playing and enjoying S8. That would be a good way to ensure there isn't a S9.

I hope you get your bug fixed but this has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on the forums.
  • Options
    enterprise1701axenterprise1701ax Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    From what I understand, there appears to be a goal date of this Thurday for a potential fix. I tried to find the latest from Brandon but couldn't find it (either it disappeared or was incorrectly marked), so my source is second-hand -- please don't set anything into stone. But at least there seems to be positive progress.

(Crossing fingers.)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    While I understand some of the responses from people saying a Rollback is unnecessary, just remember you are only losing about a weeks worth of play. I have played in other MMORPG's and suffered rollbacks before. So I've complained about them, too. :o

I will try the various suggestions for troubleshooting. I may restart my system in safe mode with networking and see if I can load the game there.

I am running XP Pro (32-bit) so the OS shouldn't be an issue. Cryptic recommends 7 & 8 users to run the game in XP comp. mode if they are having problems.

You have to understand that I have a gold account and am a serious player of the game. This login issue has put a serious crimp in my plans to outfit all of my toons with the obelisk carrier, omni direction ap beam & warpcore set pieces plus 5 blue mk XI ap beam arrays, not to mention the 30 lobi's a day I missed out on. If cryptic would reimburse me these items for my in game time lost (and my gold account time), I would be very willing to wait for a fix. :o

but as things are now, I am not a happy camper. :(
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    xsharpex wrote: »
    it sounds like you have a faulty third party program running. try troubleshooting the issue by exiting all running programs one at a time to see if that solves the issue. something as simple as raptr needing an update could cause the game launcher to crash.

if that doesn't work, then it might be another issue. speaking hypotheticacloslly, changes to the directx settings from 9 to 11 could have occurred and if your graphics card and its drivers have not been updated or can not support directx 11, then it could potentially crash the launcher as well.

i stuck by my initial assessment. you should try that first. close all your active task bar programs and then do control-shift-escape and check the window fit bare essential items. then start her up. if it loads no problem, then you'll know one of the programs were the cause of the crash. then you can reinitialize them one at a time if you so choose to find the culprit.

[edit]
    found this in the big thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13560971&postcount=1566 props go to the OP if it works for you.

Any idea on how to update Direct X from 9.0c to 11? I can't find a valid update on the Microsoft website and CNET.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    venarra wrote: »
    Any idea on how to update Direct X from 9.0c to 11? I can't find a valid update on the Microsoft website and CNET.
    ^^^
    Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    dachronik wrote: »
    That^^

Sad to hear ppl haveing so much trouble.....but punishing the players that can play is not the solution. Given that even if you play there a lot of things not working.

Something else may be given to players to accommodate for problems with all the bugs.

A Rollback is not an option imo.

LL&P

This is what other MMORPG's do when a portion of the population can't play. All you are going to lose is a week? 8 days? of gameplay. This has happened to me in other games. You should be trying to help get all players back in the game.

Otherwise, we'll just stop trying to log in and play. Less players > less money > greater chance the game closes up shop.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    xsharpex wrote: »

[edit]

The big thread post instructions failed. I upgraded to direct x 10 (the highest Direct X supported by XP) with no effect. :(
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013

You'd have to update your OS from XP, to either 7 or 8, to get DX11. Highest supported on XP is 9.0c
    I have an older AthlonXP running Windows XP, and a laptop dual-core AMD running Windows 8. Granted, the XP machine is hard down at the moment, either the memory or m/b died. But at least arounf LoR release, both could run the game, just XP had to use DX9, and my laptop has the option to use DX11, due to the OS difference.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The big thread post instructions failed. I upgraded to direct x 10 (the highest Direct X supported by XP) with no effect. :(

On XP, I don't see how you got DX10 even running at all, that was for Vista. And that may be part of your problem now, that somehow you have forced DX10 on an XP machine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is what other MMORPG's do when a portion of the population can't play. All you are going to lose is a week? 8 days? of gameplay. This has happened to me in other games. You should be trying to help get all players back in the game.

Otherwise, we'll just stop trying to log in and play. Less players > less money > greater chance the game closes up shop.

What you don't seem to get is you are a very small minority here. By the forum complaints I would guess its less than 1% of the play base that can't get back in, if it was larger there would be much more forum rage and this thread would be 100 pages by now. You talk about other games doing role backs because some couldn't play, i'm sure that's true, i'm also sure that in these cases they were talking about a significant portion of the player base being effected. Pissing off 99% of your player base to appease 1% that can't play is going to accomplish one thing, killing the game. The number of players they would loose to rage quits would far exceed the number who currently can't play.

Your also admittedly using an operating system that was retired in 2007. I hung onto my windows XP far past 2007 but be realistic here, its long past time to upgrade. Would recommend win 7 though as 8 will make you want to throw your computer out the window.
  • Options
    siphonophoraesiphonophorae Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I am completely unable to enter any system whatsoever. Not Sol, not anything. Transwarp doesn't work, all the options are grayed out and even flying into the sun yields no results, I simply do not get to option to enter the system. My account is not old enough to create my own topic, nor can I ask anyone in the zone I'm in, so I'm royally stuck. What on earth should I do now? Sorry to be a pain.
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I've been trying to load STO unsuccessfully on my 486/DX2 66Mhz but it keeps telling me I need more RAM. I have like 4 MB! Also my S3/Virge doesn't appear to be supported!
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    smokeybacon90smokeybacon90 Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    No problems from me. No problems from any of my friends or fleetmates. No problems from any of the many regulars I see ingame.

So let's roll back the entire server for the sake of a couple of forumers. :rolleyes:
    EnYn9p9.jpg
  • Options
    tequilapastatequilapasta Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm running Windows 7 with 16GB of RAM, an i7 and a GTX690, and I'm pleased to report that I have no problems at all - roll on Season 9.

Have you checked your PSU? I know a guy who knows a guy whose roommate said that he had a computer problem and then he checked his PSU and it fixed everything.

If the PSU isn't a problem, could you check that you've got dos=high,umb in your autoexec - you can make a boot disc if you have to. This will ensure you're able to access your entire 640k base memory.
    TdfsKwJ.jpg
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    STO is one of the most memory-intensive MMORPGs released yet. It took me quite a while to free up enough memory to run it properly. I installed it with a Soundblaster-compatible sound card. I have Windows ME on my machine. I tried to create a shortcut to it from my desktop, so that my machine would reboot, run the game, and then reboot back to Windows. However, I had problems with this and eventually found it easier just to make a boot disk. To do this, follow these steps.

Creating the Boot Disk

Under Windows ME, choose Start>Programs>MS-DOS Prompt.
    Insert a blank floppy disk into your A: drive. Note: this will not work with a floppy disk in your B: drive, if you have one.
    The prompt should read 'C:\Windows'. Type 'cd command'.
    Type 'format a: /s'. This will format the blank disk in the A: drive and transfer the necessary system files to the disk to allow it to boot your operating system (in this case Windows ME).
    After the format is complete, the program will ask you to give the disk a label. You may call it whatever you like; I chose 'STO'.
    The program will then ask you if you want to format another disk. Type 'n' for no.
    The program should have stopped running. Type 'exit'.
    Now go to My Computer on your desktop and open it. Double-click on your C: drive.
    Find the files named 'autoexec.bat' and 'config.sys'. Note: In order to see the config.sys file, you may have to change the folder settings to allow you to see hidden files.
    Now, copy the autoexec.bat and config.sys files to your A: drive. To do this, select the file, choose Edit>Copy. Then go back to the My Computer screen and open your A: drive. Choose Edit>Paste. Repeat this process for the other file.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    amahoodamahood Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I still cannot log in to STO since the Season 8 patch. The game crashes during the Cryptic loading screen and loads a cryptic error report window.

I have tried everything from logging in safe mode to disabling my firewall and antivirus. Forced verify doesn't help. This occurs both when I use Arc and the .exe file in the STO folder to try to access gameplay. :confused:

I have performed a clean reinstall of the game with no luck. :(

I request a full rollback of the game to the point prior to Season 8.

Couldn't agree more.

Still having the same problem, I had to log out, and now I can't even log back in!! And that's trying it with the normal launcher, then after that has not worked, I am trying Arc.

Nothing!
  • Options
    doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    john98837 wrote: »
    What you don't seem to get is you are a very small minority here. By the forum complaints I would guess its less than 1% of the play base that can't get back in, if it was larger there would be much more forum rage and this thread would be 100 pages by now.
    The thread on that subject *IS* over a hundred pages by now, at 191 pages and counting. The reason THIS thread is neglected is because only a small minority think it is a reasonable course of action to punish EVERYONE and erase all of their work (and lockbox ship wins) for your sake. A rollback will never happen barring catastrophic server failure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anikaifulanikaiful Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2013
    A rollback will never happen barring catastrophic server failure.

Indeed. And thank the heavens and whatnot for that. :cool:
  • Options
    xbalankexbalanke Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 or Windows 8.
    I would add that in April 2014 Windows XP will stop receiving even the most basic security updates from Microsoft. (it stopped receiving regular updates/bug fixes in 2009) After that happens any Windows XP machine still connected to the internet will be a sitting duck for malware and viruses.. there's even rumours that some groups are withholding new exploits instead of using them in the wild now, so that they would never be patched..

Chances are a lot of third party software companies will stop WinXP support as well shortly after MS... (I know my employer will)
  • Options
    my1alts2alt3my1alts2alt3 Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    xbalanke wrote: »
    Chances are a lot of third party software companies will stop WinXP support as well shortly after MS... (I know my employer will)

Dragged kicking and screaming into the new millennium along with the rest of us? Can you imagine how messed up the internet would be if some people were still running win3.0? I dropped the few dollars to upgrade my XP to 7 months ago, and the game runs fine for me, I still have a few minor bugs. I'd wager that most of the game problems would clear up for people if they would just upgrade to 7 along with the rest of society. Might help if the game clearly stated that it no longer is completely compatible with XP, for it obviously is not.

Rather than encounter frustration with the game, I have chosen to wait for the patches to fix the new problems. This game is obviously never gonna be completely bug-free, so I choose to learn to live with it, rather than stroke out over it. Been there, done that, learned my lesson.