test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[STO VIDEO] Claws and Paws

starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Ten Forward
Gizmo wakes from a diagnostic cycle to discover the Horizon has been overrun with Klingons and the crew are no where to be seen, forcing the Exocomp to join forces with the only other crew member who appears to be left onboard.

Star Trek Online - Claws and Paws
http://youtu.be/MP2Ah0_RHyQ

Hope you enjoy watching this TNG inspired video. I had a lot of fun making it! :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I just saw it on YouTube..

Speechless

Hey Cryptic, give this guy a job as an author and story adviser.
  • Options
    raventomoeraventomoe Member Posts: 723 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Seriously, this is awesome. How did you manage to do this?
    "The Multiverse, the ultimate frontier..."
    Thus begins...Lyrical Trek
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Superb! :D
  • Options
    kalvorax#3775 kalvorax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That...was...awesome :D

would be cool for a trailer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Go Gizmo! Go Leo! Awesome video. :D
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thanks guys. I really enjoyed making this one. :)

It's a bit weird finally seeing it committed to video because I'd had the idea for about a year, so it's great to be in a position to now share it.
    raventomoe wrote: »
    Seriously, this is awesome. How did you manage to do this?

The sets are created in The Foundry, or existing maps in the game. I use demo record to capture the action, and do costume changes within demo record on playback. What you see in the video as Leo or Gizmo running around is actually my captain with the appropriate pet running behind him. I use the Demo Record Launcher to do the costume change when I set up the camera sweeps. That is then captured with Fraps and each clip loaded into a video editor program.

If that all sounds time consuming, it's because it is. :o

A massive shout out has to go to the creator of the Demo Record Launcher (who I believe is Rachel Garrett) because I wouldn't be able to make these without it.

These things take a long time to make. I've often thought about keeping a log of each one to see exactly how long, but I already know it's an embarrassingly long process, and I would probably stop making them if I knew exactly how much free time these take up.

Anyway, I'm pleased people are enjoying them. There's more to come. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Star, how did you do the display close-ups with the texts?
    I didn't know you could create your own screen displays.
    The Gizmo countdown was incredible.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Star, how did you do the display close-ups with the texts?
    I didn't know you could create your own screen displays.
    The Gizmo countdown was incredible.

It's funny you should ask that, because I was going to write a blog about it on my website. :D

Basically it's Microsoft PowerPoint, with timed animation effects. I used a screenshot of one of the consoles to get the outer frame, but the rest of it is just text boxes and auto shapes. I had great fun making it.

The next video uses another LCARS visual to show a self-destruct countdown which I made a few days ago, so you will get to see that on the next vid.

Thanks for asking. :)
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Bah! Fed propaganda - To think a mere housecat and a Roomba could defeat the glorious Klingon forces!

:D

Good work on the video - How about doing a KDF one of targs versus Bobo? :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    burstorion wrote: »
    Bah! Fed propaganda - To think a mere housecat and a Roomba could defeat the glorious Klingon forces!

Well I was thinking of doing another one where an Epohh takes on a Voth T-Rex.

I joke, of course! :P
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    burstorion wrote: »

They didn't defeat the Klingons, they outsmarted them.

The Feds wiped the Klingons .... (can i write this word in german too? :D
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    It's funny you should ask that, because I was going to write a blog about it on my website. :D

Basically it's Microsoft PowerPoint, with timed animation effects. I used a screenshot of one of the consoles to get the outer frame, but the rest of it is just text boxes and auto shapes. I had great fun making it.

The next video uses another LCARS visual to show a self-destruct countdown which I made a few days ago, so you will get to see that on the next vid.

Thanks for asking. :)

The only thing I understood was Power Point, and that was also the moment you lost me :D:D
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Star, one more question:

The bgm you use in the video up to 1:50 (where Gizma activates), where do I know it from?
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Don't underestimate the federation cats and their robot allies.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Star, one more question:

The bgm you use in the video up to 1:50 (where Gizma activates), where do I know it from?

It's not one soundtrack, it's separate pieces of music, but I've overlapped and layered them to some extent to make it flow. They're all by Ron Jones, and from two different The Next Generation episodes, namely The Price and Booby Trap. :)

In the end titles, I list them all, and they're all available from Amazon for MP3 download, which is where I got them from. I did that to give it a TNG feel at the beginning to set the scene.

There's a DS9 themed video coming later this month, where I use two pieces by Dennis McCarthy to give the video a Deep Space Nine feeling at the end, and they will be listed in the end titles too, and they're from The Emissary.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    maybe I should start watching the end titles too? :D

It reminded me of an old sci-fi film like Aliens or something