test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Elite Shields and Sci Ships

twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2013 in PvP Gameplay
So ehm, got access to elite fleet shields on my new fed sci, and ehm... Now I can't choose.

All shields are [cap]x2.
The [adapt] and [resb] mods are pretty much a given, for me, as I'll mostly be playing queued FvK - disruptor, plasma and antiproton probably much more common than the other three, kdf-side, methinks.

The thing I'm wondering about is this, though: do I need the covariants?

As a sci, flying sci vessels, I'll tend to be flying ships with a shield modifier of 1.3, 1.35 or even 1.43, with the latter two most often.

- The lootdropped covariant mk xi [reg]x2 I'm using now has about the same capacity as the Elite Regenerative [at 7686.9], with almost half additional regen [208.6 vs 296.6].
- The Elite Resilient has roughly 8% more capacity [at 8114], and roughly 25% more regen [208.6 vs 247.9]
- The Elite Covariant has less regen [208.6 vs 177.9] but a whopping 25% more capacity [at 9395.1].

*all values base values. The current shield effectively provides a shield cap of 9598, so some 25% above listed value, with only 1.3 shield mod ship and current deflector (no [ShdS] or [Stl] mods).

I'll generally be running shield power at an effective 75 or higher, depending on power settings. I'll be cycling EPtS1 and TT1 on global cooldown and run either TSS1, 2 or 3, depending on boffs. Also always pack a copy of HE. Considering that the shield modifier and skills will give all of these shields a pretty serious boost, might one of the other two be worth considering?

I mean, I was totally planning on getting the covariant, but then I started thinking along the lines of "I'm not going to go in, all guns blazing, pop a target and speed out. I'll be in somewhat longer engagements, most likely. If I'm not going to be able to pack enough shield heals to fill a massive shield, would it not be better to run shields that boost long-term survival instead?" Mainly looking at the regenerative here, but I suppose I should at least keep the resilient in the comparison.

tl;dr/main question:

Is a 15k-ish shield cap (don't know what it'll be exactly) worth it when you won't be able to replenish them in sustained combat? Or might it be more effective to get a more sizable boost every 6 seconds, on top of regular heals and potential procs (though I don't want to rely on procs too much)?
Post edited by twam on

Comments

• twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hm, good point about the "free heals" per minute.

Headed to the wiki and did the maths based on the formulas there.
    The difference between the covariant and regenerative is about 10k regen per minute, total (or 2,5k per facing), at 75 shield power (including EPtS, say). At a defensive power setting of 125 shield power, that difference is about 20k (or 5k per facing).

Assuming I don't immediately lose at jenga :p
    Pretty sizable difference. More than I'd expected.

2,5k cap or free 2,5k healing per facing per minute...
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Shields are the only thing that keep you from losing hull. The more shields you have, the longer your hull will survive. Furthermore, regen only occurs when you're not taking damage for some period, so it only happens when combat has ended, which typically means one of you has been killed. So capacity is more important to keeping you alive, regen is only important when you're healing up after the fight.
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Shields are the only thing that keep you from losing hull. The more shields you have, the longer your hull will survive.

Totally agree so far.
    Furthermore, regen only occurs when you're not taking damage for some period, so it only happens when combat has ended, which typically means one of you has been killed. [...]

But this, I don't agree with.

If you keep your ship info defense tab open in battle, you'll clearly see shield points being added every 6 seconds, equal to the listed amount of regen you're supposed to have. Even if there's no possible interference from procs or anything. To me, that says you also regen in combat - just way faster/more outside of combat. The 200-350 increments just don't really show on your HUD shield visual.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Resilient (Cap)x2 ResB.

You'll have no problem keeping your shields going, bleedthrough is gonna be a beeyotch, though.

The Cap is there to help with spikes. You'll have enough passive healing through passives and heals.

Resilient is the way to go.
  • renimaltrenimalt Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    twam wrote: »
    If you keep your ship info defense tab open in battle, you'll clearly see shield points being added every 6 seconds, equal to the listed amount of regen you're supposed to have. Even if there's no possible interference from procs or anything. To me, that says you also regen in combat - just way faster/more outside of combat. The 200-350 increments just don't really show on your HUD shield visual.

Shield regens at the same rate both in-combat (red alert) and out-of-combat. Hull does not; it experiences a significant drop during red alert. (Perhaps this is what morologus was thinking of?)
    Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!