test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Defense of New Romulus

royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
edited September 2013 in Romulan Discussion
I thought there was a thread about this mission but my search fu is weak. Haven't tried it yet, thought I would get some advice from teh Collective. :)
"You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
--Red Annorax
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    My preference is to use a D'D with an A2B build. IMO the best way to handle it is to tank like your life depends on it(because it does) and keep shooting at the Elachi until they eventually die.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If you find yourself near the Command Ship, use all the tricks you have at your disposal to eliminate it. (I dropped a turret, called my Nimbus Pirate buddies, and used the console I - er - "borrowed" from a Rhode Island class to maximize the attack power I brought to bear. The entire mission was finished inside five minutes, because when the Command Ship dies, everything else runs away.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • oracion666oracion666 Member Posts: 338 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you find yourself near the Command Ship, use all the tricks you have at your disposal to eliminate it. (I dropped a turret, called my Nimbus Pirate buddies, and used the console I - er - "borrowed" from a Rhode Island class to maximize the attack power I brought to bear. The entire mission was finished inside five minutes, because when the Command Ship dies, everything else runs away.)

What he said. Your best bet is a beam boat. Skirt the outside of the first few waves and pick off stranglers, while also going for those your npc allies are gunning at. When the final wave comes in, focus on the command ship. You can ignore the rest. They'll be focused on your meat shield npc friends.
    Formerly known as Echo@Rivyn13
    Member since early 2011

• warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    This mission has been nerfed to mindnumbingly simple levels. You can sleepwalk through this supposed "battle." When LOR released, this mission actually felt like a battle. Now it's an absolute joke.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    All you really need to do is remain cloaked until the help deals with each wave and if you really want to, though not necessary, you can take out a few ships in each wave.

This was not the case when LOR was first released, this battle was epic indeed and then they nerfed it to this...all you really need to do is remain cloaked until you are told its over and New Romulus is saved...

Very sad but true...:mad:
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    How much have they nerfed it? I've played through it once when LoR first came out and it was quite hard but an epic battle none the less. Is it really that easy that you just have to stay cloaked and let the NPC's take care of it? When I did it all the NPC's got owned and it was just me duking it out with the whole Elachi fleet!
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
    edited September 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    How much have they nerfed it? I've played through it once when LoR first came out and it was quite hard but an epic battle none the less. Is it really that easy that you just have to stay cloaked and let the NPC's take care of it? When I did it all the NPC's got owned and it was just me duking it out with the whole Elachi fleet!
    Did you play it on tribble in the beta? If not, then you never played the original difficulty. that mission was a lot like doing a Borg Red Alert with 4 npc ships as your team... Ouch.

The NPCs always get owned. But some of the npc ships are immortal and instead of being destroyed go into a repair cycle. Eventually they'll wear down the Elachi fleet simply due to their stubborn refusal to die. Quick it is not.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I've done this mission before the nerf, it was pretty doable and fun imo. Haven't done it after the nerf though...
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Having refought it post nerf, the challenge has gone. First time through was pre nerf and i was resorting to kamikaze strikes.

Please cryptic bring back the pre nerf battle of new romulus, STO players need a epic battle that they can feel proud of as a victory.

I liked the Elachi space battles as you could not simply blast your way through, you had to think tactically and strategically to win them.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      edited September 2013
      stoutes wrote: »
      I've done this mission before the nerf, it was pretty doable and fun imo. Haven't done it after the nerf though...
      Oh yes, that mission was a blast. :D I used an Aux2Batt build in my D'D. Oooh yes.... That tested the limits of what I could do. :D Being able to tank those Crescent bolts makes the mission ssoooo much easier. :D
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      edited September 2013
      I kind of like a mission where I have to use some strategy, but I don't have to include dying and respawning as part of that strategy. Pre-nerf, that was the only way to get through it - you had to count on losing aggro by dying, which works, but doesn't feel like something to be proud of, at least to me.

Post-nerf, it wasn't an easy battle (because I'm a Warbird commander, not a Bolian merchant - I'm not going to hide behind my mother's skirts while my allies take all the damage), but at least I didn't have to include my own repeated deaths in my tactical plans...
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      edited September 2013
      Pre-nerf, I'd thin the Elachi ranks a good bit before each death. I did die several times, but I'd take quite a few Elachi with me each time.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      What changed pre and post nerf? I only got to play it about a month ago (busy with other stuff), and only 'problem' I had was a lot of sound issues. What did it used to have?
      edited September 2013
      less Elachi ships to deal with. IE the mobs are somewhat smaller.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      edited September 2013
      I took 2 Romulan toons to 50 before the nerf to Defense of New Romulus. Died only once. The mission felt like a battle and you had to be on your toes.

Now it's a sleepwalk, catered to players that know next to nothing about the game.
      XzRTofz.gif
      edited September 2013
      I'm glad you feel so very l33t, War. Now please put your epeen away, or at least point it somewhere else.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      edited September 2013
      I'm glad you feel so very l33t, War. Now please put your epeen away, or at least point it somewhere else.

LOL, please, I'll point it at you for now :D

Nothing "l33t" about it. Simple basic gameplay. Even with a grasp of the game, you cannot deny "Defense of New Romulus" was the only PVE mission in this game that felt like a battle, and you needed to work for it. And you cannot deny that this current version of the same mission is an absolute sleepfest.

The NPCs on your side can do all the work and spam Cloaking Tractor Mines, you can just zoom around in circles like an idiot pretending like you made a difference. The Elachi Barrage is rarely used and even if it DID fire off, has been nerfed to the likeness of hitting a battleship with a soft-feathered pillow.

It is an absolute, total joke what this mission went to what it is now, centered around people that probably didn't know what Emergency Power to Shields or Engineering Team did for you.
      XzRTofz.gif
      edited September 2013
      Yes, War, I can indeed deny it. Since I don't spend hours per day studying proper starship tactics, I guess that means I "don't know how to play" - but I've fought a number of battles that actually feel like battles. Taking down all those ships over Nimbus III while pursuing Hassan, for instance, or fighting my way to that mining world the True Way has seized (can't remember the name of the place right now, but that takes some right tactical knowledge, unless you want to die through it a lot).

It's very nice for you that unless a mission slaughters people indiscriminately on Normal mode, it just doesn't count - but some of us have better things to do with our lives than wave our epeens about.
      Lorna-Wing-sig.png
      edited September 2013
      Yes, War, I can indeed deny it. Since I don't spend hours per day studying proper starship tactics, I guess that means I "don't know how to play" - but I've fought a number of battles that actually feel like battles. Taking down all those ships over Nimbus III while pursuing Hassan, for instance, or fighting my way to that mining world the True Way has seized (can't remember the name of the place right now, but that takes some right tactical knowledge, unless you want to die through it a lot).

It's very nice for you that unless a mission slaughters people indiscriminately on Normal mode, it just doesn't count - but some of us have better things to do with our lives than wave our epeens about.

That's okay. I hear your pain, and I provide you a link to help you out in improving your gameplay.

Thank me later!

And blowing up a small handful of frigates over Nimbus III and such doesn't really count as a battle, but I guess it is if you have difficulty with it. So the link above may help.
      XzRTofz.gif
    • telbasta7386telbasta7386 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      This mission wasnt too difficult with my ar'kif (hate the slowness of the d'd). Forward firepower was enough to make short work of the ships, I was using the quad cannons, one forward dual heavy cannon, two turrets on the rear, and two forward plasma torpedoes. I run cannon rapid fire 3/2 and torpedo spread 2/1.

I did have to use quantum absorbtion once during the second wave when I got a few too many ships focusing on me, other than that hazard emitters and Transfer shield strength was enough to keep my ship topped off.

During the final wave, I focused entirely on the command ship from a distance, closing in to close range once to use singularity jump for some extra control and damage on it.
    • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 430 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      After the nerf all you need to do is remain cloaked and go to the positions you are told to when prompted and you do not have to ever fire a weapon to win the mission...sad but very true.
    • mirai222mirai222 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
      edited September 2013
      Nothing "l33t" about it. Simple basic gameplay. Even with a grasp of the game, you cannot deny "Defense of New Romulus" was the only PVE mission in this game that felt like a battle, and you needed to work for it. And you cannot deny that this current version of the same mission is an absolute sleepfest.

I'll be happy to deny it too.

The mission wasn't nerfed, it was fixed. The ally ships were supposed to stay in the fight and help you out. When it was released, the allies got slaughtered and provided no real help. (Well, okay, some people got lucky, and the few remaining allies would break out of auto-repair just enough to slowly whittle down enemy ships, but I didn't see any of that myself.) Now the allies do what they were meant to do.

With the broken version, it wasn't a "battle", it was a metagaming puzzle game.