test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sphere of Influence "Special BOFF" Powers - when can we get these normally?

projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hey Cryptic,

Sphere of Influence was highly entertaining though the 5 sections bit was a tad tedious.

During the last section you pulled a "series 2800" and had us flying around in a giant dinosaur skull. And while we did that we had the liberty of using special boff powers that combined several together (Worf had one power that combined beam, torpedo, and cannon special power modes - though I'm not sure why the cannon was involved given there were none on the ship).

It appears to be the case that you took something posted by users on this forum to heart and that this a "test" to see whether or not people liked having sheer unadulterated firepower at their command on tap (alongside various other abilities offered); when can we expect to have these powers?
Post edited by projectfrontier on

Comments

• hellsfire6hellsfire6 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hopefully never.
  • madmansnipes007madmansnipes007 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2013
    Hopefully they will add powers like this to the story Boggs we get like Tovan :):D
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Err. No. Let BOFF powers be BOFF powers, now, there could be an Attack Pattern Gamma, but all of that combined is OP, and I'm not just saying that.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I don't think we'll be seeing those any time soon.

After Temporal Ambassador, they got feedback saying that people didn't like being shoehorned into the build they set up on the Enterprise-C. I suspect these special powers were an attempt to give people whatever power they wanted to use, without loosing the story element of having Worf and Shon at the controls with their own skillsets.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I figured it was to make you OP as hell since you're in a ship you're not used to. It just gives you a bunch of "I WIN!" buttons. I spent a bit of time arranging the power tray so I could actually fight competently, so I didn't really need the uber Boffs. I even forgot to use them entirely on my first run through. If you ARE playing for reals, and you kick in those powers, the effect even on the larger ships is comically devastating.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I figuref they were just there to make the experience of flying a setup which was otherwise a complete and utter disaster area tolerable. Everyone remembers the Enterprise-C and its absolutely awful excuse for a boff setup. The only thing that made flying THAT disaster area even remotely tolerable was the ability to turn on autofire and go AFK as you were invulnerable.

I really do not see why Cryptic cannot use these events as teachable moments to teach new players how to properly configure a ship instead of creating these monstrous disasters. They are wasting teachable moments here: A newbie could see the ship, configured elegantly and efficiently, and go back thinking "Yeah, I can make MY ship do this!". Instead, we get a disaster area that does nothing to discourage a new player from towing such a failboat into STFs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]