test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Something special should be done for Season 8

kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
This will be the first Star Trek season to make it past 7. They should have something to mark this achievement in game. It could be something decorative at Starfleet academy or even personal item like the fireworks.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
-I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
-The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
Post edited by kdawgenigma on

Comments

• neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The game is only 3years old,the shows lasted 7 years, (except TOS, and Enterprise)

Don't confuse a update, with a Season on a TV show.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    The game is only 3years old,the shows lasted 7 years, (except TOS, and Enterprise)

Don't confuse a update, with a Season on a TV show.

QFT!

Drives me crazy when Stahl (or was it Geko) bragged about getting past 7 Seasons and surpassing Star Trek itself, when STO seasons =/= TV Seasons.

Call me in another 3 years if STO is still around and thriving, then it will be a real reason to celebrate.
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Whether game seasons equal TV seasons or not, there should still be a celebration :) The game's come so far since launch in many ways
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll give you the whole "it's only been 3 years" thing. But on paper, we have surpassed the 7 season wall.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'll give you the whole "it's only been 3 years" thing. But on paper, we have surpassed the 7 season wall.

If you start giving Star Trek Online awards for how long it has lasted we're going to have to give them out to every other fanfic as well.

Do you want to be responsible for that?
  • captaincreoscaptaincreos Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This will be the first Star Trek season to make it past 7. They should have something to mark this achievement in game. It could be something decorative at Starfleet academy or even personal item like the fireworks.

if they want to compete with the Tv show seasons then every "season" we need 22-24 featured episodes. then maybe we can talk about it compairing.

until then apples to oranges. It is pretty sweet that this game has made it 4 years in February!
    edited November 2013
    if they want to compete with the Tv show seasons then every "season" we need 22-24 featured episodes. then maybe we can talk about it compairing.

until then apples to oranges. It is pretty sweet that this game has made it 4 years in February!
    Either way, STO has surpassed the 7 season mark in spirit.

It may only be 3 years technically, but who cares? :) A celebration will do well for this
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    trek21 wrote: »
    Whether game seasons equal TV seasons or not, there should still be a celebration :) The game's come so far since launch in many ways

The game has also gone backwards in so many ways.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Oh come now, that's not fair at all. Just because it's not a Tv show doesn't mean there's not a lot of work put into it. Geez, it's like you guys keep forgetting how hard it is to make videogames. :rolleyes:
    edited November 2013
    druhin wrote: »
    The game has also gone backwards in so many ways.
    That, much like the 'come so far' aspect, is merely a matter of opinion XD
    Was named Trek17.

• tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2013
    QFT!

Drives me crazy when Stahl (or was it Geko) bragged about getting past 7 Seasons and surpassing Star Trek itself, when STO seasons =/= TV Seasons.

Call me in another 3 years if STO is still around and thriving, then it will be a real reason to celebrate.

It was a joke. Brought on by PLAYERS bringing up the 7 season thing.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It was a joke. Brought on by PLAYERS bringing up the 7 season thing.

TBH, I'd say that TV seasons are a joke these days. 11-13 episodes being a season, often with there being months stuck in the middle of those 11-13 episodes. I miss shows having full seasons, starting at the same time, etc, etc, etc. These staggered mini-seasons spread throughout the year are just tedious.

TINFOIL HAT TIME: Obviously just something done to sell either DVDs/Blu-Rays or subscription services.
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    We are definitely headed into uncharted Trek territory with an 8th season. The real question is when do we get the STO Blu-ray? :eek:
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm a celebration for its longevity you say?

I know! I've got a great idea. Every year the game is still running, they should hold an event around the week it was first launched.

They could call it an anniversary event or something. Have some rewards, maybe give away a free ship.

Do I have to think of everything?
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Always up to celebrations, headbutts and drinks. Bring it on. :D

In all seriousness, hope the game runs well and long, also see no reason why we should not celebrate the fact the game is still trying to bloom. It's not perfect by far, has a long way to go, but hey, may get even better. I'm playing just for a month and a bit, and already had so much fun. Keep going STO :D
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Hmm a celebration for its longevity you say?

I know! I've got a great idea. Every year the game is still running, they should hold an event around the week it was first launched.

They could call it an anniversary event or something. Have some rewards, maybe give away a free ship.

Do I have to think of everything?

Sarcastic post is sarcastic. :P

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • deightonxdeightonx Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    i just cant wait to play season 8 ....and to see whats in stored within the game. :D Keep it up Cryptic on adding more enjoyable adds and story of the game ;)
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    TBH, I'd say that TV seasons are a joke these days. 11-13 episodes being a season, often with there being months stuck in the middle of those 11-13 episodes. I miss shows having full seasons, starting at the same time, etc, etc, etc. These staggered mini-seasons spread throughout the year are just tedious.

TINFOIL HAT TIME: Obviously just something done to sell either DVDs/Blu-Rays or subscription services.

I believe that for the average hour-long drama (especially sci-fi/fantasy, which requires more FX work), it takes something like 4-6 weeks to create an episode from writing to finishing post-production. A series will start production of a season a couple of months in advance of the first episode airing, and of course they can work on multiple episodes at once, as they're in different stages of production.

But sooner or later, the airing schedule catches up with the production schedule, and breaks need to be programmed in while production continues.

This can lead to a pretty significant loss of momentum for a show (I'm looking at you, Lost seasons 2 and 3), and the risk of losing viewers during the breaks who may not come back. IMO, it can also lead to some pretty lousy episodes of television, especially in the back half of a 23-26 episode season.

The shorter seasons provide the production team with enough time to finish all of the episodes quickly enough that they can be aired on consecutive weeks, without breaks. The writing can be stronger (again, IMO). The downside, of course, is that there's a much longer break between seasons.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To celebrate, Free Lockboxes for EVERYONE!

Keys available in the C-Store.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    To celebrate, Free Lockboxes for EVERYONE!

Keys available in the C-Store.

Now that's what I'm talking about!!

Now... I'm not sure what is worse; waiting for season 8 or waiting for the next episode of The Walking Dead :O
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • buccaneerdtbbuccaneerdtb Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited November 2013

They would have to shut the servers down except for 1 hour a week for 22 weeks per year to compete with the shows. STO has already surpassed all the shows and movies combined.