test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Missing Textures/Icons in season 8 *FIX INCOMING See post 608 page 61*

Comments

• litchy74litchy74 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Consistently getting the texture bug after 30 minutes normal play, stayed on new romulas walking everywhere not using transporter over one and a half hours no problem, beamed to my ship instant texture bugs.

Taco you've said the team are looking into this any progress?
    Where ever you go, there you are.......

Join The Space Invaders,..... Federation and KDF fleets.
  • gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    I did bring it up, and we're working on reproducing this problem in house. This is often why bugs slip through. We can test all we want, and still not end up with the exact circumstances that cause something to occur. Then, once it's sent out to thousands of people, there can be many people who happen to fit that criteria perfectly. Unfortunately, it's not always clear what that is.

Can you folks who are affected post a little info about your systems? Specifically, what video card you are using?

Thanks

One in each PC, nvidia GTX 660 2GB, (one is from Galaxy, the other Gigabyte [GV-N660OC-2GD])

The Galaxy is slotted in a PCIex16 2.1, the Gigabyte is in a PCIex16 3.0 and that's the one with issues.
  • harmony420harmony420 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It seems like joining queues (except The Breach) doesn't trigger it as often. I played for three hours yesterday just doing STFs and Fleet Mark events and never had the bug hit.

I'd be happy to send a full DxDiag report if it would help but I don't want to post it on the forum, particularly.
  • seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Same here, this problem was fixed with S8 I think, but the last patch brought it again.
    Season 8 didn't fix this problem, it caused it. This issue has been going since the launch of Season 8, and has not been fixed yet.
  • silverrain79silverrain79 Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm having this happen so much I'm relogging about once an hour.
    Delirium Tremens
    XO of Training
    Tier 5 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy, Tier 3 Dilithium Mine, Tier 3 Spire
    Join us at www.dtfleet.com
  • drakonis37drakonis37 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I really don't know whats worse, crashing every hour or having to wait 20-30 minutes for the the launcher to verify the files every time the client crashes.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    drakonis37 wrote: »
    I really don't know whats worse, crashing every hour or having to wait 20-30 minutes for the the launcher to verify the files every time the client crashes.

You shouldn't have to verify every single time. When the pop up appears asking if you want to verify, say no. If you suspect something is wrong with your game later on, you can always force verify your files from the launcher options.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    we know, they never claimed to have fixed it, been broken since S8 launch.... :rolleyes:

Looks like some poeple can't understand simple things :rolleyes:. I know it's an issue since season 8's launch because, guess what, I've had the problem since the launch of season 8, I was just posting to a) keep the thread alive and b) to point out that the bug is still affecting me, therefore if someone else wasn't suffering from it anymore they may be able to shed some light on the difference in game settings. Just to point out the obvious - A known bug is a bug they are aware of but have not fixed, therefore this should be on that list, the fact that it's not makes me wonder if they are aware of it as I've not seen a dev' response on the matter.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    irwin109 wrote: »
    makes me wonder if they are aware of it as I've not seen a dev' response on the matter.

Bran's involvement on Ian451's earlier thread and CrypticCliff's on one of the Mac threads, are now both way too old, to be of any use in gauging internal escalation/progress. However Tacofangs has recently dropped by a couple of times, in the larger thread on this very issue.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=913941
    (11 Dec last update at time of posting)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13976901&postcount=157

He has confirmed that it is being looked into. Unfortunately at the moment they mainly seem stuck on trying to reproduce the error in-house.
  • russellcarussellca Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Interesting repeatable experiment from forcemajeure. Hopefully there's something here, that may assist the devs.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=960501
    edited December 2013
    Okay so, I maybe found something. MAYBE.

I was reading this quote here about the new DX9 option:
    D3D11 is no longer considered beta (yay). Of course, that doesn't mean it's bug-free, but we now consider it stable enough to have removed the beta tag.

D3D9Ex is for Vista and up and gives some memory usage benefits because of the new (as of Vista) video driver model. (There are other advantages too.) It's basically D3D9 plus some extra niceness for people running something more modern than XP. You should probably use it instead of D3D9 where possible, unless you're having issues with it.

I then realized that I had switched to the D3D9Ex after S8 launched. Reading that last line there, I thought "Well, maybe I'm having issues with it?" and switched back to D3D9.

After doing so, I've been able to play for the last 3 days and have not seen the missing/simple textures bug. At all. Not once. And that's with multiple zone changes, character swaps, PVE queue missions, etc. over several hours of play each day. Everything seems to be back to normal.

So for the time being, this seems to have fixed the issue on my particular machine. Of course, YMMV. Just thought I'd pop in and let y'all know that I haven't seen it for 3 days now by doing this.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Where is that option even found? Does it not appear if the game is run in XP?
    edited December 2013
    I don't think it appears for XP. Cliff there said it was for Vista and up, so you if you're on XP I think you only have D3D9. So I don't think this would work for you or anyone with XP. :/
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited December 2013
    Which suggests it's either not the problem, or that the game is perhaps not defaulting properly to DX9 in XP.
  • irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    russellca wrote: »
    Bran's involvement on Ian451's earlier thread and CrypticCliff's on one of the Mac threads, are now both way too old, to be of any use in gauging internal escalation/progress. However Tacofangs has recently dropped by a couple of times, in the larger thread on this very issue.
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=913941
    (11 Dec last update at time of posting)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=13976901&postcount=157

He has confirmed that it is being looked into. Unfortunately at the moment they mainly seem stuck on trying to reproduce the error in-house.

Ah that's good to know, seems they do have their plate full with bugs once again...
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
    edited December 2013
    Possibly. I'll mess with it a bit more today. Last night I turned it back to D3D9Ex for a bit and had the graphics mess up just as they normally do. If you want to check the setting for yourself, it should be the very top option under the Video tab in your settings menu. It was just added in when S8 launched.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited December 2013
    It doesn't appear there at all, under windows XP. I messed with a few settings over the past couple days, including ambient occlusion and lens flare, but the problem seems to eventually pop up no matter what settings I change.
    edited December 2013
    Assuming the -d3d9 command line option is working as intended, it also had no effect. The bug still appeared for me.
    edited December 2013
    That's a bummer. I was sure I was on to something there.

I found out something weird now, something that makes me doubt the D3D9Ex is the main problem but might be related somehow. When I play on my new Romulan that I just made a few days ago, I don't get the problem. I can play for however long I want and not see it. It only appears on my old characters that I had from before S8 launched.

The last few days I've been exclusively playing on my new Rommie. I think that's why I didn't see it at all when I posted before. But if I fly around doing doff missions and dailies on my old characters, I get it within the 20-40 min time frame. Also if I play on an old character first for a bit and then switch over to my new Rom, I see the problem pop up all the same. That's why I saw it in the wonderland on my Rom as I posted earlier in the thread. If I log in and play ONLY on my new Rom, I don't see it at all.

I tested this yesterday by playing for 30 mins on my Fed sci and the problem popped up. I then exited and relogged onto my KDF tac. Same thing, after 20 mins it popped up. I then exited again and this time went straight for my new Rom. Nothing. I played for the next 4 hours with no issues. She's isn't max level yet so I'm still going through the story missions which have plenty of map and zone transfers all over the place.

However...if I set the game to D3D9Ex, I DO see it on my Rom in the 20-40 min time frame. I beamed down to New Romulus and it was a glowing green and white mess. After changing back to D3D9 though, I didn't see it again for the rest of the day.

I don't know what this means. I've never seen this in any other game before. Why would only my new character be exempt from this? And only if I have it set to a specific option in the video settings? I'm completely lost here. All I know is that my new Rom doesn't get this problem if I log in and play on her without touching my older characters.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited December 2013
    I've recently started a new sci toon, I'm also running through the episodes and I notice it takes a lot longer for the missing textures to appear, pretty much did the entire romulan episode chain with not one problem, decided to visit ESD and toons where running around in pure white outfits and items in my UI/inventory had missing icons.

Reload with a different toon who started in ESD and I got the problem in maybe 30 minutes. It seems high usage areas, ESD, K7 etc brings this issue on quicker.

edited December 2013
    Interesting. I think you might be right about that. I had it appear for the first time on my new Rom last night, but it was on DS9. I had just wrapped up the entire Romulan story line and the Devidian arc and went to DS9 to start the Cardassian arc. I beamed down and everyone had white glowing weapons. I went and talked to Kurland and then headed to the Badlands for the Joshua Riker mission. The first space part had no issues but beaming down to the Cardie base had all the usual symptoms. After a quick relog I didn't see it again for the rest of the night.

I'll have to keep track of it and see if it appears more once I start getting into the higher traffic areas. It was a great week not seeing the missing textures though haha.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • demonpotter99demonpotter99 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This problem is making this game unpleasant to play. Its totally ruining the whole game. How hard can this be to fix.
    edited December 2013
    On a side note just done the galaxy tour, don't bother, half way through with the map changes it becomes a texture mess. Not pleasant to play, devs what going on with this a heads up would be great. Going on what Taco said before if you can't reproduce it is it ever even going on the to do list or just, leave it alone and hope they go quietly away?

• vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Let me add my voice to this thread.

Been noticing this for a week or two now.

Cryptic, please fix this, If the game becomes to unpleasant to play, I just might notice all the other entertainment venues vying for my limited fun funds.
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• otowiotowi Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Been seeing this too.

Good thing I checked this part of the forums, since I thought my graphics card were on the fritz. Phew.

Did some tests with other games, just in case it was my card, but no graphical anomalies in those games (Duke Nukem Forever and TOR were used in this case, one FPS and one MMO).

Hope this get a priority fix, as it's immersion breaking.

**Edit**
    Graphics card is Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT
    **Edit ends**
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I made an observation in this thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=960501

where I noted that the standard graphics textures/backgrounds issues that were happening were always 'reset' back to normal graphics after the 'Watch the gateway animation' part of Sphere of Influence (when you zone to the Solanae complex).

If anyone else wants to check it out and see if they get similar results, it might provide at least one workable 'fix' for the devs.

(Edit: whoops, sorry, didn't realize someone else had already referenced this. Let us know if you try it and it DOESN'T work as that will eliminate the option - thanks)
  • parisalexandria1parisalexandria1 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Athlon Phenom II x4 955
    4 GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 7870
    Running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
    Has the texture problem after season 8

Keeping this thread alive until the problem dies....

Have the devs even replicated this in the lab?
    edited December 2013
    Nope, last word was that they can't reproduce it so they can't fix it.

Also keep in mind that the devs are gone for holiday break, so they won't be back in action until after New Years.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • seniorkafeiseniorkafei Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    20 pages, almost 200 replies and nearly 9,000 views and still no fix for this. :(

I really hope the devs can replicate the issue soon... these graphical bugs are really annoying. I've pretty much limited myself to logging in to do holiday duty officer missions and races because I hate having to restart the game to fix the graphics when the bug kicks in.

Oh well. Merry Christmas, devs. I know you're trying!
  • aaaictaaaict Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hello devs!
    This is the 200th reply to this thread:(. I have been having the exact same issues. However this is on my MAC as well, and seems to be effecting everybody. The amazing graphics are an integral part of STO, and these white figures just ruin it:) I sincerely hope that these bugs get fixed as hundreds of people are having these issues.:confused:

Happy boxing day!!!( and a Merry Christmas)