test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Season 8] Holodeck crashes on startup (Latest update: Pg. 319, post #3190)

Comments

• Options
    everton2003everton2003 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    so much for being able to play season 8 hope they fix this if not been fun playing STO while it lasted see you in how ever long it takes to get a new PC

ticket number: 25316319
  • Options
    drug2drug2 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We all knew by now that this would transfer over from Tribble, and by now we all know how long its going to take to fix it I don't expect to get in game for another 6 more days. I'll be glad if im wrong on that time table

Last time i had a bug this bad i had to wait 3 months for it to be fixed i expect this to be fixed in that time pariod since thats usualy how updates this bad get fixed but i really hope they fix this by tomorrow my friend will help me tonight he may be able to solve my problem if so i'll post what we did if it works
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,992 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I would not have minded an extra few hours on the maintenance, because that way the programmers have more time to iron put the bugs, by the sounds of it it went live too early
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Just curious pwebranflakes, has the team working on this issue looked at what caused a similar issue last month for us players as a possible culprit?

An answer on that good or positive might get some of the others in this thread something to chew on.
      "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
      Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
    • Options
      sarliksarlik Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      We all knew by now that this would transfer over from Tribble, and by now we all know how long its going to take to fix it I don't expect to get in game for another 6 more days. I'll be glad if im wrong on that time table

Honestly, given that they've had a month to deal with this error, I strongly suspect that there is some serious problem that they haven't been able to figure out how to fix. If they haven't been able to fix it after a whole month, I seriously doubt they'll be able to fix it in just one more week. I really hope I'm wrong.

Some depressing speculation: Perhaps the 10/3 patch included some of the architecture being used in Season 8; they "fixed" the problem by removing it with the 10/10 patch, but they couldn't use that fix on Tribble because it was fundamentally incompatible with all the Season 8 content they'd been working on most of the year. They've now spent a month trying to figure out a way to solve the problem AND have Season 8 content at the same time, and they haven't found a way to do so. It might turn out to be something they can't fix for a very long time ... if at all.

Again, I really, seriously hope I'm wrong.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      kahlorrkahlorr Member Posts: 6 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      Add one more to the 18897741 stack.
    • Options
      raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      sarlik wrote: »
      Honestly, given that they've had a month to deal with this error, I strongly suspect that there iDs some serious problem that they haven't been able to figure out how to fix. If they haven't been able to fix it after a whole month, I seriously doubt they'll be able to fix it in just one more week. I really hope I'm wrong.

Some depressing speculation: Perhaps the 10/3 patch included some of the architecture being used in Season 8; they "fixed" the problem by removing it with the 10/10 patch, but they couldn't use that fix on Tribble because it was fundamentally incompatible with all the Season 8 content they'd been working on most of the year. They've now spent a month trying to figure out a way to solve the problem AND have Season 8 content at the same time, and they haven't found a way to do so. It might turn out to be something they can't fix for a very long time ... if at all.

Again, I really, seriously hope I'm wrong.

You forget the one thing I said already the Holodeck Server gives the team that the Tribble Server does not give them. That is a larger Data pool to draw on to find the issue. Holodeck has always seen a higher load than Tribble so they can get more of a handle on the issue due to all the different systems and builds for computers being used to handle this game.
      "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
      Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
    • Options
      theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,992 Arc User
      edited November 2013
      raventomoe wrote: »
      You forget the one thing I said already the Holodeck Server gives the team that the Tribble Server does not give them. That is a larger Data pool to draw on to find the issue. Holodeck has always seen a higher load than Tribble so they can get more of a handle on the issue due to all the different systems and builds for computers being used to handle this game.

Hence why I said that they should have extended the maintenance by a few hours
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      • Options
        mattyou444mattyou444 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        ok got a fix been stuk in a patch loop on finnal part of 225mb patch it keeped crashing at 95%

my fix is this go in to game folder /star trek online / live < folder and
        delet .patch folder
        delet piggs folder
        delet prepatch folder

then start the patch client then go in the the clients settings and you will see

patching proxy set it to US
        then
        gameplay proxy st to US

then start the patch DO NOT do the verify just patch it will then down load the full 12.6gb and the game will start

good look ppl

-vince
      • Options
        cmdrbensoncmdrbenson Member Posts: 97 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        did it actually work for you
        Admiral Sash
        Commanding Officer
        Federation One
      • Options
        finaltom5finaltom5 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        mattyou444 wrote: »
        ok got a fix been stuk in a patch loop on finnal part of 225mb patch it keeped crashing at 95%

delet .patch folder
        delet piggs folder
        delet prepatch folder

then start the patch client then go in the the clients settings and you will see

then
        gameplay proxy st to US

then start the patch DO NOT do the verify just patch it will then down load the full 12.6gb and the game will start

good look ppl

-vince

So has anyone tried this and can verify if this works?
      • Options
        captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        same prob hear, it 4:11amGMT now, stopped working for me at 8:45pm after last patch.

also i read one of you are stuck in a patch loop, i think i am too, the 8087mb patch downloads nearly every time i open the launcher
        nerf.jpg]
      • Options
        mattyou444mattyou444 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        corce it worked for me or i would not of posted it been trying to get on for 9houers tryed all you can think of and that was the onley thing that worked
      • Options
        edited November 2013
        finaltom5 wrote: »
        So has anyone tried this and can verify if this works?
        corce it worked for me or i would not of posted it been trying to get on for 9houers tryed all you can think of and that was the onley thing that worked

will try it out tomorrow and report back if going steam dosnt work

(12gig is a whole loatta download time)
        nerf.jpg]
      • Options
        wolfe2012wolfe2012 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
        edited November 2013

Just to verify. Did you have a problem patching the game or the game loading. From what you wrote it appears as though your patch stuck at 95%, then deleting files and changing proxies allowed you to complete the patch and login. If that's the case it doesn't apply to the crash people are experiencing.

The crashes are occurring after login, during the loading of the game. Some on the Cryptic splash screen with the progress bar, some on the LoR splash and others as/after they get to the character selection screen.

Others in the thread have done full re-installs, sometimes even multiple times. When the launcher re-downloads the files, it's getting the exact same files every time. And users are experiencing down the the ticket number the exact same crash they had before re-installing. It's also not entirely machine specific as people have reported low-end, high-end and middle of the road systems crashing in the same places. On the other hand, many people are in the game. Those people downloaded the same files as the people who are crashing. So it's not something like a bad patch file. That more than likely would affect a much larger group of people.

Nor would I say it's OS specific. I myself have 3 machines here, 2 running Windows XP SP3 and one Windows 7 Ultimate, they all crash trying to login. They all ran the game last night before the patch. The 2 Windows XP machines make it to the character screen to select a character, the Windows 7 machine never makes it past the Cryptic loading screen. Oh and the 2 XP machines are lower end than the Windows 7 machine. (Figure that one out)

I honestly don't see how your fix would help anyone experiencing the crashes. It might however help anyone having issues obtaining the patch itself.

I'm not trying to be condescending, I just think your entirely on the wrong track fishing for a fix for the crashes. (If what I gathered from your post is correct)

Also just to add, I haven't been able to log onto Tribble either. I had/have the same crash/same error on Tribble that I'm getting on Holodeck.

*EDIT - Well judging from later responses maybe that does work. I'll give it a try and eat crow if it does.
      • Options
        evilzerbevilzerb Member Posts: 3 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        yes i just patched and am getting the error about material reloading then crash
      • Options
        arrowear1arrowear1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        cmdrbenson wrote: »
        did it actually work for you

Just did this and it seems to have worked for me!
      • Options
        arrowear1arrowear1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
        edited November 2013

delet .patch folder
        delet piggs folder
        delet prepatch folder

then
        gameplay proxy st to US

good look ppl

-vince

Just did this and it seems to have worked. Thanks!
      • Options
        edited November 2013
        I'm going to try and download it through Arc and see if that helps will let you know
        Admiral Sash
        Commanding Officer
        Federation One
      • Options
        daywalkerhawkdaywalkerhawk Member Posts: 86 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        Hm i Remember when Prepatch first comes out i let i run through the night just to find it at the Morning that it was stuck at 95%. Maybethere was some error with the Prepatch and thats why it crashes in Loading screen while patching it so im trying the manual fix.

hope for the best that it dont crash anymore in Charscreen.
      • Options
        edited November 2013
        I'm going to try and download it through Arc and see if that helps will let you know

:D im on arc trying to get it to work thru steam, i think we are both doomed :D
        nerf.jpg]
      • Options
        richardevegarichardevega Member Posts: 234 Arc User
        edited November 2013

delet .patch folder
        delet piggs folder
        delet prepatch folder

then
        gameplay proxy st to US

good look ppl

-vince

Hmmmmm but correct me if im wrong but wouldn't it just take the files from tribble as i think i always hear that if u patch tribble before it goes to live it just imports the downloaded files to Holodeck. So im guessing that the problem will just import as well and we will be right where we started.
      • Options
        evilbsg62evilbsg62 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        that "loading material files" is part of the DX 11 update an gfx updates the dev team did. try removing your game client from compatibility mode if you are running win 7 or 8 this may cause it. and put it in administrator mode lvl privileges if your running win 8.1 atm there is some issue with the firewall on x64

if none of this works put your game in safe mode and take the client out of DX11 in the game settings if your running older OS es as this is proper DX11 now an will make older computers crash trying to run it
        Section 31Lane/Jeffjr/Varek @jeffjr USS Stadi/USS Grendel/USS AshigaruDreadnought Class Refit / Avenger Class Refit/Rhode Island Class Refit"With your shield or on it"/"Mors venit ad omnes."/"One with courage is a majority"https://www.youtube.com/@jeffjr84
      • Options
        edited November 2013
        It didn't work, but I'm installing it again, but who knows i might be able to play before the Maintence. Has there been anymore updates since the last one
        Admiral Sash
        Commanding Officer
        Federation One
      • Options
        richardevegarichardevega Member Posts: 234 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        It didn't work I patched the 12gb and nada still crash with the same ticket # 18897741
      • Options
        tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        I can't get on today. Several times the game has crashed before I can get past the character selection screen. Please fix this.
      • Options
        edited November 2013
        Ticket # 18897741

Alright Cryptic get your heads out of your asses and get this FIXED. I'm been doing everything i can and I'm still get that same damn Ticket number, pretty soon I'm going to give up and not Play at all anymore.
        Admiral Sash
        Commanding Officer
        Federation One
      • Options
        ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        same problem! Ticket number: 14179165
      • Options
        ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
        edited November 2013
        Started happening to me too:

I log into STO, as when I transporting down to the Starfleet Academy, it crashed.

I try logging in again, but after I choose my character, it crashes.

Ticket #14179165

PLEASE HELP!!!!
      • Options
        edited November 2013
        Ticket # 18897741

Alright Cryptic get your heads out of your asses and get this FIXED. I'm been doing everything i can and I'm still get that same damn Ticket number, pretty soon I'm going to give up and not Play at all anymore.

+1 on that
        nerf.jpg]
      This discussion has been closed.