test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Quantum torpedos

bluejaye1bluejaye1 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
I've just been running through some of the early missions on a new character and I had a thought.

Why are the anti-Borg torpedoes Plasma based? Shouldn't the Federation have either Photon or Quantum anti-Borg torpedoes?
I know I prefer to have my Federation starship flying around with phasers and Photon/Quantum torpedoes.

By all means, let those who want to use Plasma torpedoes do so, but give us the opportunity to create faction specific torpedoes that still fit within the Borg weapon set.

What about everyone else, is everyone OK with being forced to switch to Plasma if you want to get the Borg weapon set with it's bonus?

Failing that, how about a some Federation based weapon sets?
I hope no one will wail too much at this next bit. Federation/Klingon faction rep, it seems to me to be a fairly logical progression since we now have rep for one of the 3 player factions, even though the Romulan's aren't quite a fully realised faction.
Star Trek Offline is currently online. We apologise for the convenience and are working to remedy the situation.
Post edited by bluejaye1 on

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited August 2013
    The Omega Torpedo is Plasma based because it is most likely adapted from recovered Command Ship debris, and the Borg use Plasma.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The Omega Torpedo is Plasma based because it is most likely adapted from recovered Command Ship debris, and the Borg use Plasma.

Yeah he/she is correct there, funny though how the Borg would be so incompetent as to forget to defend themselves against their own weapons.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    the Anti-borg tech is reverse engineered from the Borg's own tech.

The Borg use plasma torps.

Anti-borg torps would therefore also be plasma torps.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yeah he/she is correct there, funny though how the Borg would be so incompetent as to forget to defend themselves against their own weapons.

Just because you may specialize in a given weapon type it doesn't mean you can easily counteract it.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Just because you may specialize in a given weapon type it doesn't mean you can easily counteract it.

Than they truly are not the Borg, or are a bad representation of them.

• Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Than they truly are not the Borg, or are a bad representation of them.

If the borg where a true representation (if we were to extrapolate from the early indications, not the way they were developed after), of "borg", no weapon type would be adequate. They would adapt to every variation faster than new variations could be engineered.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluejaye1 wrote: »
    I've just been running through some of the early missions on a new character and I had a thought.

Why are the anti-Borg torpedoes Plasma based? Shouldn't the Federation have either Photon or Quantum anti-Borg torpedoes?
    I know I prefer to have my Federation starship flying around with phasers and Photon/Quantum torpedoes.

By all means, let those who want to use Plasma torpedoes do so, but give us the opportunity to create faction specific torpedoes that still fit within the Borg weapon set.

What about everyone else, is everyone OK with being forced to switch to Plasma if you want to get the Borg weapon set with it's bonus?

Failing that, how about a some Federation based weapon sets?
    I hope no one will wail too much at this next bit. Federation/Klingon faction rep, it seems to me to be a fairly logical progression since we now have rep for one of the 3 player factions, even though the Romulan's aren't quite a fully realised faction.

So let me see if I get this right.

Borg Omega plasma torpedo on a Federation starship = bad
    Borg cutting beam on a Federation starship = fine :confused:

The Borg set is meant to represent borg weapons. I use it together with the Assimilated set on a liberated Borg in a Kamarag. Another character uses 2 parts of the Romulan weapon set because I dislike plasma torpedos. So nope, I'm fine with how things are.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    bumblebushbumblebush Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well..On my ship i have all phaser arrays with the Borg torpedo and the romulan torpedo, and right now im fine wit it.
    Until i get my full sets and have the kutting beam array with the romualn plasma array, and see the damage from my phasers decrease alot,:eek: then im gunna think about changing to all plasma.:rolleyes:
    But would hate too, cuz I like to keep my Fed toon all original and have phaser like the federation is suppose to.:)

"This is Admiral BumBleBush!..Captain of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "This is Fleet Commander BumBle!..
    Vice Admiral of the U.S.S. Prometheus!..
    I order you to lower your shields and weapons or ill be forced to fire upon you!!!"
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    If the borg where a true representation (if we were to extrapolate from the early indications, not the way they were developed after), of "borg", no weapon type would be adequate. They would adapt to every variation faster than new variations could be engineered.

Technically they do adapt on here, it's just a weak resistance to whatever energy type is flung at them. But saying a plasma torpedo is designed to fight the borg is dumb, as plasma torpedo's will hurt any enemy. So calling it an anti-borg weapon is completely a farse, as it can really be considered a VRmkxii weapon with a unique item set bonus. If you are going to design something specifically for fighting the borg, than it should have a bonus when fighting that enemy over all others.

• Options
    stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's a no-limits fallacy. The borg 'adapt' to things if given enough time, but it should be noted that they only adapted to the Enterprise's deflector weapon because they assimilated Picard and got the info from him. The fleet at Wolf 359 didn't stop them either, but how much of that was being invulnerable to phasers and photon torpedoes, or making use of Picard's knowledge of Starfleet tactics.

We don't really know how the borg adaptation works, but we DO know that it doesn't always work: they couldn't adapt to Species 8472 or their weaponry, which was kicking their TRIBBLE. We don't see them adapt to kinetic energy-based weaponry or melee weapons (although for the latter, you'd have to be foolhardy to get into melee range with a Borg drone). They're also uniquely vulnerable to plasma coolant, so it's easy to infer they could be just as vulnerable to biological and chemical weapons. Borg adaptation has a limit.

I suspect as far as their ships are concerned, it's more that they're super powerful rather than them being invulnerable to phasers and torpedoes. The fleet in First Contact had managed to heavily damage the cube en route to earth, and was finished off as soon as someone took charge and directed mass fire at a vulnerable point. The film doesn't make clear why this point was vulnerable, in fact Data pointed out that it didn't appear to be a vital system Picard was targeting. But it could just as easily have been the mass fire that was the important thing - having all ships fire simultaneously at one point of the cube to overload all the defences/shielding there.
  • Options
    topsettopset Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    stofsk wrote: »

-snip-

We don't really know how the borg adaptation works, but we DO know that it doesn't always work: they couldn't adapt to Species 8472 or their weaponry, which was kicking their TRIBBLE. We don't see them adapt to kinetic energy-based weaponry or melee weapons (although for the latter, you'd have to be foolhardy to get into melee range with a Borg drone). They're also uniquely vulnerable to plasma coolant, so it's easy to infer they could be just as vulnerable to biological and chemical weapons. Borg adaptation has a limit.

Well put sir :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kirk's Protege.