test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Iconians: The 'Reapers' of STO?

takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Ten Forward
STO has just gotten really epic ever since LoR came out--and the Elachi are rather nasty bad guys.

However, after reading Dev Blog #37, which mentioned the Elachi Lock box for the first time, I realized that the way they're portraying the Elachi reminds me VERY STRONGLY of the Collectors from Mass Effect 2. The relationship between the Collectors and the Reapers, who were the big bads of the Mass Effect Trilogy, very strongly resembles that between the Elachi and the Iconians as laid out in Dev Blog #37.

So, given that information, are the Iconians going to be our 'Reapers'? If and when they finally appear in-game, will the Iconians call themselves 'our Salvation through Destruction', as the Reapers always did in Mass Effect?

It'll be epic either way, but the similarities I can see between the Collectors and the Elachi are rather eerie, and make me wonder how similar the Iconians will be to the Reapers.

Please, feel free to share your thoughts on this matter. :cool:
76561198160276582.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I hope not.

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole Mass Effect series (even the third one...the revised endings did a lot to fix #3, in my opinion), and thought the Reapers were excellent antagonists. But STO does not need to copy ME's format: while it's obvious that they're shaping the Iconians to be pivotal bad guys, the "ancient alien overlords waking up" trope has been done to death.

I'll wait to see what they eventually do with the Iconians. For now, though, I will simply say that I dislike any Elachi/Iconian connection. I prefer the idea of the Elachi being their own, independent faction, working towards their own insidious ends, rather than being someone else's puppets.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I considered the Iconians the Shadows and the Elachi the Drakh.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't think Cryptic will actually DO anything with the Iconians, but instead take elements from the TV shows, films, and books, put them in the game, and through some MacGyver-like writing, link them to the Iconians.

We will never actually encounter an Iconian. They will not appear before us, declare their intentions, and intimidate us with power and technology beyond our understanding. They will forever remain as unseen antagonists pulling strings behind the scenes.

"Yeah, we're gonna conquer the galaxy...eventually! Just you wait!" :P
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    I don't think Cryptic will actually DO anything with the Iconians, but instead take elements from the TV shows, films, and books, put them in the game, and through some MacGyver-like writing, link them to the Iconians.

We will never actually encounter an Iconian. They will not appear before us, declare their intentions, and intimidate us with power and technology beyond our understanding. They will forever remain as unseen antagonists pulling strings behind the scenes.

"Yeah, we're gonna conquer the galaxy...eventually! Just you wait!" :P
    If they weren't the unseen enemy Cryptic would just need to find something else to be. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Ah, yes, "Iconians". We have dismissed that claim.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The new dialog added to Cutting the Cord in LoR is particularly strong with this connection. Hakeev says they need to open a specific gateway to bring the Iconians back into the quadrant. Sela says that Saren -err, Taris - had already tried to do this and got caught by the Federation for her trouble, and then leaves Hakeev to die trying as well. There's also the hint that our FE next month will deal with the gateway on New Romulus being activated and "something" coming out that has to be dealt with.
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    we saw an iconian dreadnaught...just a matter of time till they are the baddie of a season
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • gonjaagonjaa Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There are only so many type of characters in a story. Its not like the Reapers were original either, I always felt they reminded me of the shadows in Babylon 5. I'm sure the type of baddie is much older.

To me its like making the Vulcan/Romulan = High Elf/Dark Elf comparison or how everything is really Shakespeare.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It is a lot older. The archetype of an evil sealed or hidden away returning by mortal folly, mortal sin, or immortal manipulation is ancient. Pandora's Box, Genesis, etc.

There is something to be said when a lot of finer details of two versions from the same time start to line up, though. Giant walkers, a specific gateway in space that must be opened from this side by an agent to allow the full return, etc etc. It looks a lot more like Cryptic is getting its inspiration from recent examples like the Reapers than from ancient archetypes.
  • asardetemplariasardetemplari Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Bah! Let them come! I have slaughtered Borg, shattered Tholians and even defeated the Crystalline Entity!

If the Iconians want to pick a fight, then I'll give them one, or die trying!
    latest?cb=20160406061118&path-prefix=en

Dreadnought class. Two times the size, three times the speed. Advanced weaponry. Modified for a minimal crew. Unlike most Federation vessels, it's built solely for combat.