test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official "Assimilation of the Innocent" Feedback Thread

salamiinfernosalamiinferno Member Posts: 159 Cryptic Developer
Official "Assimilation of the Innocent" Feedback Thread

Please leave any feedback, comments, bugs, or concerns here about this post tutorial episode.
Post edited by salamiinferno on

Comments

• captainjk740captainjk740 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I got stuck there, too. I played a Joined Male Trill Science Officer. You can't beam back to the ship or drop the mission. You can't logout and login again to get back into space. Instead, you're put right back on Vega when you login. Your toon is permanently stuck there.:(:confused:
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When I reached the surface of Vega I found no Borg and no colonists to rescue on my human male Starfleet engineer, the map seemed stuck at 52% completion as well. Also, I kind of miss the Vega colony being at night when the Borg attack, dusk feels a little boring to be honest.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • voyagerfan9751voyagerfan9751 Member Posts: 1,120 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I seem to have this issue as well. the tasks complete, but I am stuck unable to beam up.

One thing I noticed, The instance seems to take all in it into account. So after defeating the borg after first entering the colony, I was finding that things were completing without me doing anything. Not sure if this is related to the issue, but it does make it difficult to follow the story.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Game crashed when I tried to beam down to colony.

:(
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Right when I beamed down to Vega I clicked on the x inthe tip window that had popped up and it crashed.

Bug report: 19685259
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • appletontrekappletontrek Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I am stuck here. Only objective is to beam out and I can't do that? Mission is broken
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Also stuck hear. Crashed when I beemed down. No way to beam out, nothing to do.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2013
    Worked fine for me.
    However, the borg need to be more of a thread. You are supposed to be afraid of them, and run like hell.
    Which in the current state they are not. They are just walking targets.

Could be a good point where to explain and show the players about the device slots of their character by either giving them a remodulator and make the borg adapt. Or expand and show them the replicator function of the inventory.
  • trillinitiatetrillinitiate Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Worked fine for me.
    However, the borg need to be more of a thread. You are supposed to be afraid of them, and run like hell.
    Which in the current state they are not. They are just walking targets.

Could be a good point where to explain and show the players about the device slots of their character by either giving them a remodulator and make the borg adapt. Or expand and show them the replicator function of the inventory.

Why stop there, why necessitate Boff Powers. Shield regen, Hull repair. Heck lets make the whole tutorial like they were a Max character with Max Boffs.

I realize people want the borg to be like the endgame, but this is not the endgame. As the dev said, this is for people who are brand new, and have never played the game before. Introducing too much right off the back is going to overwhelm them, or make the whole game unnecessarily hard. Neither is a good strategy. Leave well enough alone.
    edited October 2013
    Well previously the Borg's inability to adapt was mentioned by the EMH in the original tutorial, which itself was referencing the original STF's, however since this seems to be telling a completely new story a good in-game reason should be mentioned in the NPC text somewhere as to why we don't need Frequency Remodulators now but will later on in the game.
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Well previously the Borg's inability to adapt was mentioned by the EMH in the original tutorial, which itself was referencing the original STF's, however since this seems to be telling a completely new story a good in-game reason should be mentioned in the NPC text somewhere as to why we don't need Frequency Remodulators now but will later on in the game.

Its been a very long time and my memory is a bit fuzy. But I thought the borg were easy in the tutorial because our future selves went back in time through the gate in Khitomer accord and sabotaged the borg upgrade do-hickies. Most of the story telling was removed when they separated the stf missions into ground and space elements but is it still not an acceptable reason?
  • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I have two characters stuck on Vega now. I entered the mission at 96% for killing Borg, and the only Borg that shows up every long now and then doesn't count for some reason. I'm unable to continue. I hate roadblocks.

Why are these starter missions unavoidable, anyway? They're effectively an extension of the tutorial, so you might as well call them part of the tutorial.
    edited October 2013
    Its been a very long time and my memory is a bit fuzy. But I thought the borg were easy in the tutorial because our future selves went back in time through the gate in Khitomer accord and sabotaged the borg upgrade do-hickies. Most of the story telling was removed when they separated the stf missions into ground and space elements but is it still not an acceptable reason?

That was indeed the case, much of the original story reasons don't seem to apply anymore in the new tutorial, so it might be better if the Borg's "disconnectedness" at this time is contributed to the virus that Voyager infected them with decades earlier.
    edited October 2013
    Okay, I logged back in to the Vega Colony, and things have changed a bit. My objectives are now:
    Beam Out Captured Civilians: 0/3
    Defeat Borg in Vega Colony: 52%

Also, there are now nice objective circles pointing out locations where there are no captives or Borg.

The negative progress is discouraging, but it's not like I could have completed the mission anyway.

Actually, after having tried this a few times, I'm getting a hunch that the problem here might be with sequential objectives. Whenever the mission resets, there are players who are in the plaza, and they promptly kill the Borg and tag the civilians... but those objectives haven't come up yet. First you need to complete the objectives at the gate, which can be kind of hard to do if you're already inside the gate and the gate is closed. Once the gate objectives are finished, the plaza objectives can't be completed because the captives and Borg don't respawn. Well, except for that one pesky Borg who doesn't count for anything.

If that's the case, then that's a design failure. Players shouldn't be locked into the map in the first place. With players logging back into the plaza instead of the starting point, any sequential objectives can get mangled. I suggest replacing the sequence with objectives that can be completed in any order, AND allowing players to leave the planet before finishing the mission.
    edited October 2013
    mirai222 wrote: »
    Okay, I logged back in to the Vega Colony, and things have changed a bit. My objectives are now:
    Beam Out Captured Civilians: 0/3
    Defeat Borg in Vega Colony: 52%

Also, there are now nice objective circles pointing out locations where there are no captives or Borg.

The negative progress is discouraging, but it's not like I could have completed the mission anyway.

Actually, after having tried this a few times, I'm getting a hunch that the problem here might be with sequential objectives. Whenever the mission resets, there are players who are in the plaza, and they promptly kill the Borg and tag the civilians... but those objectives haven't come up yet. First you need to complete the objectives at the gate, which can be kind of hard to do if you're already inside the gate and the gate is closed. Once the gate objectives are finished, the plaza objectives can't be completed because the captives and Borg don't respawn. Well, except for that one pesky Borg who doesn't count for anything.

If that's the case, then that's a design failure. Players shouldn't be locked into the map in the first place. With players logging back into the plaza instead of the starting point, any sequential objectives can get mangled. I suggest replacing the sequence with objectives that can be completed in any order, AND allowing players to leave the planet before finishing the mission.

I think the issue is with having multiple people in the instance. If it was a single instance like most missions, then there is just you and you can go through the objective in the sequence you need.

But having it where more then one person can beam in cause too many problems with people potentially being at different orders as they enter the planet. As mentioned earlier (or maybe in another thread), it also makes the story confusing because you end up zipping through as someone else does other objectives
    edited October 2013
    Wow! I logged in this morning, and managed to get all the way to the objective to beam up to my ship. If only beaming up to the ship was an actual option, I might have been able to complete the mission.

As it is, I'm still stuck.
  • jestersagejestersage Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here's the issue at hand:

Multi-people instances in tutotial may be first in STO, but definitely not as a whole for Cryptic.

The Millenium City Tutorial / disater zone (basically tutorially too) from CO are multi-people. People can quit in the middle, come back, and resume, and was not affected by other people's action unless they are playing the shared mission, which is resolved by using timers (ala Paradise City)

Tutorial is basically the most important mission design, because whether one play your game or not DEPENDS on how well the tutorial is done. Even though I am KDF, I do hope the tutorial for Fed is at least as good as both KDF and RR.

Cryptic, please contact the CO team and borrow their code.
  • lostusthornlostusthorn Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2013
    The original fed tutorial is multi person, and i personally loved how that felt and was saddened that the rest of the game is so single player.
  • grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    This morning, trying with previous 'stuck' characters, they remained stuck. But deleting a stuck character, and starting from scratch I was able to complete the mission. Anyone with a 'stuck' character should try the same...
    edited October 2013
    The original fed tutorial is multi person, and i personally loved how that felt and was saddened that the rest of the game is so single player.

and while I didn't mind the multi-person aspect in the original tutorial, it is a hindrance in this one.

You end up getting credit for tasks you didn't do. Story elements are missed because different people are on different objectives.

Multi-person was fine in the old tutorial, but I don't like it for this one.
    edited October 2013
    This morning, trying with previous 'stuck' characters, they remained stuck. But deleting a stuck character, and starting from scratch I was able to complete the mission. Anyone with a 'stuck' character should try the same...

I started from scratch, and everything went much smoother this time. I was actually able to complete the mission properly and get to Earth spacedock.
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I didn't realize there was a separate thread for this mission - I thought it was still part of the tutorial, and there seems to be plenty of Vega-related feedback in the tutorial feedback thread. Just a heads up.

I can understand the urge to make the Vega maps multiplayer, but tying everyone's objectives together makes it possible for a new player do not have to complete any of the objectives themselves.

The tutorial told me to equip a kit, but I hadn't yet arrived at the crates where you pick one up.

I believe Captain Vo'Lok field promoted me to Ensign, but when I speak with Quinn, the conversation indicates that he made me a Lieutenant. And then Quinn promotes me...to Lieutenant.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • rogueicerogueice Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    So I got as far as beaming down to Vega, beaming out two group of colonists and then getting the armor. When that happened, one of those help pop-ups activated (despite me disabling them earlier) and then the game crashed. Reloaded and apparently all of the objectives were completed. So I ended up going back to my ship, the Renown thanked me for me efforts and I left for ESD. :confused:

So I can't actually give any real feedback on this part of the tutorial because the game skipped me through the whole thing! :eek:

And now it says I have to go back to Vega colony. :(

But I'm stuck on ESD so I can't! :mad:
  • alphaomega1500alphaomega1500 Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Same here.

But now I can't even get that far in the new Tutoral. Because if the Brek Even {Elsa} bug.
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Created a new toon... played through the mission was sent to ESD... and now stuck... nothing to do... and I can't beam out.

Mission objectives says I need to go back to Vega.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    oK... Created a new character to test again... this mission finishes while you are in space around vega (Hail to complete BEFORE warping to ESD).

Then it picked up as normal.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Looks good to start with, although I could not progress past the first section after getting a CTD.

Issues:

Unable to select bridge officers for away team, which I presume is a bug since when on the ground Flores keeps talking to me with the planet surface as the background.

Freezes and CTD's when I go to pick up a kit from the crates after speaking to the group by the gate.

Looks good so far though, will try again tomorrow perhaps with a new toon.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Finally got to this mission after getting though the Tutorial without bugs.

First Off, and this is very important:

VEGA IS NOT IN THE BETA QUADRANT! IT IS "NORTHWEST" OF EARTH!

You guys do have the Star Trek Star charts, do you not? :rolleyes:

Would've been a golden opportunity for you to add the missing sectors of the Alpha Quadrant and instead of Pollux, you could've used Tellar or Altair.

Likes: The new "Vega" Colony was better than it originally was and had a good floor.

Dislikes:

1) Borg assimilating an entire world within a few minutes.
    2) Federation not noticing a HUGE wave of Borg Cubes
    3) A Borg Transwarp Hub magically appearing out of the blue.

Massive Dislike: Those Borg Voiceovers............they are absolutely horrible, worst thing I have ever heard in any game ever since I started playing games with the original Atari.

The Story: Is just horrible, it's like a bad Foundry mission. (No Offense) I really wish you didn't murder the original Tutorial / Khitomer Accord storyline. That was one of the best things of STO and now it's gone......

Now with this new story, it makes absolutely no sense that the Borg suddenly appear, undetected, set up camp at Vega, assimilate the entire world, and never are heard from ever again.

Please, don't murder a good thing. Restore the original story.
  • commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Has anyone found how to get off ESD. I'm stuck there as well.